Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

more historical ca photos
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Olustee Bus

Olustee Bus

Self righteous dumbasses! You can see the joy on their faces. They have successfully forced their morals on the populace.

3. swi66

swi66

Happens everyday...........

4. swi66

swi66

5. swi66

swi66

6. MrModelT

MrModelT

[​IMG]

This photo was obviously taken in the 1940's or early 1950's (before 1960 on account of the 48-star flag flying from the bike)

...But the one thing that stands out to me is.......why is there a 45-star flag (and a rather big one) flying in the back ground?

The 45-star flag was issued on July 4th, 1896 after Utah was admitted to the Union, but was void after July 3rd, 1908...when Oklahoma became a state.

7. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

I think late-'40s early '50s is right. But I'm thinking the explanation is probably not a complicated one. Just my theory: If the guy isn't a WWII vet, then he had family or friends who were, and he's a patriot and proud.

I'm guessing a grandparent had gotten the 45-star flag back when they were retired when Oklahoma became a state. If I were to switch places with this guy, I'd haul off and display Old Glory, even if it wasn't the correct, current version. If you were young, patriotic and a biker, what HAMBer wouldn't? From the good condition of the flag, I'd bet he hung it specifically to set up this picture, and I doubt he left it up long.

Though there have always been specific guidelines for handling and displaying the flag, I'd rather see it displayed than kept out of sight in these P.C. times. A lot of men and women died for our flag. My flag flies 24/7/365 (Something that annoys some of my neighbors around here.) But, I haven't had one complaint that it flies, rain or snow, plus overnight.

8. MrModelT

MrModelT

That I can see, but it still seems odd to me......If your going to display the "Ol' Glory", why would you display a voided flag that is 40+ years out of date? ...especially right after or perhaps during the WWII. I can certainly understand your point, I have a few 48-star flags that I have flown in the past...but it still feels wrong..."we don't have 48 states any more, we have 50" is my thinking.

There must be something more to this photo, like the flag has a specific meaning and he posed in front of it.....like it was the flag that was draped over grandpa's casket, who died during the Spanish-American War (1898) and his grandson is showing his wartime patriotic spirit and rebel look being photographed in front of Grandpa's flag....

This is not the first time I have seen something like this. The other was however, far more incorrect and should not have been. I have a photo of the Battleship U.S.S. Oregon (BB-3) taken in 1912 when she was here in Portland for the Rose Festival. In the photo, she is clearly flying a 48-star flag from her stern flag mount......but her U.S. Navy "Jack" (displayed only while in port or at anchor) is a 46-star flag.

Now why would a U.S. Navy vessel (especially one representing the U.S. Navy at a state festival) display an out of date national flag?

9. K0HY

K0HY
    from Colorado

This is Black Bear road outside Telluride, CO. That is a Jeep Cherokee and I think the picture was taken in the late 70's or early 80's. Fun road to drive.

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I would guess he is displaying the flag he has. If he had a big 48 star flag, then that's what he would put up.

11. ehdubya

ehdubya

Exactly, he doesn't look like a chooser ...or a star counter

12. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Thanks, MrModelT. I really appreciate the HAMB, as people (at least on this broader thread:p) can openly, I guess, think out loud. And, thanks to the other two posters, as well. :eek:

We're all speculating, IMO, but it's well-intended. I honestly believe that -- in certain circumstances -- the US flag might have been displayed IN HONOR of a person, ship, etc.

As regards the photo at hand, I honestly believe the biker guy didn't mean disrespect, but the opposite.:cool:

13. biscaynes

biscaynes

road?? i don't see no stinkin road. ;)

14. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

15. I have a 48 star flag on display hanging inside the picture window of my home. There were 48 states the day that I was born, and as far as I am concerned, there will never be more than 48 states no matter who says anything to the contrary. I plan on having a 48 star flag on display till the day I die. Any one that doesn't like it can take a flying leap. Of course if California were to fall off in the ocean..... naa, I'll still display my old obsolete 48 star flag. :)

16. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

now days, if you wheeled a cart full of change through a major city some shithead would jack you for it!

17. TurbofireV-8

TurbofireV-8

They had a similar shot on that tv show Pan Am, the show takes place in the early 60's, lots of cool cars!!! I'm sure it will get cancelled.... all the cool stuff does.

18. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One other thing, even back when this pic was taken that no one has taken into account. Has anyone priced a flag of that size? Not one of those fake printed POS, I mean a proper sewn flag?
    Not bloody cheap!!
    The guy does not look all that wealthy and Im sure that a flag of that size, even out of date would be proudly displayed for what it represents as a National Flag and not just to honor the individual states.

Cheers,
    Doc.

19. I guess I might as well throw in my 2 cents. I'm thinking that large flag was a coffin flag which was given to the widow of a fallen soldier as is the custom. It could very well be the 4th of July and everyone is in the spirit of the day, displaying any flag they have available.

20. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good call man, didn't think of that!

Doc.

21. Special Ed

Special Ed

Maybe. Looks way too large for that to me, but it's difficult to really judge the size from the angle... :confused:

22. I would think that this guys balls were so big he would have go over the edge due to the extra weight on the drivers side!!!!! If its the Black Bear Pass coming out of the box canyon that Telluride is in I've been on this pass many times on a trail bike (XR350 Honda) and it is truly breathtaking! I can't even imagine taking a full size Jeep Wagoneer on it, yikes!!!

23. RE: The flag, it is much too big for a casket flag, my quess is a decommissioned ship's flag. The reason, in my opinion for the display? This young biker has just joined the service and this is his going away photo to his friends and family, maybe Korean War). Maybe his Grandfather was the captain of the ship that was decommissioned or that they replaced the flag with a updated one. Just my .02. My bet is he is also going into the Navy.

24. Brimen

Brimen
    from Norway

From Wiki:
    "-Black Bear Road is a difficult, dangerous trail even for four-wheel drive vehicles. If you have to be rescued, expect a towing bill in four figures. In 1975 two New Jerseyans successfully completed the entire 4 wheel drive road from Red Mountain Pass to Telluride following this route while driving a 1970 Ford F-250 full size 2-wheel drive pickup. In order to negotiate the tight switchback curves, they had to resort to backing down every other switchback. This technique is not recommended. In 2004 a jeep slipped off the slope near the beginning of the switchbacks and fell several thousand feet, killing two of the passengers and severely injuring two others.-"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Bear_Road

Brimen
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brimen/

25. Wow, lips that never touched liquor...never sicker!

26. noboD

noboD

Another guess on the flag is it may be a state capital flag. I've heard in PA. they are only flown for a given amount of time, say a week, then given away by request.

27. My friend, Augie flies a 48 star flag because he HATES what happened in the 60's and since. He's stuck in the 50's..........

[​IMG]

28. My friend, Augie flies a 48 star flag because he HATES what happened in the 60's and since. He's stuck in the 50's..........

[​IMG]

29. Honest Injun there's a heep of livin' there. ;)

[​IMG]

30. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

What makes you think that you need a cart?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.