Register now to get rid of these ads!

56 Dodge Hemi in a 51 Shoebox

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51fordor, Sep 28, 2011.

1. 51fordor

51fordor

I am in the process of putting together a 51 ford and had purchased the jamco sbf adapter kit. Well now a buddy pretty much just put a running 56 Dodge 331 hemi in my lap and was wondering what all would be required work wise to get it in the car? Will I be able to modify the jamco kit, or will I need a totally different mount setup? Anyone else have pics of a hemi in a shoebox? Thanks so much in advance guys.

2. George

George

A buddy had a '55 331 in a 50 or 51 Ford. Chassis Engineering upper mount & I think he made his own lowers with an upright bolt & buscuit rubber. Fit in well.

3. 51fordor

51fordor

Sweet thanks George. I just think it would look so much better than a SBF in the car. I researched the hamb and only can find everyone talking about a old article from a mag in the 50's called teachers pet where they put a hemi in a 50 ford. Trying to find the pics from the article online now.

4. Hemi in a shoe box. Hell yes.

No nothing from your SBF kit is going to have anything to do with a Hemi. Sell it and go from there.

But hell yes jam the piece of pig iron in there.

5. George

George

Put Hemi tech index in search & start reading, if you haven't already!

6. 51fordor

51fordor

Just searched the index and holly crap. Awesome thanks man. Looks like this is going to be the patch I go with the car.

7. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, you have a 331 Dodge truck motor, probably. It's actually a Chrysler inserted into the Dodge truck. Cool motors! I think the 331 truck motor might have been '56 only. I think the rest might have been 354 Truck motors. Not 100% sure, though. I have the same engine. Slightly different than a normal 331. It's basically a 354.

Yep! Have fun reading! :)

8. 51fordor

51fordor

I actually am getting a whole 56 Desoto 4 door car that runs. It has a firedome Hemi in it that I am told is a 331. The car is said to have less than 70,000 miles on it. He owes me $800.00 and is offering me this to shut me up. Title included. The car itself is pretty bad off being a NC car sitting out under pine trees, but problly fixable.

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh... Nope! FireDome was a 330. You threw me off there because there WAS a 331 put in a Dodge truck in 1956. So yeah, you'll be getting a 330 DeSoto hemi and they are GREAT engines!

10. 51fordor

51fordor

Thanks scooter for the clear up. They just look bitchin. Excited to see it on my frame rails!

11. George

George

A 330 DeSoto for 800 is a good price & easier to fit in than the bigger Chrysler. DeSoto is different than the Dodge & Chrysler hemis parts wise, a lot of knowledge is transferable.

12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Example A: DeSoto FireDome 330 in Mark Ford's Model A Coupe :D

[​IMG]

13. fbama73

fbama73

SBF is a great engine. Hell, I have one that gets me everywhere I need to go. It would be dependable as hell in your shoebox. There's a ton of great reasons to go that way. But it has a coolness factor of about zero. Do the Hemi, you'll be so glad you did.

If someone dropped one in my lap, I guarantee it would end up in my Chevy.

14. 'Mo

'Mo

This one is courtesy of lleger66 here on the HAMB. Big Chrysler!

[​IMG]

15. 51fordor

51fordor

Thanks guys for all the input. If anyone out there has pics of the way they mounted it in a shoebox it would be helpful. Also I was wondering if the oil pan will be a problem with clearance. Anyone need a jamco sbf mount kit for a shoebox? LOL

16. George

George

My buddys had the standard rear sump pan on it. So if your DeSoto has rear sump you should be fine.

17. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

This is something else than the usual SBC/SBF engine swap for shoeboxes.I think its really interesting.I want to see some progress pics,i guess i am not the only one..