Register now to get rid of these ads!

Von Dutch did more than pinstripe...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. ryno

ryno

He was a man of many great talents

3. S.F.

S.F.

That knife is amazing

4. TerrorSwain

TerrorSwain

awesome story, and sweet looking knife. thanks for sharing dude!!!!!!!

5. I just thought he was a trendy logo on hats and t-shirts for d-bags ;)

PLEASE know that I was just kidding! (haha)

Seriously though... When I was on a certain social networking site a few years back I friended-fanned someone who was his niece (or something like that) and she was out to spread the word of who Von Dutch really was becasue she was tired of seeing all the logo'd t-sirts and hats on every trendy d-bag wannabe. She had said that his trademark was sold and that the family had no rights to how it was used and was not happy about how it was being used either.

Regardless, it's cultures like TJJ, and a few others, that keep his real talent front-and-center.

Thanks for sharing Ryan :)

6. sololobo

sololobo

Awesome! That knife is a prime example of this mans skills, he truly did it his way. Brother Howard will always be one of my ultimate artist heros. I saw him in Ca. at the drags with Ed Roth airbrushing T's and drinking a lot of beer and having a ball. Together they were a force deluxe. ~sololobo~

7. flypa38

flypa38

As is your avatar........I keep hoping she'll drop the One Shot someday.

I have a book by Pat Ganahl called "The Art, The Myth, The Legend" that's full of things other than paint. I'm a huge fan of his guns and especially the "invention" drawings. It's like off the wall Da Vinci stuff like rocket skates and gas powered pogo sticks. Neat book for anyone who likes Dutch's work.

8. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Kenneth Howard. To cool. Slim

9. I have that same book...he is one of those guys who could set his mind to something and do it...a buddy of mine named Greg Brotherton is that way everything from creating killer tee shirt art, skate boards and unbelievable sculptures...check his stuff out at www.brotron.com

10. It's great fun to walk up to some person wearing "Von Dutch" clothing and say something like "What's a Von Dutch?" Some of the responses are hilarious.

11. Way too cool. Thanks for sharing.

12. goose-em

goose-em
    from Louisiana

Sometimes talent and intelligence come across as crazy.

I am happy that my neighbors, and most people who meet me, think I am crazy, I am in good company.

13. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

They don't make them like that anymore....the man was truly "one of a kind"

14. jipp

jipp

im in good company.. iv been forging knifes for years. pats self on back.. how cool is that he was into forging.. thanks for sharing.
    chris.

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The is a bar here in AZ. that I used to frequent, (now closed but still standing) that was a favorite watering hole of Dutch's when he lived here. The interior of the bar has lots of dutch striping and details, 'cause from what I have been told, he used to pay his bar tab by doing it... It was fun going there as a "young adult" (early eighties) and knowing who Dutch was, seeing his work all over the place.

16. BaznJosh

BaznJosh

Who ever had the original license for the Von Dutch logo (I have a feeling I know who it was) made some cool stuff: Jeans, shirts etc. The same guy made windshield sun shades that said "Kenneth Howard hates you all". Hilarious. I once had an amusing conversation with a "fashionista" who, upon seeing my "look" (yea, I'm a greasy tattooed rockabilly punk) decided to enlighten me to his vast knowledge of his favourite designers: Von Dutch and Ed Hardy, and how they worked together on the Von Dutch line, then Hardy started his own offshoot fashion line with Audigier because Dutch got all the limelight!! SERIOUSLY, I was cracking up inside with every word he said!! I haven't laughed so much in a long time!!

17. bob-o

bob-o

Von Dutch is going to come back as a Zombie to hate us all from beyond the grave. He's that spiteful, haha. Or he'll come back just to eat all those bastards who've exploited his name. I hope he does, at any rate...

In all seriousness, the world of custom cars would have been a lot different without him. He is one of the greatist Artists of the 20th Century. Period.

18. justanotherguy

justanotherguy

Good little post! Any other Von Dutch art pieces out there owned by HAMB members?

19. Great stuff......

Thanks JAY....not Ryan :D

20. sunvalley54

sunvalley54
    Alliance Vendor

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  21. sunvalley54

sunvalley54
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks Man! I appreciate that.

22. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

That would be the old MinderBinders in Tempe, I believe.

23. jipp

jipp

i wish i would been able to drink let alone been living in az at that time.. would of been cool as hell to see hi bar art.. i can hear the bartenders now.. give von some whiskey he will give yo some incredible lines... :D
    vons like hell yeah i get to drink for free and paint, my life rocks.
    chris.

24. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Dutch seemed like a real cool(or crazy) dude, wish I coulda met him.

25. A few years back the Kustom Kulture Art Exhibit was at the Art Institute Of Baltimore and they had several of his pieces on display along with his airbrushed sweatshirt jacket with the bat. Fantastic stuff!
    I remember in the 60's we (east coast high schoolers) knew very little about the real Dutch but Rod and Custom had an article on him and I thought his pinstriping design of "Harvey Shaken By Cross Breeding" was so cool, I copied it onto the trunk lid of my '51 Ford,... no one got it?
    I hope he comes back and haunts the jerks who slapped his name on all that junk. I did ask a young lady who was wearing a Von Dutch shirt, who or what is that...she had no clue at all, just that they were IN and COOL:confused:

26. flamingokid

flamingokid

Every time D-bags start wearing my favorite T-shirts,I just put them away until the fad blows over for them.If I were famous and had a cool logo,I'd probably go nuts when seeing some 300lb'er in spandex wearing some crappy knockoff of my design.There ought to be laws....

Von Dutch was a master of many things.I would love to get more pix of his guns for my website and more of his bikes.

27. PurHell

PurHell
    from So Cal

Still kicking myself for not buying one of the Knives when he mad me the offer.. Thought at the time I couldn't afford it, but I could have...What a dumb Ass ....

Such is life...

28. Did a little favor for Dutch when he was doin stuff @ Knott's Berry Farm in the 70's. After a few hours of sluggin beers and shootin the shit, he presented me with a knife.
    Very cherished piece, I still got it and only show it to a special few, along with my "Ed Roth" neon clock.
    Thanx Dutch !!!!!!!!!!

29. flyin-t

flyin-t

My friend and neighbor here in Long Beach has some great Von Dutch stories as well as two Dutch knives. My buddy's is in his mid 60's and his dad use to own Long Beach Triumph back in the 1950s into the '60...maybe into the 70s, I don't know when it closed, but anyway Von Dutch use to live in a little tin shed behind the shop for a few years. They use to ride the river beds together on their english bikes and raise some hell so I'm told. Along with the knives he has some pictures to that are pretty good.

When i was a kid my dad was in a truck club, Classic Pickups, and we use to hold our meetings now and then at the Cars of the Stars over in Buena Park. Von Dutch use to work there and we'd see him sweeping the floors during the meetings. Sometimes he'd be working on a display, just setting things up, not striping unfortunately.