Register now to get rid of these ads!

Edsel Ford’s Custom 1934 Model 40 Special Speedster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Choptop, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Choptop

Choptop

[​IMG]

2. Choptop

Choptop

3. Love that speedster!

I'm in two minds about the resto. It was a great survivor & yet the resto respects its significance. It's really great to see this speedster how it would of appeared when Edsel had it built in '34. The green is understated and a definite improvement over the look at me red!

4. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Edsel was a creative force in his own way. Too bad Henry was afraid to give up some control & give Edsel the leeway he needed to run the company.

Instead, he gave him criticism, ulcers & an early grave.

JK

5. FourBangNCanuck

FourBangNCanuck
    from ON, Canada

My buddy restored that car this year. I was fortunate enough to assist him with the disassembly last year when I worked as a summer intern at RM. Had the opportunity to take a look at it last week before it shipped to Pebble. What a cool car!!

6. That green is so perfect!!!

7. Rikster

Rikster

Looks really great all restored and with new paint....

WOW

Here is some more info on the car

8. greazy john

greazy john

so cool , would love to see it in person..........

GREAZY HUBCAPZ CC

9. went looking on the net, found some more images

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. AG F/C

AG F/C

Very classy yet with some English roadster flair. Seems to resemble Jag 120 or maybe the Jag resembles the Ford?

I enjoyed the Edsel Ford House write up on it. It mentioned a welded aluminum frame but the one in the photos looks like its production steel for the day.

Thanks for posting.

11. Wow, a very sharp looking piece of machinery. Great to see it brought back to life for us to enjoy . I agree with the green as suitable color choice. It does look great !
    Thanks for posting it.

J168

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thank you for all the photos! It looks great restored, I really like the color combination. I think my fellow HAMB members know that they have an eye for good looking car design, and appreciate automotive history, not the same can be said for the Ford Barn A types.

13. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Everything about that car is beautiful.

14. Beautiful car!!!

15. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

16. 35cab

35cab

Just stunning, so understated, that rear view is perfection, would love to just sit and look at that car all day.

17. lukey

lukey

Thats cool! Maybe i missed it, but when/why was the front end styling changed?

18. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Great post, thanx for the pix. One question, was this car red in it's former incarnation? I seem to recall seeing it, or a very similar car, called by the same name but not in this livery. Gary

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  19. Got to see this one in person!!

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Yes, it was red, there is an earlier Edsel Speedster with a 1932 Ford grille shell, that us under restoration in Tennessee. It may turn up on a HAMB search. :)

21. Before restoration,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was also featured in The Rodders Journal #23

22. Choptop

Choptop

at the show...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. mikef1331

mikef1331

All of the versions of the Edsel Speedster look great, but my favorite is this version. With this grille/headlight treatment the Speedster looks more like an early Indy - Grand Prix racer.

24. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

I didnt know they were restoring it, it looks fantastic. Edsel Ford had an eye for design...a brilliant man.

25. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

x2. I also like the images of it from directly behind. Gary

26. 8dearborns

8dearborns

I've done a bunch of Restored Dearborn winning 32-33 & 34 Fords.
    I restored the Edsel Ford Prototype Roadster He and Gregory designed in 1932
    and built in September 1932. It won the Dearborn at the Silver Anniversary Grand Nationals at Dearborn.
    So it is with great interest I look at the photos of Edsel's "Restored" 1934 Speedster. For a car built in 1934, how does it manage to have a 24 stud
    engine which weren't made until 1938 and later? There isn't a 34 Ford part on that engine. How does it have Stewart Warner Gauges that were not made until the 1940's. They didn't even invented electric gasoline gauges till 1937. Why does it have 1940's shock absorbers on it? (on, and on, and on, etc.)
    You would think with the amount of money they must have spent on a THREE YEAR restoration, that somebody working on the car had a clue about early Fords.

27. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

I believe that car was continuously upgraded through the years.

28. roadwarrior32

roadwarrior32

Here is a photo of Edsel Ford's speedster that most of you have never seen before. It was taken by the late Bob Gegan when Earl Pallasch first purchased the car for his son Johnnie. I knew where the car was for many years, but thought it could never be bought. I should have been more persistant!!!

Attached Files:

29. AG F/C

AG F/C

Ummmmm..........

It is a custom that had a long life under the original owner/builder. The car is original so long as it is in a state that existed under the original ownership. May help to read the published documentation before flaming the restoration. Restoration in this context is as it was before the owner Edsel Fords passing in the late forties. I'd say it is very close to spot on.
    I guess the question is how far back to take the restoration. From my standpoint it should be the last known configuration within reason. These situationd can be beaten to death with no right answer ever being determined. Been in the middle of some and opinions are like snow flakes........

It's f'n beautiful!!
    Of course JMHO. :D

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  30. The37Kid

The37Kid

I didn't know Jim's car was finished, could you post some photos. The only problem I see with the restoration of the Green Speedster is the dating of it, sure it was started in 1934, but it is restored to a date in time much later, if the newest part is from 1940, then it is Edsels Speedster as it was in 1940. :)