Register now to get rid of these ads!

Modern Hot Rod Comics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. That's some pretty neat art! Are these magazines that can be bought at your local well sorted newsstand?

3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Probably not a newstand, I'd think comic book store.

4. bowtiemyk

bowtiemyk

Maybe Max Grundy should do a post apocolyptic hot rod comic.

5. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Correct- Or you can link to their webpages and probably order the books directly.

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I'll go to the comic book store and try to get them there, usually if I order something they get more than one...

7. autobilly

autobilly

Great looking strips, old subject matter modern style.
    Breeder always comissions great old style comic art by the brilliant Mr Norwell for the Rust Revival shows.
    [​IMG]

8. Glad to see hot rods back in comics...but I still miss Car toons magazine!

9. aceuh

aceuh

10. garth slater

garth slater
    from Melbourne

this stuff looks fantastic! i am going to order some rodd racer now!!!

11. ehdubya

ehdubya

[​IMG]

Good to see you don't discriminate against Italian factory hotrods :D

12. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

Racing has become a staple of Hollywood, but rarely has the high speed hi-jinx of car chases found their way onto the comic pages, for one over-riding reason: how do you depict speed with the static images of comics? But just as racing is about daredevils, a comics daredevil is bringing racing to comics.
    On June 21st, noted independent artist Toby Cypress is putting the pedal to the medal and his money where his mouth is with the Image one-shot Rodd Racer. Over the course of 80 pages, Cypress’ titular hero Rodd Racer must push himself and his car to the limit to win the futuristic Thunder Alley Rally and win his life back after getting in over his head in debt to a big-time gangster. Rodd Racer has been laboring over this book for years, even to the point of renouncing paid comics work in favor of working in a bakery to allow him to focus his creativity (and his midnight oil) into this one-shot.

Found this one on ebay for 8.00 an 80 page graphic novel (large comic book). Thanks for the heads up !!
    Also found Strange Science Fantasy for 3.00
    Could not find a Showdown comic ? most likely a story from Creature Feaure
    "Banished to hell for their unspeakable acts on humanity, Stitch and Merc form a car club called “The Fivehundreds." These Frankenstein looking greasers are promised by Satan that if they win the showdown race through the depths of Dante’s Hell, a race put on only once a century, they will be awarded the chance to raise hell on earth once again. The showdown follows them as they are challenged by a multitude of hot-rodding Creature’s.
    Demonic car clubs such as; The Wolf pack, rockabilly werewolves with muscle cars and The Devil’s Rejects, a skeleton crew of motorcycle bandits, are only a few of the competitors. Who will win this fuel burning, hotrod race and win the chance to be more then fiction, but a legendary creature on earth, once again."
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  13. flamingokid

flamingokid

I'm headin' down to the comic book store tonight.Thanks for giving me another reason to stimulate the economy.

14. 763 Motor Madness

763 Motor Madness
    from Santa Rosa

Thanks for featuring the work of Toby, Scott and myself. I'm a huge fan of their work and it's a honor to mentioned in the same article as them. For anybodies interest, The Showdown is a graphic novel and is in midst of being completed; hopefully by january. In the meantime if you want some hot rod stuff by me you can go to my site and order the Motor Madness books that i put out. Some of the work is from The Showdown as well as other hot rod pics: http://tgbart.com/TGB_art/Store.html

thanks again.