Register now to get rid of these ads!

11 digit vin search

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1958apache31, Jul 13, 2011.

1. 1958apache31

1958apache31

Does anyone have access to a vin database that allows you to search 11 digit vins? I did some research on this and have not come up with a whole lot. The VIN on my 58 apache is 3A58T117044...

2. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I seriously doubt there is much chance of this most states purge records after a certain amount of time and Im pretty sure its long past on 11 digit VIN's

3. squirrel

squirrel

what do you want to know about it? it's a 58 six cylinder short bed half ton built in Tarrytown....that's about all the VIN will tell you. If you know what state it was last registered in, that state dept of motor vehicles might be able to get some info on previous owners, but it's not likely they will give you the info.

4. 1958apache31

1958apache31

The title has been lost. I just need to make sure it is clear so I can retitle it.

5. You aren't going to find any websites that will let you plug in your VIN and spit out a report stating whether or not it has a clear title.

You need to go down to your local DMV and deal with it that way.

6. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Do you have the last owners registration and was it last registered in PA ?
    If not you are going to have to do the Enhanced Inspection for a new title in PA. Then it will be registered as a street rod in PA. You can go through a titling company and go that route but PA . can be a pain in the ass sometimes . If you are building the truck then make sure you get a receipt for ever damn nut and bolt you use ! KEEP ALL YOUR RECEIPTS FOR EVERYTHING YOU BUY FOR THE TRUCK ! The state wants their money from taxes mainly . As long as the truck is in very good mechanical conditions and is safe you won't have any problems getting a new title in PA . It's just the BS red tape that gets you pissed off . Just don't go and buy a damn title from someone and expect it to work . They do check the VIN numbers and when they don't match , well it's your ass that will pay in the end .
    Just do it the right way !

Retro Jim

7. DanTwoLakes

DanTwoLakes
    from wisconsin

3A is the series of the truck. 58 is the model year. T is for Tarrytown, NY, the assembly plant and the last digits are just a serial number, or production number. The guys are right, just go to the DMV explain what's going on and they can probably help you. When I brought my '48 coupe to Wisconsin, I took the Minnesota title to the DMV and was in and out in 5 minutes with new plates and a new Wisconsin title. You will probably need a bill of sale. They can tell you if your truck is stolen, but only if it was stolen in PA.

8. They can tell you if that VIN is in the nationwide stolen vehicle database. That is my understanding of that, anyway. This is how cops have recently recoverd various vehicles around the country that were reported stolen as far back as the 1960s, even after some that had had several owners over that period.

9. Tony

Tony

Another rather simple option, IF you know a police officer that is, is to ask him to run the numbers to see if there is anything in thier files.
    I've done it here in NY a few times. My dad is a retired county detective, and my cousin is a current town road patrol cop. They have checked their data base to see if whatever i was checking had been reported stolen.
    Here in NY i'm pretty sure it only go's back 10 years though.
    JUST an idea if it's possible for you.

Tony

10. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

I could help you out if it was 17 digits

11. 1958apache31

1958apache31

Do I go to the DMV before the build or after? The vin under the cab is basically non-existant. The VIN on the front frame is not in bad shape.. but I am putting a new IFS on it and this VIN will be removed when I cut the frame. Should I enhance the VIN under the cab? I will definetly keep all of the reciepts. Thanks for the help! BTW I do not have the old registration and I am unsure if it was last registered in PA.

12. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

Do ALL the title work before you build it, that way you dont build it for someone else!!!!

13. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Go to the DMV now They can explain the process to you, its easier to just do it their way to start with. Dont tamper with with the VIN. if you bought the truck you have a Bill of Sale ?

14. Swifster

Swifster

If it were me, cut that VIN on the front frame rail, clean it up, and reweld it to the front frame once the suspension has been fitted. You could also clean it up real nice and rivet it to the rail so that it can be seen. I'd also clean up the one under the cab so that it can be verified. Do not pitch the section of frame that you removed until the car is titled, so that you can show where the number came from.

You'll also need the plate attached to the 'A' pillar. This is still there, correct?

15. 1958apache31

1958apache31

Yes there is a bill of sale. I will go to the DMV on Monday. Thank you.

Sounds like a great idea. Yes it is. Thanks.

16. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

It is ILLEGAL to remove, alter or tamper with any VIN number on any car in the US. If you do and they catch it during an inspection you are screwed. Just follow the procedure the DMV has for getting a title and leave the VIN alone.

17. ratrodscott

ratrodscott

Can anyone tell me what year truck this VIN # is for FGR1CSI 3406, or FGRICSI 3406, Thanks, Scott

18. For the record:
    Any vehicle with a number of less than 17 digits does not have a VIN.
    These early vehicles were titled by serial or body number/frame number/motor number designations......no big deal unless you wanna get technical which is what the DMV usually does.....VIN was established much later as an identifying method than the old cars we have....
    Also it was very common in GM and others that the number on the body will not match your title,=[once orig engine is replaced you lose the original identifying numbers you had....

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  19. It is still considered to be a Vehicle Identification Number by all states, whether it has 17 digits, ten digits, or two digits.

20. Might try googling that=
    it says when it was established....
    in Missouri,VIN designation was not used until late 1977 or so,and other states were also like that, the early cars had titles with motor numbers till1954....
    Then body numbers ,till they needed more than 11 digits to record all the existing cars in use at the time.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  21. boldventure

boldventure

22. Why FNGs should start new threads for new questions, since four guys after this answered the already answered question from 2011.

23. Dekalb

Dekalb
    from Dekalb, Il

I can. I need the whole # and reason