Register now to get rid of these ads!

stolen property with title?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ykp53, Apr 20, 2011.

1. ykp53

ykp53
    from macon ga

Heres a odd one. my co-worker purchased a bike w/ a title. it is registered in georgia were we live for 2 years. she was contacted by the flordia police to inform here that she was in possession of stolen goods and they were contacting the local police to impund it. is this legal? what recourse does she have? Apperantly the title is forged it has changed hand 3 or 4 times since it was stolen apperantly.

update

Okay heres a little update. She will lose the bike it was stolen. The visible vin had been modifed, they had to remove the tank to look at the vin on the frame to confirm it was not the same. The new vin was an actual vin for a bike identical to hers located in austrailia. So thats how it was registered clean in georgia. Apperently they have caught a talker and he informed them of what they had done and what numbers they were using so they were able to track her bike down. Bad news for her, cause she lost her bike, bad news for the person getting it back because she jsut finished a cross country trip on it and has put 20k mile on it since she got it 3 years ago.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

i dont know..but stolen is stolen..no matter how many people before her that owned it..

i would ask for proof,, and be ready to give it up, someone out there probably has a thread out there on some website looking for it;)

3. Yes it is legal for them to impound if they have proof of it being stolen, especially if there were altered numbers. Her only recourse will be to go after the person she bought it from.

4. JonF

JonF

Maybe we all need to add another step when purchasing. I think you can go to the local DMV and ask them to verify the current owner. I'm not sure whether the local DMV will be able to check in a different state for us, but I sure would try.

5. Possesion is 9/10 of the law.

That said the Florida police would not contact her to let her know that they were going to have the local police come and take possesion of her property. Park it somewhere else for a few days and see if the local police actually show up. If they do ask to see the court order for them to take possesion of the property.

sounds like a scam to me.

6. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

^^^^ What he said. If they wanted it. They would have just showed up and not called. Smells real fishy.

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

good point, i didnt even think of that

and the 9/10 of the law deal too..that can work in your favor too sometimes..I know it did for me once, not on anything stolen

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  8. X2 ask for court papers, ask for ID and take a picture of it.
    legit law enforcement wouldn't have a problem with it.

That being said foremost, If she bought stolen property, they most certainly can and will take it back. If there's a receipt for her purchase, there was No " receiving stolen property"
    Willl need to go back to seller on down the line.

Usually registering or transferring title checks against stolen Vin#s.
    Three or 4 sales with out doing either causes problems, this one that's potentially there with every situation like described here.

9. rld14

rld14

First, if you've titled it in your name and registered it in your name, it's already been through an NCIC check in all probability. I just went through this with the car in my Avatar when applying for a duplicate title, it was still stolen in their computer system even though the report was out of NJ.

Second, the cops aren't going to call you, they're going to show up and bang on the door, usually a number of them.

10. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Please keep us informed on this. I, for one, would like to see how this all turns out.

11. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

This sounds suspect. I would hide that car until I got to the bottom of this whole thing.

12. Not all states communicate with each other on Stolen Vehicles, VIN's etc. If they did there would be a hell of a lot less Model A's and 32's registered out there as I know for a fact that the same number has been registered in various states.
    I do agree that this whole story sounds fishy, but if it does turn out to be legit, they will impound it.
    I think I would be proactive and contact the Georgia DMV and see if there are any problems. If not i would be waiting for the supposed impound police to show up with real cops, or at the very least a nice 12 gauge pump.

13. Gerrys

Gerrys

If the original title was forged to transfer it to Georga was forged that will casue a problem.
    It could be that the bike was abandoned and retitled after a legal sale.
    Without all the facts it is all speculation as to what will happen.

14. A local guy bought a John Deere farm tractor from a private owner 5-6 years ago-the tractor was maybe a year old at the time.

Took it in for service last year and the dealer put in the serial number to order parts and later that day the local sherrif came by and took the tractor. Turns out JD alerted the local sheriff and they just went to the dealer and took it. Yep, turns out it was stolen and the SN was placed in the JD database.

Tractors have no titles. The guy he bought it from bought it from the thief the best they can acertain. $28k out the window...well at least he got 4-5 years of service out of it.

Several years back a guy was selling fairly new compact farm tractors at the Pittsburgh Parts- A- Rama. Buyer beware.

15. HotRod31

HotRod31

A couple months ago friend buys an off topic parts car from Alabama (with title) goes to Ms. DMV to get Ms. title ......... short story,police impound it claim it was stolen from Fla. last year now he's out $600.

Later, Mark

16. I agree with porknbeaner. It would be like telling someone to hold still so you can knock thier teeth out. If the police were going to impound it they would show up unannounced. Be careful, and in the mean time run a VIN check and see if she shows up as the owner.

17. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

You guys are funny, possessin is 9/10th of the law....yeah right :rolleyes:
    Tell that to the guy that had "possession" of Kevin in California, his rare speed parts last week. Stolen is stolen no matter how many times the item changed hands.

18. brad chevy

brad chevy

Its happening alot,lady in Orlando bought a 64 Chevy pickup for her husbands birthday from a well advertised old car dealer in Elkart,Indiana,got a title,paid $4500 for truck.3 years later,after putting another $5000 in the truck husband got stopped for speeding,cop ran vin and truck came up stolen.Impounded truck on the spot.Lady had to take the crooked ass dealer to court to get her money back.It doesn"t matter how much paper work you have stolen is stolen and the property goes back to the original owner.

19. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

The 1/10 th is going to apply here. If the car is stolen. It just is. That is why the states are making you get bonded titles now. If it is a legitimate claim and you go about hiding it, that will be obstruction. It would be wise to be pro active on this and cooperate in the resolution. This is why a bonded title is golden. Everything has been sniffed and scrubbed and made good.

20. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Interesting. Definitely post the outcome on this one. Subscribed!

21. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

Chances are, the call was a scam. No way you can check the veracity of the caller. If the caller identified the Florida jurisdiction, I would call the particular juridiction's PD and ask if in fact the call was legit.

22. Albeit this was back in the early 90's a friend paid BIG bucks for a restored C2
    Corvette. Restored, a NCRS quality car. Got a full photo history with the car of before, during, and after the restoration. And paperwork and documentation up the wazoo.

A year or two go by.

He came home one night to a business card in his front door. Motor vehicle task force with a phone number. He returned the call, the officer came out that night. After some time examining the car, he told my friend the bad news, his car was leaving. About the same time a rollback appeared.

Car was stolen and retagged. Block had been restamped, VIN and trim tags changed. The seller was arrested on another theft charge, state pulled all titles in seller's name and subssequent owners for investigation. IIRC there were several cars that were involved.

Friend was not very happy obviously.

23. loco_gringo

loco_gringo

I agree, keep an eye out for scams, but if the cops show up for the bike, try the possession line with them.

24. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I don't think they would have called on the phone. More likely they would have sent out an investigator or a form letter as traced by the plates. Odd that a call would be placed as they would not have that info in their data base, just the info as provided on the registration form.

25. patman

patman

26. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

She has a title, someone else has a title. One title has to be either fraudulent or carelessly issued by a state that did inadequate checking.
    Seems like if the bike is worth much it would be advisable to get actual legal advice to see that actual title status is properly checked and whoever ends up with the thing is the actual owner. Again if bike is worth much, I think there will be an interest for your friend in having the bad seller or thief in the chain of ownership identified in case he is worth suing.

27. How were you contacted??? letter or phone (how did they get your phone number)
    I do not recall where they give you notice...they just come and get the property.
    That would be like warning a thief by phone or letter that they are coming to arrest him.
    wiff, wiff, fish for dinner.....

28. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I don't think real police give courtesy calls.

29. HOTRODRUBBER

HOTRODRUBBER

I brought the title for my 1961 Triumph to the local DMV and they said "Who would steal that old bike" and gave me the run around. I was clearly wanting to check the vin for any "BAD" information before a purchase......
    Not that this is news but most of the fat chicks that dont speak good english work behind the counters and could care less about anything out of the typical routine.

So I stoped at the Police station.........With title in hand and pictures of the vin on the frame and the crank case. The "Gentleman" took my information...........and 5 minutes later........."licking his sticky maple bar fingers" told me "I dont see no problem"...........
    Thank you officer Stadinco!

Long story short the title was bogus. The bike wasn't stolen, and I was able to file and recieve a NEW title.

No thanks to any of the bullsh*t of the DMV or the local 5 o'

Good Luck Boy's and hold on to your short hairs.

Cody "HOTRODRUBBER" Adams
    HURST RACING TIRES