Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Chrome reverse wheels on 60s customs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Philbilly, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Philbilly

Philbilly

I'm thinking about going with chrome reverse wheels with 1" whitewall tires on my '64 Biscayne. I originally thought about supremes, but everybody lately seems to go with supremes. I was thumbing through issue 49 of TRJ and there was 3 customs , 2 impalas and 1 '65 malibu, all with chrome reverse wheels. They all look great. They have wide whites, but like I said, I'll put 1" whitewalls. What do y'all think? Post pics of '60s customs with chrome reverse wheels if you got any? Here's 1 of those Impalas from TRJ.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1250121&stc=1&d=1298516827

Attached Files:

2. inliner54

inliner54

They are very period correct and they look awesome in my opinion

3. GAL60

GAL60

Those look killer, run them! If it were mine though, I would run a wide white. let me know where you find the best deal$$ on them.-Jim

4. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

I like to look too, should look good on your '64.

5. Abomb

Abomb

I'd go with the narrow white, wide whites on anything newer than 1960 usually look out of place....at least to me.

I'm sure there will be exceptions placed right below this post, however, they are exceptions rather than the rule.....at least to me.

6. Philbilly

Philbilly

Yes, I'll be going with a 1" whitewall. I think WWW look out of place too on '60s cars.

7. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

Coker breaks it down as follows for tires:

Pre 1954 - 3 inch WW or more
    54 - 56 2 1/2 to 2 11/16 WW
    57 - 61 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 WW
    62 - 64 1 WW or less

Thats how they sell "Traditional White Walls". I just bought 2 1/4 inch WWW Coker Classics and have a set of chrome reverse for the Edsel that should arrive anyday.

All three of those cars plus that Chevy Deluxe were beautiful.

I think big white walls are better on pre-60 cars BUUUT I know a guy in our club has a 63 Caddy and it looks great with wide whites.

Bottom line is too choose what era you want the car to represent with all your modifications.... exhaust, paint, body, stance, interior, and so on and stick to that time frame. Make sure it all flows together the right way and nothing will look out of place.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  8. Philbilly

Philbilly

Well said, I couldn't agree more.

9. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

I like the chrome reverse wheels and the WWW. I think it would look awesome! I'm a big fan of WWW anyway, so I guess I'm a little bias...lol

10. GAL60

GAL60

Not trying to knock the skinny whites. I have three inch wide whites on my starliner. It was what I had left after I totaled my 53' Customline. No money for new ones. I will replace them with a 21/4 or 21/2 come time. I just never liked the skinny white, as it reminds me of an early 80's luxury car tire, or that one tire you had to buy from a hole in the wall tire shop to get home on because it was all they had in your size. But if you like it, hell, run the damn things. The only uncool custom is the one not driven.-Jim

11. Thought you were thinking of running Cragars? Anyways chrome reveresed are badass to!

12. McPhail

McPhail

I like the skinnys on later models.....

Attached Files:

13. Philbilly

Philbilly

I was looking at running Cragars at one time, but I have been thinking at what direction I want to go with the car and Cragars wouldn't look right.

14. Philbilly

Philbilly

I saw your car at the roundup last year. It looks bad ass with those wheels and tires, but the whole car is awesome!

15. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Just bought a set this weekend for my 55 Buick $400. with the baby moon caps

16. I guess it depends on where you were in the 60's. In California it was double reversed chromies, baldy caps and black walls on mild custom drivers. By '63 when I built this Bird, the only white walls you saw on the street were on you mom's car.

[​IMG]

17. Abomb

Abomb

Hey, I used to have a 55 Buick.....how's your's treating you...

18. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

D LOWE I have heard that..... I mean about black wall tires in California. Thats a sweet looking T Bird and the black walls fit it very well.

Help me out though,...... what is a "double reversed" wheel? Does it refer to the amount of back spacing or something else.......?

And McPhails car OWNS IT. Thats a badass ride.

19. Church

Church
    from South Bay

skinny whites.

Attached Files:

20. zombie

zombie

chromies are not used enough. love them in wide whites, pinners, black walls, hell, even red lines.

z

21. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Definetly my favorite wheel and I think would look great on your 64. I'd maybe look at the 1 1/2" white walls like on my Dodge pickup.
    Here's a few of the cars I've owned with chrome wheels. Gary

Attached Files:

22. mlagusis

mlagusis

Skinny whites are a lot less expensive. The front tires on my 62 C10 have skinny whites and they were like $80 each at Discount Tire. I am runningthe black wall out. They are the Arizonians.

23. hunter

hunter

ww's, skinny whites, chrome smoothies, cragers, supremes...their all good ingredients to a fine whee/tire combo...you honestly can't go wrong with any of them. and i agree with zombie...i'd love to see more red lines....some needs to make a real skinny red wall for the fronts

24. My 60 T-Bird. First car I ever bought brand new. 352" and a 3 speed trans and column shifter. This photo was taken about 62 after it was painted pearl green and mildly customized.

Mick

Attached Files:

25. slim tempo

slim tempo

Go chrome or go home!

26. RDR

RDR

27. Ok im going through the same problem on deciding on what wheels to put in my 60's custom. Its between the 15"supremes or 15" chrome reverse steelies. Either skinny whites or www also i might run my stock wheels, www and cross bar caps. Hard descision..by the way 56 ford. Also are there different offsets they sell for the reversed chomome steelies?

28. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

I know what you mean, my Dad has the same opinion. I could be wrong but wasn't '62 the first year they went to narrow whites technically? Probably the reason they look slightly out of place is because they categorize the '61 through '64 similarly body wise, and where the last 3 are narrow whites, it kinda makes sense. I don't mind it though but to be period correct, maybe narrow would technically work better. Wide whites just look best on '50s cars really.

29. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

Black opened rims and 2 1/4" whites NEVER fail!! That would look very period correct as well, depending on what area you grew up in when these were hot!!

30. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

Maybe be a stupid question is that '60 a Biscayne? I love seeing the lower models fixed up with accessories. They deserve just as much attention as the Impalas.