Register now to get rid of these ads!

If You Are Ever In London

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. Thanks for telling us about it! I'm in London now and then and I will for sure make a visit there next time.

3. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Cool Pictures but when I open them up the ones that are not sideways to start with are upside down.......or is it me:eek:

4. Working on and planning a trip to London for late this year. This is one of our stops planned while making the rounds. I was born in Ipswitch and this will be my once in a life time return to my birth place. Seems like the biggest problem is time, so much needs to be seen, but will be on a cramped schedule.

5. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Wow, that's awesome. Next time I'm there, well, I'm there!

6. Ddooce

Ddooce
    from Memphis Tn

I have been a great fan of that building and everything Michelin since I first saw it.
    But not white walls on a 20/30 luxury car, you would have been a real Flash Harry or a Cad to do that - if they were even available. Despite what you see on todays restored cars it just wasn't so. Earlier -pre 1914 - tires were often made of white rubber by the 1920 just about all wellbased wheel tires were black

Even more surprising to traditionalists is that for the last 65 year Michelin have been selling and fitting RADIAL TIRES to cars - shock horror!
    So in 1949 your 32 Ford may have pulled in to be fitted with a new set of radials. I know of a least one that was.

7. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

That's an iPhone 4 bug. I spent an hour at the Apple store trying to explain my problem to them. In the end they blamed it on facebook and vBulletin.

I now make sure my phone is oriented a certain way before taking a pic.

Jay - Great pics and write-up.

8. Fopelaez

Fopelaez

I'm in my computer and got my neck busted trying to see the gravity defying pictures LOL. Cool pictures, the stained glass in the face of the builiding is very nice! thanks for sharing

9. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I absolutely love that Bib air compressor in picture #7! And the trike in picture #6 is pretty cool as well.

10. MattStrube

MattStrube

I've been by there several times, but never gone in...now I'm goin.

11. Bodger45

Bodger45

My wife and I will be there in June, we'll check it out. Thanks.

12. JackieTreehorn

JackieTreehorn

Thanks for the awesome pics! That Bib is one handsome dude, even with the spare tire around the middle.

13. Be careful after dark!:D HRP

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WBYwLdSKo90" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

14. Funny thing is ive been to the restaurant and never even noticed the museum bit!!

learn a new thing every day!

15. hasty

hasty

If you are in the UK for a bit and want to see some stunning world speed record cars, go here - bit of a trip from London but worth it.
    http://www.beaulieu.co.uk/beaulieu/index
    (National Motor Museum)

16. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

awesome! we'll be back in london in september-i'll stop by for sure.

ps warren zevon fucking rules!

17. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

¡¡&#633;&#477;&#652;o &#592;&#633;&#477;&#623;&#592;&#596; &#633;no&#654; u&#633;n&#647;

18. fleetside66

fleetside66

Is this the place? I snapped this shot from a shuttle bus window (if I remember correctly) on my way from the airport to Chelsea about three years ago (on a vacation to England). It's too bad I didn't get to see the museum...the building was incredible from the street.

[​IMG]

19. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

20. Very cool. I especially like the Michelin Man stained glass. What a beautiful building.

21. 21tat

21tat

Looks cool. Thanks.

22. Man Jay............. you get around!!

23. I worked in that building for a couple of years in the 70's driving a truck delivering tyres around London, and my wife Irene worked in the office there for 16yrs.
    The story goes that all that stained glass was removed during ww2 and stored in the basement, it certainly wasn't there when we were. When Conran the furniture store bought the building they found the glass and restored it to it's former glory. Under the Bibendum stained glass was the tyre fitting bay.
    Anyway, I thought you might like a little bit of history,(for what it is worth)
    Charlie!!

24. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

25. ploon

ploon

26. Used to drive past it almost daily before I moved to California...nice write up Jay...wave to my Mum!

27. I saw that place too when I visited back in 2004. I didn't go in either, damn it.

28. scott ketcham

scott ketcham

29. KIRK!

KIRK!

I ate at Bibendum about 12 years ago. It took us over a year to get reservations back then.

30. aldixie

aldixie

I use to drive past it all the time, never went inside. Also if your in the area on the last Saturday of the month is the Chelsea Cruise.