Register now to get rid of these ads!

History ==Vintage Cal-Neva Dry Lake & Drag Pics (early 50s)==

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy B, Jan 19, 2011.

1. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

OH Hell Yeah, you know I love these, I've got a couple hundred.....thanks Jimmy....really love these two...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  2. Gaters

Gaters

Another great JimmyB post. Always the giver. Thanks for sharing more forgotten Hot Rod heritage.

Stogy likes this.
  3. Glad everyone is enjoying the pics. As Curt Giovanine once said to me - "better for the world to see, than have them hidden away".

I just realized this 5w is that of SF Ramblers member Fred Zaft. This is a two time HOT ROD Magazine feature car first Dec. 1951 and again in Aug. '53.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  4. I love these old photos. They are just great! thanx for posting.

5. mike hamel

mike hamel

Great pictures Jimmy! The dry lake is just up north of Reno. Right by border town. Near the California state line. I found a picture of a 34 5 window that i mocked my cal neva and number design off of.

6. Offy 220

Offy 220

Thanks Mike regarding the location of the dry lake, I realized it was near the Cal/Nevada border but was not sure where. Do you know which association ran at Harper Dry Lake in California? I understand SCTA ran there, not sure if any other. Did Russetta Timing Association run only at Muroc?

Thanks Jimmy for your time and posting more pics!

Offy 220

7. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

These are some of the koolest pics i've seen posted here in a long time...thanks for sharing!!

8. mike hamel

mike hamel

Hey offy 220! I do know that scta ran there. My good buddy rory forbes has an early timing tag from there. I'm not an expert but if rory sees this thread he will be able to answer all these questions. We are friends with guys who used to run at that dry lake.

9. Nice pics
    Thanks Jimmy B

10. Offy 220

Offy 220

Thanks Mike,

The reason I was asking - My dad ran a stroked 80" Harley at Harper dry lake either prior or after WWII. He has since passed away, I am not able to find out anymore information. One of his buddies had an Indian that had 1" spacers under the cylinders that ran there also. He also told me that they ran at Rosamond. Wish I had pics! Jimmy B's pictures reminded of the good times my dad told me about that he and his friends had at the lakes.

Offy 220

11. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

Okay..It's not a leather jacket it's a B-3 shearling jacket and his cap is an A-3 leading me to believe he was a mechanic or flight engineer during the war.
    The first picture is Taken at 1443 leimert blvd. which is now a dentists office.

The second appears to be on Grand Ave. in the 2-4000 blocks

12. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  13. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Jimmy..............

awsome set of images..........thanks for sharing your new purchases.

Stogy likes this.
  14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Small roadster to the left was also a San Francisco Ramblers car. Rudy Mortonsen was the first owner that I know of. Set Bonneville BF/R in '58. Running as Vally Auto Parts Special

Stogy likes this.
  15. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

It would be amazing to see these pictures put together in a book.

Stogy likes this.
  16. 31whitey

31whitey

THANKS! Jimmy B...

Wouldnt seen em unless you knew what to look for.

A bunch more pics of that Ramblers 5w...nice.

Stogy likes this.
  17. on final bump for those that haven't seen the pics.

Stogy likes this.
  18. Offy 220

Offy 220

Jimmy,

Thanks again for posting the pics. I keep going back and looking at them and I see more and more. Keep on bumping.

Offy 220

Stogy likes this.
  19. Hey! Jimmy B!

Thanks for posting, great old picks! Hope you got some more,,

Lars

Stogy likes this.
  20. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Awesome, thanks for taking the time to post them Jimmy!

Stogy likes this.
  21. firingorder1

firingorder1

Fantastic!! A time when rodders raced them on dirty dry lakes. The way God intended them to be used. No shiny GNRS contenders there!

22. Offy 220

Offy 220

Firing Order 1,

I agree 100%! When my dad and I restored our sprint car we were told "chrome this, plate that" - but that is not how sprint cars, lakes cars and hot rods were originally built.

Not to start an argument but "over - restored" is not what it is all about. I love these old pics - hopefully we can get a better understanding on how it was.

Thanks for the comment,
    Offy 220

23. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

The 1st and 2nd pictures in #49 look like the Pierson Bros. coupe. Thanks for sharing these wonderful visual time frames in history with us.

24. Actually there are two early NRS (National Roadster Show) entrants that were in contention to win the AMBR.
    Richard Lee's T on the left
    [​IMG]

&

Dick King roadster
    [​IMG]

of course they are a bit dusty.

Stogy likes this.
  25. firingorder1

firingorder1

Maybe I should rephrase it to read they weren't afraid to use them for what they were intended. Dust and the ocassional stone chip didn't cause a heart attack.

Stogy and Finn Jensen like this.
  26. James Curl

James Curl

I have a friend who will be 70 this year and I will be 75 and he doesn't remember any unfinished cars like a couple of the street cars in the photos. Almost all of the early hot rods that belonged to young people in the early 50s wore Henrys original paint, black and basic seats for interior. The cars in the photo look like so many of the ones in the early yearly hot rod how to books. He thinks any car that doesn't have a good paint job and a complete interior is basically a rat rod no matter how good the workmanship is. How soon we forget just how crude a 17 year old's build was back in the fifties.

27. [​IMG]

This one? That was run/built by Harold Casaurang & Gordon Vann. This coupe is on the cover of "Hop Up & Motor Life" March '54.

Stogy and Speed Gems like this.
  28. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Thanks Jimmy.

Stogy likes this.
  29. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Is this the same car....appears to be...Ramblers plaque
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]