Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tall skinny.... RADIALS!?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddio211, Oct 27, 2010.

1. daddio211

daddio211

Yeah, yeah, I know. Don't start flaming me on this one :eek:

I've searched all over the place and the tallest narrow radial I can find for a 15" wheel is a 235/75/15. That equates to a measly 22 1/2" tall, which is hardly hot rodding material.

I'm running NOS 49-51 wheels (15x5) on my '27 T and want something taller for the rear wheels. Fronts are even a little on the large size with 155R15's. The T is SUCH a small car!

Any thoughts???

2. Master of None

Master of None

You looked at Hurst super cushions? They look like the tall skinny bias but are radials. They are a bit pricey, but they look the part. www.hurstracingtires.com.

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Get larger diameter wheels and use Coker's Excelsiors. That's my plan. Gary

4. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

couple sources say the 235 75 15 is 28.87 inches tall using this formula:

section width X aspect ratio divided by 1270 + the rim diameter

235 X 75 / 1270 + 15

where no aspect ratio is on the tire 95 is assumed

Your front tire should be 26 inches tall.

5. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Looking at the Diamondback catalog they list a 235/75:15 Michelin based tire as 29" tall. Cooper based as 28.7".

6. daddio211

daddio211

Those have a GREAT early 60's vibe, man. Too expensive for this budget build though, which is why I'm looking at radials.

I love the Excelsior look. I've talked to a few guys who are running them and they say they drive just like bias plies and have to be trued. Nothing wrong with that, but nobody around here trues tires. That, and the above mentioned "budget build" rule these out.

You're right on the money! I didn't hit the update button when I entered the tire size. I thought, "man, that sure sounds small" but was in a hurry and wrote it anyway. :eek:

7. The tires often times make or break the build in my opinion. Some things you just can't fake.

8. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

agreed 1000%!!!

9. large-stache

large-stache

You might try some 215 or 225/85r16, they may be a little stiff in the sidewall, as most are load range C.Definitely tall and skinny though.

10. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

x10 that being said...
    are gonna look a lot like truck tires on the back of a t-bucket.

if your gonna stick with the 235/75 radials, using the small 5" width wheel will def help you out on the overall diameter.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  11. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

I am with you on the buget thing. I love the look of bias plys, but you can't just run down to the local store and buy them or even order them for that matter!! Seems like the few places that sell bias tires whant s fortune for them! I have thought about saving up and ordering some but then I would be afraid to do burnouts and have fun! I would much rather spend 70 bucks on some odd ball brand of radials and go burn the hell out of them!!!! what do you guys with these "expensive" bias plys do? Puts around like an old lady cause the tires are too expensive? Or is money no object?

12. Hey, Billy Burnout, don't be such a tightwad :) . You have to spend your money on something dont'cha ?

13. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

What about suv tires ,Just a thought

14. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Somebody mentioned early chevy gmc dualley pickup tires = tall and skinny.

15. Keep

Keep

hmmm the bfg 155/80/15 are 24.7.

Look good on the front, not so sure on the back, you might end up buying some 16's for the back.

16. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Interesting... we heard from Coker here on the HAMB awhile back that Coker was taking over production / quality control on the Excelsiors and that the price would be greatly reduced. Some, not all, of the Excelsiors sold are radials. But given Coker is making them now, the new production radial versions should provide the handling you are looking for (the idea of having a radial that rides like a bias ply makes no sense to me) and they should not require any truing (none of the other tires I've got from them need any at all).

So, did your friends just get their Excelsiors or were those tires perhaps from old stock or purchased awhile back? If they were "expensive" ($400+ not including tubes) then those tires were probably the older versions / not Coker production. The older versions were also very soft, and didn't last too long, as they were made for vintage racing. Inquiring minds need to know as my planned new wheel and tire combos depend greatly on getting a bead (ha ha) on what is going on with the new Excelsior radials. Thanx, Gary

17. Where the hell you finding 70 dollar radials?! I will buy em day at that price in Hot rod sizes.

18. Coker has 2 versions of the Excelsiors. The soft vintage racing bias plies and the New radial version for hotrodders.

Another choice, Cuznbrucie and cruzn are using the Coker bias looking radials and love them.

19. 55chieftain

55chieftain

235/75 15 is pushing it on a 5" wheel IMO. 6.70/15 BW Firestone is a little over 28.6" and rated for 5-6" rims. And look much better....

20. scrapmetalart

scrapmetalart
    from DAYTON

235 85 16...32" tall

I have them on 5" wheels.

21. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Higher priced Excelsiors that last longer, vs lower priced that don't last as.............
    Kind of a toss-up, eh? If that's actually the case. I'd like to hear from people that actually have Excelciors... not from somebody that 'heard' from a buddy. :D

Where did the "wears out faster" come from. I don't see the difference on my 'soft' ones, on the front, they seem to be wearing about the same as my (hard) 'Stones, on the rear.:cool: I guess on the race track with more exercise in the corners they wouldn't last as long............

22. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Sears guardsmans. I had 205/75 15 fronts and 235/75 15 rears on mine for $220. Thin white lines.

23. Look into Diamond Back Classics's new tall skinny wsw radial.
    It's not in the catalog yet but I viewed the new tire they're offering last month at swap meet in Amherst N.H.
    Frits's Tire from Arundel Maine was displaying the tall tire. Fritz is a D.B.C. dealer/distributor in the North East.
    I'm saving my money currently to place my order with them very soon.
    Awesome looking tire!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  24. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Diamondback is WELL worth the money. I have ordered 4 sets from them.

25. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

Well I bought a pair of 275/60 15s for my OT Chevelle 2 years ago from the local place here in town for $65 a peice. Granted they are some off brand like I said but I do some BILLY BURNOUTS with them. Also just last week I got some new 205/70 15s for my work car for $68 a peice.

26. Pep Boys carries a Cornell brand tire (made by Cooper)...have 70 and 75 series radials. I've bought 4 or 5 sets over the years. A carry-out set of 205/75-15 narrow white walls were about 2 bones for the T-bird. Ride great, have a 40K warranty.

27. 15s are getting scarce around here in good sizes. Peerless is our discounter and their selections have gone to shit. Even the shop we spend hundreds of thousands with that an old family pal runs has very little in 15 for my late model truck! WTF!?

28. I've found that a lot of the big tire outlets (like America's Tire) still have off-brands that are made by good companies. They just don't advertise them. Pep Boys is in the process of changing the branding on the Cornell tires, but they are the exact same tire...

I painted the ones on the T-bird with the tire paint from Iceland, came out OK for the money...
    [​IMG]

AHotRod likes this.
  29. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

daddio211 Here is are areas go to guy for tires Get a hold of [email protected] .His phone is330 872 1205 .He is located in Newton Falls Ohio and also sells diamond back classics.Very knowledgeable. His name is Charlie Fields. also sells other brands