Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 to 54 chevy automatic column shifter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jonzcustomshop, Aug 29, 2010.

1. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

I would like to see some pics, or descriptions of 49-54 chevys with the original column , and a colum shifter for an automatic transmission.
    ( not just the stock powerglide, any auto..)

I am running a 59 olds auto transmission in my 50 convert.
    the 50 was a powerglide car, so I have the original auto column shift still.
    I am not against a floor shifter, but with the X frame things are real tight next to the linkage...
    not ruling out a cable shifter either, just want it to look like it was done in 62, so b&m mega shifters and stuff like that are out.
    just looking for ideas on how to run linkage...

2. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I put a 401 nailhead and SP400 in my 50 sedan delivery. Used an auto shifter off of a 54, cut 3-1/2 inches out of the shifting tube and moved the shifter up the column 3-1/2 inches. I then made a new shift indicator out of 1/8" lexan and used some rub on numbers and letters my wife picked up for me at the hobby store to put PRND21 on it. Heres a couple of pics of the shifter and indicator. Did some modifying on the shifter so the handle would have to be raised to enter reverse from neutral.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  3. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

thanks! that looks like what I want to do.
    did you have to fab the linkage from the shifter to the transmission?

4. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I had a shifting rod in the spare parts pile that came from some column shift car. I had to do some rebending on it to make it work. Also had to make a special lever for the trans to get the travel right down there. I can take a pic of it if it will help.

5. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

thats ok on the pic.. I have the original 59 olds link, its just 5-7 inches short!
    I might be able to use it as a pattern and make a new longer one.

6. mj40's

mj40's

Lokar is a good choice from column to trany.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Heres what I did on the tranny, Took a stock lever and cut one side off and grafted a lever onto it. Got it too short the first time so I had to add about 1/2" to it. Its 3-5/8" between the holes now and the throw is just right with the stock shifter. As you can see park is at about 10:00.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010