Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 GMC truck. What ci is the motor???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crotex, Aug 21, 2010.

1. crotex

crotex
    BANNED
    from cuero, tx

I am looking at buying a straight 6 motor from a guy that came out of a 1951 GMC pickup. Does anyone know what cubic inch that would be and if a late model trans could be bolted onto the back of it?

what are some physical features you can see from the outside to determine information on the motor?

2. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

GMC motors are easy to identify, just look at the stamped no. just behind the distributor, the first 3 numbers are the displacement. Example: F248------- is 248 c.i.

3. Donniearcher

Donniearcher
    BANNED
    from amarillo

Ill go check it out crotex, Ill have a friend run by the shop and read the number behind the dizzy.

4. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

The 248 -270-302 GMC is three longer than the chevrolet 235/261s etc......
    Fukk pressure oiling with insert bearing etc makes it a upgrade from a 235 etc.......
    The 302 can be bored to 322cu inches making them a flathead killer........

5. Donniearcher

Donniearcher
    BANNED
    from amarillo

Block # A228433i42 It appears to be a GMC 228... over head valve... full pres oil system..

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  6. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

228 cubic inches.

7. Donniearcher

Donniearcher
    BANNED
    from amarillo

From 1939 and up, the GMC six cylinder was a high pressure insert bearing engine - initially 228 and 248 cubic inches. Chevrolet did not adopt the full insert bearing engine until 1954. This results in their similar appearing dash clusters having an exception of maximum oil pressure gauge reading of 60# or 80# for GMC and 30# for Chevrolet.
    Almost all Canadian built GMC pickups prior to 1953 used the Chevrolet 216 engine, not the 228 and 248 GMC type placed in U.S. trucks. The Canadian Chevrolet using the larger GMC 228 and 248 was the "Maple Leaf"!

http://www.antiquechevytrucks.com/Content/Orginal%20Restoration/advancedesign_main.htm

8. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

What is it going into?? Car or truck?

A later transmission may or may not bolt to it. There are stock bell housings that would do the job, you may run into rear mount problems.

9. Donniearcher

Donniearcher
    BANNED
    from amarillo

Cant speak for him, but I think he is interested in it for a model T rat set up.

Thank you for your help
    Donnie

10. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

I guess engine mounts would not be a big problem. There are stock bell housings that will bolt most any later model GM transmission to that engine. Bell housings from Chev 216, 235 & 261 will fit the block. Just pick the transmission pattern you want.

11. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

well, gosh - if it's a RAT ROD you're building, dont' worry about mounts...just weld the crap out of everything - "you don' need no stinkin' tranny mounts"

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Man, you got that right, Bubba. In 1959, I had full-fendered '27 T sedan on '31 'A' rails, 3/8X3/8 (296 C.I.) Merc flathead with all the sing: ported & relieved, full polish thru ports, Silvolite pistons, aluminum flywheel, 4-jugger w/ Stromberg 97s, Harmon-Collins Du-Coil, '40 rear w/4.44s.
    This thing was a rocket out of the hole.
    One evening a '38 Chevy Coupe pulls up, races his engine, (no hood sides, I could see & hear it was a six) But it had this loooong row of carbs...Light turns green, I rev to 4,000 RPM and pop the Auburn sticker. I'm at the other side of the intersection, almost ready to shift, when this Chevy comes by me like he was shot out of a cannon. Zzzoooom! Then he shifts. He's gettin real small, I check to see if I'm in reverse...
    He pulled into the Sahara gas station, and I followed. This Chevy had the full house.
    302 GMC truck motor (that's what he called it) punched an eighth, McGurk cam & rockers, McGurk intake, (5 97s, count 'em!) and a whole slew of stuff. Torque Town.
    Nice feller, he said "You really had me outa the hole, that's one fast flathead!"
    I said, "Yeah, had you for at least 10 feet!"
    That Jimmy ate more than flatheads. I parked my T, and we went ridin' in his Chevy...we sawed off everything that came up alongside. One '50 Olds Coupe (J2 mill, beefed hydro) went out to 10th street with us, (this was gonna be a fast one)
    That Olds pilot got a good study of the '38 Chevy taillights!

I would still build a 270 or 302 GMC mill today. Hard to find...

13. crotex

crotex
    BANNED
    from cuero, tx

Donniearcher is the guy I may be doing a deal with. He has I guess from the info above a 228 ci. My plan is to put it in my wife's 33 chevy tudor. Not a R*t Rod. Its just a traditional hot rod. Motor and tranny mounts are not a problem. i can build them. What I am cuerious about is putting a turbo350 or something of the sort on it. I want to know if they will bold up. If not what will it take? I want a cool straight 6 hiwhway cruiser with more than 70 on the top end.

14. motion guru

motion guru
    from yacolt, wa

No problem putting a modern auto tranny behind it. Buffalo is your answer.

http://www.inliners.org/buffalo/index.htm

This is what it looks like when installed . . . Charlie Hardin's 54 GMC
    [​IMG]

Another couple of shots . . . .

[​IMG]

Other side . . .
    [​IMG]

Scooted down the road nicely and sounded great!
    [​IMG]

15. Donniearcher

Donniearcher
    BANNED
    from amarillo

Opps Sorry...:eek:

But we got an awsome story out of it. MAN I LOVE THAT.... Thank you ATWATER.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010