Register now to get rid of these ads!

1930 hudson

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choptvan, Jul 5, 2010.

1. choptvan

choptvan

The title says it all. Unfortunately, I do not have much of this car. The car was taken apart, and left in a gulley so there wasn't much left to save. But save I did. I am in need of parts. I am unsure what will fit, or if I will end up making my own. I care not either way. But I know one thing for certain. EVERY part will be hudson. Motor/trans/axles/dash, everything. I will not touch this car again till I obtain everything I need. So the hunt begins. First, a few photos of the car when it came home, and after some work.

[​IMG]

had over 135 bullet holes in it. I wanted to get rid of all of them. F$%k patina. And f#$k the rat rod trend. This will not be a shitty half ass car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. choptvan

choptvan

Fast forward a few years when i went to wyotech. I was wanting to do something cool for class credit since I was ahead of my studies at the time. Plus, what would be cooler to work on in a streetrod class? So i took her from Colorado Springs, to Laramie wyoming, on the bed of my 63 ford f100. Stepside to boot. Fun trip. Wish I had pix to show. Luckily, it actually helped me keep traction while driving in wyoming! Anyway. I did some more work on it.Then I decided to section it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cleaned up some more bullet holes as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even filled some holes in the fire wall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

hell yea, nice start.

4. choptvan

choptvan

So what i really need is, a grille shell. Hudson. Not essex. A deck lid. Rumble seat is what she was so I would like to keep that if I can get ahold of one. And doors. Essex would be alright. From what I understand they would fit the same? Anyone know? I have a hudson straight six from a 1940. I would prefer to have one from about a 48? Help me out hudson guys. I want a motor that has a few aftermarket parts. So is a 48 the right about year to get? And does anyone know if hudson had wire wheels? I want her fenderless with hudson wires. I am also torn between building it 6 volt? Or 12 volt? I want the generator look with it being a flathead. Any info on what I can use or what would work is welcome. Thank you in advance.

5. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Man...this is gonna be another cool build!
    BTW...that body is awesome looking. Love the quarters and overall shape and style.
    The section really made it all work from what I can see in the pics.

I`ll be watching this thread for sure!

6. yes, is gunna be good! Good work so far.

7. choptvan

choptvan

anyone still awake?

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

I friend had a body like that years ago, the door hinges are odd aren't they? Long piano hinge style hinge top to bottom. You might want to check the AACA.org website, scroll down to the Hudson section. Post a parts wanted notice, don't mention the body mods. Good luck, I remember this project for past posts.

9. choptvan

choptvan

will do. I posted it on other sites in the past. Just tryin to get into findin parts again.

10. 51hornetdude

51hornetdude
    from denver

Lots of Hudson guys in Colorado. A 48-54 engine should be easy to come by, as long as you don't NEED a 308. 262's are strong motors and semi plentiful.

11. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good luck with getting the doors mate, really hope you find them. Is there a board for the Hudson restorers or similar.

I was thinking the chop too severe but with the section its come back nicely. Keep at it. Maybe consider using parts that arent exactly what you want then swapping them over later. Would be sad to see this not progress because of a missing grill shell etc.

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

I like the "All Hudson" deal, what engine was the one to have in the early 1950's NARCAR rides? Hudson has a great racing history all the way back to INDY 500 cars in the teens.

13. Sunshine14

Sunshine14

This is going to be a fun build to watch, keep up the good work!

14. noboD

noboD

That should get a twin carb Hudson Hornet engine. Go Doc Hudson!!

15. Your coupe body is not a 1930. The visor for the 30's is quite different. You have a much more desirable 1932 body. The 3 window used the piano style hinge rather than the individual hinges the 5 window had.
    [​IMG]

My 1931 Hudson coach.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  16. I see your still working on my Hudson....:D

17. shannon hows it going? i havent seen this pop up on RR lately, good to see you havent let it slide. 48-56 engines are easier to maintain and rebuild (pressurised oil, insert bearings)
    dont forget the hudson forum for parts. and see if anyone can get the hudson club newsletter to you. many treats in there. if i was closer id help!

18. Ramblur

Ramblur

19. towaholic

towaholic
    from Rogers, mn

I will see what I have left for parts, I had the same car a few years ago and sold the body. I have all the fenders yet, front axle, windshield. I will see what else I have.

20. choptvan

choptvan

uuuummmmmm you sure? This is a 1930 hudson model T coupe. The visor, and cowl match. So does the body line behind the door. The 32 window lays back to much in relation to this one. And it does have seperate hinges. The visor may be different, but what else could it be? I cannot find the pic of a 32 3 window.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

31?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N&gbv=2&ndsp=20&tbs=isch:1

21. choptvan

choptvan

HA HA!! Yes I am! You can buy it when I am done if you want!

Will do. Just expanding the otions.Would be cool if you were close. But alas. We are worlds apart....

That would kick ass! Let me know boss.

22. big creep

big creep

wow all those holes!!!!!! the ones on the back look like an auto machine gun went to work on it. looking good so far!

23. choptvan

choptvan

it did look just like that. I had so many people tell me to leave it that way. I can't do that to this car though. Does look a bit scary huh? Would have sucked sitting it it while that happened for sure.

24. smarg

smarg

Looks pretty slick.

I may have missed it in previous posts, but I'll ask. What engine and tranny combo are you going with?

25. choptvan

choptvan

Lookin for something now but it has to be a hudson motor. And I will not even mock anything up till I have all that i want. This car has to be perfect. I mean perfect before it even gets shown or driven.

26. I won't want it when it's perfect......

27. 34Chrysler

34Chrysler

Chopt, nice car I like where you are headed with it.
    Ramblur, I saw that car at Zephyrhills, hoped it would get
    the knife.

28. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

Other than the visor it looks like a 30 to me. Here's a few pics of my 30 Model T.
    Ya,I know it ain't "traditional", but I built it and got it on the road for under 5 grand.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. choptvan

choptvan

Looks fine to me. I love the use of the bicycle fenders. Cool ride.

30. choptvan

choptvan

Of course not! It would cost to much then!