Register now to get rid of these ads!

Brake line fittings..std. threads/metric dimensions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by boogeracng, Jun 8, 2010.

1. boogeracng

boogeracng
    from Eureka,MO

A rant.....I've got to vent.......

So I'm all set to finalize the brakes on my new coupe drag car. Using a 9 inch out of a '63 T-Bird and all new Wagner/Raybestos brake components, including wheel cylinders. All goes together without a hitch until it comes time to open the bleeder screws......METRIC. No doubt about it, 7/16 standard is too small, 1/2 is too big. FU***NG METRIC !!!!!! What the FU*K????

Then, I begin checking connections and unions......the tubing nuts are standard, and the unions are once again FUC***G metric.

All the fittings, unions, and connectors are from my local mom and pop parts house, from their Edelman brass display. All the brake parts were either from their store in stock or the local warehouse.

What is it with this metric crap......a 9 inch from a T-Bird is about as American standard as it comes. The steel lines use standard dimension threads and tubing nuts. More of the ever present and increasing import shit? Are the big companies that much not caring that there is no control over this stuff.....quality, size discrepancy, applications.

Ok rant over......thanks for your patience.

2. butch27

butch27

Man that is screwed up: Guess we need to check every damn thing now!

3. Sounds like mom and pop need to clean their glasses and pay more attention stocking those little drawers...

Oh, and most EVERY vehicle, import or domestic, has pretty much used metric sizing since 1985...

4. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

Thats what I think. I got all my fitting from the Edelmann drawer and did have any problems with them.

I love looking through the Edelmann drawers by the way, neat stuff.

5. Edelman rocks but you obviously had an SAE Crescent wrench, not eh universal SAE/Metric one.........beginner mistake ;)

6. bbanks12

bbanks12

I ran into the same problem running some hard fuel line today. I work at a bike shop and love seeing peoples faces when I start telling a customer how much metric stuff Harley Davidson is going too lol

7. Anderhart Speed

Anderhart Speed

I dont mind metric. I like standard. I HATE when they are inconspicuously combined. Drives me freaking nuts. All or nothing, I don't really care. We order stuff with specific thread pitches, so we kind of have more control over stuff like that. More painstaking, but usually (not all the time) avoids your ordeal.

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I can only wonder how you react when you have a REAL problem................

Ray

9. EZrider

EZrider
    from Waco, TX

The solution is easy, just change ALL the fucking parts to AN specs.
    quitchyerbitchin'
    old Bob

10. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

I hate to burst your bubble, but brake fittings have been like that for ever. Back when they made quality wrench sets, you got 17/32, 19/32, and 21/32 wrenches just to fit them.

11. Thanks Frank, I did not want to state that. :)

12. I always have a pair of metric vise grips on hand, works great on SAE hardware as well.

Bob