Register now to get rid of these ads!

cat pee on metal.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowstrung, May 2, 2010.

1. lowstrung

lowstrung

Looking at an old roller, it has been stored for years. Cats have gone into it and pee'd. All over..they spray piss too it looks like, as it's on the inside of the doors. I'm sure this is the nature of the beast with cars that are stored..that things get inside and make messes. Anyone picked up a project that had cat pee everywhere? Did it harm the metal? Or does it clean up fine with the metal undeneath perfectly okay?

2. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I remember a truck called the cat piss special

3. Haha, never heard of that but its a good story to tell!

4. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Faced the same problem with Aussie Possum Piss, UGH, trust me, I wish it was cat piss.
    The stuff is very caustic and will turn any bare metal surface into severe surface rust. It will also degrade painted surfaces if you don't wash it off promptly and thoroughly. If you get it off paint before it begins to degrade, great but if it damages the paint first you need to treat the affected area the same as a severely surface rusted area.

So basically if you remove all, and I mean ALL traces of the piss and the damage, you start with nice clean new metal you will have no problems.

Doc.

5. lowstrung

lowstrung

I am just a bit concerned that the metal under the dryed/oily cat piss puddles will be harmed, but maybe the piss isn't that strong to do more damage than that heavy surface rust you speak of....thats the deal with this car. If once the rust is off the metal is good, i am not too worried. I'm sure this is a common pain in the ass problem with cars that are stored or sitting.

6. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WAY, WAY O/T.............

I saw about 250 thousand rounds of .50 ammo thrown away on Ops one night, seems a cat had taken up residence in the same shed we placed ready use bang bits in. It all got dragged out one night to be used on a CH47 support ship, needless to say the Fly-boys changed storage procedures for ready use ammo.

That was the first night I got to see a US AC130 Gun Ship in action..................
    Thats the sort of thing in close support that changes you for ever, just awesome.

Proud to say we have a HAMB member who is a Gunship crew member, Slepe67
    Bring the rain Brother.

Doc.

7. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

I hate the taste of metal, can't imagine it with cat pee on it so don't smile too much or talk to your car while your tearing into it.
    Upside is it probably keeps the mice out :)

8. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, just make sue its truly off there or it(not I) will come back to haunt you. It needs a really good acid neutraliser and converter. Whatever you normally use a a rust converter should work provided it has a neutralising agent used after.

And Torchman, err, umm?? The taste issue is a new one on me, cant say its been a step in metal prep for me before. Is it important? ;)

Doc.

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  9. lowstrung

lowstrung

Baking soda mixture?

10. 88daryl88

88daryl88

I once did some installation work in a Pet Food Factory. They kept some cats in the building because the place attracted rats & mice. I left a brand new file on a bench overnight...a cat sprayed on it and by the time I found it next morning the teeth on the exposed side were gone...not just blunt...they were gone! Pisser!

11. lowstrung

lowstrung

what the....now im freaked out. I hope the metal is ok....it looks ok..the pee just looks like a clear oily spot. I'll wash it off tommorow and see what it looks like. Anyone else had pee pudles on their sheetmetal?

12. I once saw a '57 Chevy that had very low miles, but was rusted out ''from the inside'' due to cat piss! Really.

The outside was fine. The little old lady loved them kitties!

13. I had cats ruin some chrome wheels years ago by spraying them. Ate through the chrome and rusted them up bad. You need some kind of cleaner that's made to dissolve animal by-products, so to speak, then see how bad it is underneath.

14. Loe

Loe
    from CDA, ID

reason 1,562 on why i hate cats. Kill em all i say. Every chance i get, they turn into road smear.

15. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Spot on, I just don't know what is available in the US.
    Whatever it is needs to be STRONG and have a two step process for use. The cleaning of the cat piss, and then a neutraliser for the strength of the cleaning agent.
    A simple wash with a detergent wont cut it and the cat piss residue will remain there eating away the metal and you will NEVER get a good paint finish over it.

So true, ironically I found my final year diary from High School today. Its one of about 3 things I still own from before I joined the Army.
    It has a section where you can record words and their meaning to help expand your vocabulary. There is only one word and definition in it;

Cat..........Furry little target.:D

Doc.

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  16. howco

howco

Here kitty kitty, BOOM!!!!!!!
    Any questions....

17. Lost in the Fifties

Lost in the Fifties

I have cleaned up and restored cars with no lasting after effects. For both cat and mouse urine, rip out all fabric, rubber, paper, insulation. Then, steam with a good detergent, rinse and dry. Be ready to repeat process. It will still have an odor, but not strong. Paint, glue, and new fabric will remove all traces of old inhabitants. Good luck! It's not an easy process.

18. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

My old Snap On tool box is rusty on all four corners due to cats & dogs using it for target practice. We have too many cats to kill them all so a person just has to cut up old carboard boxes and wrap them around to catch the mess. I keep old engine blocks stacked on end with plastic bags over them. I cover bikes with tarps and you can't leave the doors off a helicopter or they will all be sleeping & whizzing & crapping in there too. They can whizz to there hearts content. Little basterds. I wish I had shock collars for all of them.

19. studenut48

studenut48
    from Hanson, Ky

Story of my life, pussy can get messy, sometimes good, sometimes bad.

20. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Cat pee = Dead cat Good luck urine of any kind is horrible on metal

21. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Had a simillar problem with mice.My new Walker rad was stored in its packaging but the little fuckers chewed their way in,made a nest and shit and pissed all over it.Gave it a good wash down with a floor cleaner(Flash) containing disinfectant.Then spent an afternoon picking turds from between the fins with a tooth pick.Bastards chewed through the over-flow hose too!

22. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Anybody have a solution to keep cats away from cars??? If so please let me know.

23. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

Damn.......I knew someone would eventually find out the key ingredient to my secret faux patina recipe........

24. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

Cats pick vertical surfaces to mark territory spraying urine. A product called Feliway will kill the odor. It should be at any pet store. I have actually seen a wandering cat do that in my back yard and the sun was just right so I could see there was not a lot of liquid involved but God what a stink. I made the mistake of leaving my garage door open overnight a couple weeks ago and one sprayed a pile of old curtains that were headed toward trash pickup. Lucky for me all I had to do was put the curtains in a trash bag otherwise my garage would still be stinking to high heaven.

25. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

.22 short. quiet,effective.
    I've left the windows down overnight before and because I leave first the wife got to drive that one to work. I did leave her a note saying to leave the windows down so it could air out. I guess I'm just thoughtful that way.
    And Doc, that steel rain is sumpin aint it?

26. fanspete

fanspete

We've got alot of cats (kill mine, watch your back!) and I use chrome wheel cleaner to clean piss/spray. You need to be pretty quick on certain surfaces or it will dull or stain. Simple Green is effective, too. There are sprays for instant deodorizing of cat litter that help if they hit fabrics. Just a lil advise from yer ole Uncle 'pete!!!

27. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

WTF? I love those little kitty cats. you afraid of some pussy?

28. lowstrung

lowstrung

I scrubed it with soap and water and then took a wire cup brush to it...down to bare metal and covered it up with some epoxy primer. The metal seemed just the same as the non pissed on metal when bare. I get really angry when something gets ruined by something such as a neighbors cat peeing in it. A bowl of atrifreeze left inside the car would fix it.

29. thunderbirds

thunderbirds

i think cat pee is the same as yours would be..just clean it off

30. silversink

silversink

Cure the problem with careful aim(deffinition for gun controll) and a steady pull, them clean up the mess in the car. Once a cat sprays the smell will be there forever wether you can smell it or not and they will come back to remark there teritory. If you need to relocat them bring them over as I need the practice, and crab bait.:eek: