Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Pete Brock Ford Convert

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50Fraud, Feb 6, 2010.

1. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Designer Pete Brock did a lot of famous stuff: the Cobra Daytona Coupe, the original Sting Ray race car, and most everything that Carroll Shelby sold during the '60s.

When he was a young man -- I think still a student at Art Center, in the late '50s or early '60s -- he had a very unusual and cool '46-48 Ford convertible. It was channelled/sectioned, had a chopped top, a mouth-type grille like a sports racer of the period, and was painted white with wide blue racing stripes.

The car was featured in at least one magazine, but I don't recall which one or when. Anybody else recall the car, have photos of it, or remember which magazine featured it?

2. Rikster

Rikster

I have always loved Pete's 46 Ford, especially before the white and stripe remake. But also that version was something really special.

This is the oldest photo I have of it under construction by the Olive Hill Garage...

[​IMG]

Finished in what I think is the best version of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are from one of the Barris books... Merc grille shell

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Car Craft June 1956

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  3. 61TBird

61TBird

Once again,Rikster rules!

[​IMG]

4. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

That was a cool ford

5. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

Now we know where the Shelby stripes came from. Always knew he did them but didn't know they went that far back. Pete's a pretty decent photographer also.

6. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Rik, you are a prince among men! I actually looked for Pete's car through your site but didn't find it. And, I had never connected the first version of it with the striped car. Thanks!

7. Rikster

Rikster

Pete just send me a fantastic photo of his car.

Thought everybody on here who likes customs a little would enjoy this photo.

Photo by Peter Brock from his own collection
    [​IMG]

I think this photo shows how wonderful this car really is. The raised fenders both front and rear, and the sectioned hood, are so elegant. And then the windshield frame that was just chopped the right amount to get in balance with the slimmer body.

Pete bought the car as an already started custom project from a used car lot in San Francisco in early 1950. In Trend Book no 101 Custom Cars from 1951 the under construction photo posted above is listed as a Art & Jerry's Custom Shop car. (Olive Hill Garage)

Pete sold the car in 1955-56 and the car ended up in North Carolina. He has lost track of it ever since. So if anybody knows anything about this car after 1956, or has photos taken at shows etc. Please post.
    Pete would love to be reunited with his old ‘46 Fordillac as he calls it.

8. Recently we had a similiar post about this car. I remember when I was trying to locate the El Marquis show car in the seventies it was owned by a guy named Harry Costa and I think he also owned this car.

9. chrisman

chrisman

I had only seen the striped version before, but DAMN how good it looks in its first incarnation!

10. Weasel

Weasel

Beautiful car and I was just wondering yesterday about the origin of 'skunk stripes'. Is this the answer perhaps?

The proportions and balance on this car are just righteous!

11. 50Fraud

50Fraud

No. Briggs Cunningham used them on his competition cars starting in the early '50s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  13. thanks Rik, Pete, that was a beauty in the early version. I liked the white version (except the hood) always thought it was made into a ford sports car.