Register now to get rid of these ads!

My review of Summit racing house brand paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 42hotrod, Dec 14, 2009.

1. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

The HVLP thread got me wondering how many others have played with this?

I shot an O/T blazer with it recently and was actually very impressed with the results and thought I would start a new thread and share my experiences with you all.

First.
    It is advertised as a single stage urethane paint system. A gallon of paint with reducer and hardenerwill put you in the ball park of a hundred bucks. (Thats not a typo!)

Second.
    They sell all their branded components to match it. Reducers, Hardeners, fish Eye eliminator, etc...

Third.
    They sell two versions of a house brand clear. A standard, and a high solids clear.

Now onto my experience with it. The base shoots very easy. Good coverage, doesn't run overly easy. Sets a little slow being a supposed single stage so watch your metallics for sagging and make sure your last coat or two are shot a little light to avoid the sags in the metallic.

I talked my buddy into ordering the high solids clear since he planned on using the truck to hunt and stuff and it's easier to polish/ touch up clear coat scratches than a pearled single stage color.

When we completed the base coat I was very dissapointed in the amount of gloss in the suposed single stage paint and I was a little nervous that the clear wouldn't bring it up. It also had very little depth.

A buddy of mine did a little custom airbrush work on it while we were waiting, just some smoke looking stuff on the fenders. Hunting truck ,beer, it was fun...LOL

I laid the first coat of clear and all my concerns went away. It gained an amazing amount of depth and color to it and the pearl started to pop. As I put more on it, it really came out. Overall I liked the clear.

So,
    To wrap it up, buy the clear....without fail.

Both the base and clear are reduceable. You will need reducer for both. The clear takes some getting used to spraying. It feels very thick. I ended up reducing the clear by 10% (after hardener) with their reducer to get nice flow-out with it.
    you can lay the clear on damn thick. Even at 10% reduction it doesn't run...like almost ever...LOL

Now the big question, would I recommend it or use it again?

Hell yes, his paintjob supplies ( no primer or fillers I had all that done when I sold him the truck) was right around $225.00! For a two stage urethane paint job that looks really nice. He gets compliments everywhere he goes now.

So...here is the off-topic truck, please only look at the paint job and ignore the vehicle...LOL (it is now back together, wheels, tires etc..good looking truck)

[​IMG]

2. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

thanks for the review.. but one pic without much of any angles that show the clear and reflections well dont help me

3. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

Sorry, I just didn't want to post a bunch of O/T pics and get the thread deleted. It took me two cups of coffee to type it :D

Here is one more showing the reflection. If your really paying attention you can see some of the pearl flop. Look near the second light reflection and the paint gets darker. In person it is much more obvious and flops to a purple color in the right light.

[​IMG]

Two hours after paint.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  4. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

have you color sanded and buffed or are we looking at how it lays out of the gun? looks nice, I'll be in the paint market this summer. doesn't the reducer come in a temp range? if so which one did you buy? thanks

5. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

6. SteadyT

SteadyT

Nice affordable paint job, and that video of your 46 is rad.

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for info - one of those products you hear about, but don't want to risk using - even that cheap. Of course, the finished product depends on how good all of the prep work before paint is.

8. allengator

allengator
    from Keller, TX

thanks for the info!!!

9. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

LOTS of prep work, this was going to be a really sweet truck when I had it, then I sold it to a friend. He did a nice job finishing it out. Its an 86, 91 front clip and doors, de-trimmed and emblemed then lots of blocking/sanding with Dupont chroma-surfacer.

10. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

That looks good. I gotta learn this stuff.
    I got TOTALLY bagged on for painting my rims yellow with a rattle can sunday.

11. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Doesn't look too bad the day after, I wonder how it holds up. UV protection is where the coin is at.

12. I would just about be willing to bet that the materials are packaged for Summit by a major brand company and are essentially the same product they sell under their own label. They will keep that a secret as long as possible.

13. 19Fordy

19Fordy

looks great. Who makes the paint for Summit?

14. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

well Summit sells all kind of House of color stuff, Hmmm I wonder who might be making it?;)

15. N2TRUX

N2TRUX

With out a doubt. Summit has become notorious for their "Summit" brand plan white boxes. The good news is when you open the plain white boxes, a name brand component is inside. Usually complete with the the manufacturers labels intact.

Nice write up 42hotrod.

16. 61 chevy

61 chevy

come shoot my car, i will even help

17. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

I don't know what it means ~wink wink~ But the smell really reminds me of Dupont Nason products...LOL

Seems to me each company has a unique smell, PPG, Dupont, Sherwin Williams, Etc etc....

Someone in the business could probably nail it with a whiff, but it smells like nason to me...

As far as UV protection, I'm sure there is a difference, it was 225.00, as opposed to the last Dupont Chromabase/clear job I sprayed for 1200.00 for roughly the same amount of sprayable product...LOL

18. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Does the text on the back of the can match up to any manufacturers you're familiar with? Quite often that's standardized even if the front has a different label.

19. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

Looks just like Eastwood paint after looking on the web. Same colors and everything. but that still doesn't tell us who makes it because Eastwood is another re-labeler...LOL

20. I believe that is Kirker Automotive product.

21. oneredryderone

oneredryderone

not to steal SUMMIT's thunder, but
    chekout WWW.SMARTSHOPPERSINC.COM
    they offer a comparable kit, reasonably priced.

red ryder

22. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

I have researched it a bunch in the last few months, and I agree with wfo guy, it seems to be Kirker brand paint.

23. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

I would agree, looks like kirker.

I don't care, it worked out great for me...LOL

Just throwing some info out on a product and it looks like I managed to review 3 products! hahaha

Kirker, Eastwood and Summit!!!

24. filthy frank

filthy frank

you will know its kirker if you'er not wearing a full face mask ! a custimer suplied me with a gallon of kirker, and at the time i wasent wearing a full face mask and boy i was sorry !i ivested in a new mask imedeatly after that !.

25. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

I just acqired a new project yesterday VERY cheap that is in good shape and a cheap paint job would be right up my alley.

26. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

I didn't wear a full face mask, just nose/mouth respirator. What happened to you? I've never had any kind of reaction to a paint product so maybe i'm pretty resistant?

27. I`ve bought several products from SmartShopper.com including the Kirker paint. Always quite pleased with the quality for the money.

28. my neighbor just did a O/T dodge truck in silver and it looks great and this guy can run paint like you wouldnt believe but it flowed great no runs.I getting ready to order it for a O/T 68 mercury Im doing.........two thumbs up

29. Great review, thanks for posting!