Register now to get rid of these ads!

SHOW RODS 60 & 70s..stories - pics ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by meatball, Oct 29, 2007.

1. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

This Car was at the Big 4 World of wheels In the City many moons ago..

2. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Ed Newton was the evil genius responsible for the Coach.

Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Tom davison [​IMG]
    The Boothill Flower Truck was originally built in California as the Paddy Wagon, (possibly by Art or Mickey Himsl..not sure about that one, but I know it was a different one than Andy's, Meatball). Ray purchased it for something like $4500 and remade it into the Flower Truck.

Then, a couple of years later, he recycled it again into the Money Truck or some such. He spent hours gluing money and rows of coins on it, covering the whole thing up, then cleared it. He asked all of his friends to contribute signed bills so I and quite a few of us humored him. I gave signed a $50 bill as my "contribution". There were a lot of silver dollars on it too, as I recall.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Thanks for that info. I had no idea that the truck I saw used to be the Paddy Wagon! I wish I would have taken photos of all those weird creations when I was in his shop back then. I also wish I knew what happened to the Mysterion body that was reportedly in Ray's shop for a while. No one seems to know where it went from there.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
    Looking for a 351M rear sump pan and related goodies. PM me if you have one.

It is not, however, the same Paddy Wagon which is pictured at a dragstrip earlier in this thread. I think the blue one may have been built by Carl Casper.

3. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Any update pictures of your Pie Wagon ?

4. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Anyone seen the Beer Truck lately or know where it is ?

5. just sittin waiting for me to get a job so I can dump more cash in it.its up and a roller with the motor and trans sittin in it right now,metalshapes rebuilt the frame to fit inside the body

Attached Files:

6. jrsautografx

jrsautografx

Thank you for starting this thread. I love these style of cars, brings back great memories of my childhood. There was a book full of these at the local library I used to borrow for weeks at a time. Actually borrowed it again a few years back. I have a big stack of Hot Rod Show Worlds so if anybody needs any info shoot me an e-mail and I'll look it up.

7. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

The car is awesome! Keep us updated.Thanks for the picture.

8. The rail was Clive Skiltons, The "T" Bucket in the film was once owned by Jeff Beck and then owned by a friend of mine, who now live in California, and I owned Andy's T, from 1976 to 1978, then I bought it back again from 1999 to mid 2000. The picture taken 1976. And the shot of my 37 Coupe is outside the same pub that Andy's T pulls up at in the begining of the film

Attached Files:

9. love that c-cab,Ive still got the street rod quaterly with pages on the Andys C-Cab

10. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I meant to say Beer Wagon. Typing without thinking can be dangerous.Anyway,anyone know its whereabouts?

11. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Pie Wagon, " Nice Wheels"

12. yeah...thought they looked great on a Model A,but this works............thanks to JimA for the relay

Attached Files:

13. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

If they had built this thing in the 80s they would have had to use pie pan wheels!

14. yeah.lucky it was a late 60s styled car

Attached Files:

15. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Amen to that !!!!!!

16. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

I have a modeler's question about Cushenberry's Silhoutte. Did it have a full under belly pan or was it open on the bottom?

Thanks,
    Marty

17. 7"Chop

7"Chop
    from Denver

Full belly pan.

18. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Anyone know where the Tom Daniels cars are? I went to his site but it only talks about the models.

19. not many around as I know,My PieWagon and some guy in upper arizona was buildin the paddy wagon but I dont know what happened to that project........Id like to see more of his stuff done,problem might be working with Mr Daniel

20. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

A customer of mine just finnished this thing ,got it lic & reg and is now driving it on the street albeit quite slowly. It was a 5 year progect due to his health problems.

Attached Files:

21. very cool..is that a Orberg car??

22. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

No, built by John Coombs, Torrance Ca.

23. looks great,sure got that boothill express/raider coach vibe.......couple more cragars up front its done...................

24. Plowboy

Plowboy

I could believe that story. Independence, MO must be the Bermuda Triangle for showrod type disappearances. The original 8 carbs for the Atomic Punk diappeared down there. Maybe Warbozz is collecting all of these parts and will show up 20 years from now with a bitchin car made out of all of these long lost/stolen parts.

25. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Thats what show cars are all about! Imagination turned reality to take us out of the boring every day humdrum but this time with the added luxury of actually beeing able to drive them on the street. Thumbs up dude!

26. Plowboy

Plowboy

Does anyone know where the Paul Revere car is now? I mean really...with a photo and all. I heard it was being used as a jungle gym for kids in someones yard in CA for a while....

27. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

My tought exactly, all that work and then ruinin it w/ those stupid wheels!
    Its not my cup o'tea but i appreciate the effort and i recognize the vibe of
    the 60s show rods, so much respect for that! But dude! Swap those front wheels!
    How ya doin Meatball,im back at work now and must pm your mate Muttley for sum little pages!
    Thanx again for gettin me in touch w/ him. Talk to ya soon, bonez.

28. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Thanks for all the complements, And I can tell you that John doesnt like the front wheels either but that is all he could get/afford at the time. About trying to put "CRAGARS" on the front, engineering wise it was better to go with skinnys up front to reduce the load on the steering. This car has a hydrolic pump gear head from a boat which runs lines to a ram to the front spindel.The least amout of steering resistance the better, The downsides to this are that it takes a lot of turns to move the fluid and you are constantly sawing the steering wheel because the system does not allow the wheels to track back to straigt following a turn.Also to put Cragars up front would require a hub to bolt the wheel to and doing somthing about hiding the uglyness of the backside of the rim.

To give you some insight on John,
    He built this whole thing by himself in a small one car garage. The only thing I did for him was the welding and machine work. He cut and fitted & drilled every single piece of metal on that thing practicly by hand with simple tools (on occasion my band saw).
    Polishing, chrome, paint and upholstery were the only things left to others. Oh , my mistake, he painted the carosell horse--mutible shades all in heavy flake,and he stiched the fabric on the fenders by hand(like the coaches were done originaly).
    What makes Johns story interesting is that while doing this passion project ,He was "HOMELESS" living on the street in a donated motorhome while using his disablity monies for garage rent and this car. For health reasons somtimes he could only work on it for an hour or so and then recouperate for the rest of the day.When I dont hear from him for a few weeks I call to make sure he is OK and not dead(really). Sometimes he answeres from a hospital bed and sometimes I wake him up, sometimes I dont see him because it takes to much gas in the motorhome to get to my shoppe from where he is at and cannot afford it.
    I can say now that since this car is done that he started to take better care of himself and is doing much better.

29. damn whata story...props to him and you for being sucha good friend,that being said the cheap way out that would still work would be to use maybe a pair of 16 inch HD wire wheels off a bagger they should handle the weight and do what is required.......hope this car gets the due it is deserved.hope to see it in the LARS this year.......respectss Kent

30. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

very inspiring story...such determination