Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 Pontiac Silver Streak, what's it worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Philbilly, Aug 16, 2009.

1. wvenfield

wvenfield

IMO a small block in your 49 makes it worth less. It's all in what you want.

2. Philbilly

Philbilly

That wheel is only on the left front. The other has the original hubcaps on them and the other hubcap is in the trunk. Not sure why that wheel is on there. The car has been passed down through his family and my friends uncle who has the car has got it running and had driven it around some.

3. Philbilly

Philbilly

This pic was snagged from the hotrod hayride thread. I hope hershambob doesn't mind. Anyway, this car makes me want that poncho even more. And yes, this is a chopped 4 door.
    [​IMG]

4. wvenfield

wvenfield

Maybe you can offer him $1750 for that one.

5. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Id offer him a grand for the car.. its got a nice round number..not to low ,not to high..and because its a friends uncle, if he wants more, then go up 2-500..Id hold the max for that around 2500-3000..only if its in as good as shape as you think..

6. Philbilly

Philbilly

Very funny. :D I bet that car is way out of my price range.

7. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

Stick to the $750 max, there's cars all over. And did you lay on the ground and inspect for rust? California has rust-free cars like that all over, Pomona Swap meet, if they don't sell in the first few hours the sellers invite peeps to "insult them with an offer" and that is with a posted price already marked down.

Remember what Uncle Bob said, rust never sleeps.

8. Philbilly

Philbilly

Well. I want be buying that 50 Poncho. The guy wants $10,000. Thats right, 10k. I told him good luck with that one.

9. Lumpster

Lumpster

Holy shit! Somebodys been watching Barrett-Jackson !!!!!

10. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I can't believe I wasted the time to read this entire thread...

11. I paid $1400 delivered for my 1952 pontiac 2dr hardtop (avatar) and I thought it was not great but a decent deal.

12. retromotors

retromotors

Not a bad looking old ride.

Hard to tell from your second photo, but it sure looks like it has the same wheel on the left rear.:confused:

Anyway, good luck on your dealings.

13. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

WTF? That is NO WHERE NEAR a comparable car. $50 for a clapped out rusted to fuck car that is missing all the trim and chrome, no glass, no interior,, the front fender is half gone, rusted to NOTHING, so I'm sure the rest of it isn't far behind, vs. a car that RUNS, and generally looks ok. No, its not worth 10k the guy wants for it, I don't think its worth 2k, unless someone has recently gone through it. I'd probably give 1000-1500, if that is what I was looking for. If it just fell in my lap, but not really what I wanted, less.

I bought a 52 4 door Chieftain a few months back for 1k, with 6k in new, in the box parts, tires, etc. Reciepts included. Not something I was really wanting at the time, but, a pretty good deal, so I jumped on it.

14. joedoh

joedoh
    from Wichita KS

why would THEY care what it costs YOU to restore? Lowering the price because it costs to fix it up, isnt that the same as them paying for the work?

I call it the "magic number" system. You put a price in your head, at or below you buy, above you walk. very simple. If their price is above your number, offer your number. If they decline, respectfully thank them and leave. This way you dont sit around and wonder about what got away. trying to negotiate a price under what you are willing to pay is a fools bet, offer what you are willing to pay and stick to it. Tell them up front, this isnt a negotiating or jumping off point, I am offering this and thats it. Dont be a jerk about it.

I have had people call me back after several months/years and accept my price. I have had people never call me. I have called guys back after declining their offers for my cars because they werent pricks about it. I have torn guys numbers up who offered close to what my sale price was because they spent the whole time gritching about what it was going to cost them to transport/fix/get running, geeze if you are put together that tight here is some 3 in 1 oil.

Nothing wrong with researching what the market pays but in the end its what it would be worth to YOU. The worst that can happen is they say no. Well thats not true, they could beat you up for lowballing them and throw you in the river tied up in a sack of cats. But thats probably the worst that can happen. Carry a pocketknife just in case.

15. DaxxRuckus

DaxxRuckus

wow, $10k! They must be dreaming. I would have paid $1-2k for that, but not more.

16. vertible59

vertible59

Does a small house come with it?

17. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Theyres a dude here in Tucson with a 38 ply. RATTRAP! Interior is eaten along with the wires and the guy has a buyer thats wanting it for 10k. There it sits. I had 1000 in hand and he saw b/j auction and "has a classic". As much as I'd rather go another direction, This car is a prime candidate fur 350/350 and the rest.
    Set a limit and smile.

18. Gigantor

Gigantor

I can't believe I just read this whole fucked up post to find out your friends uncle is lunatic. Make me an offer my ass. For a stock 4-door?!?

19. Philbilly

Philbilly

Someone told him that he has a rare car, and he expected me to offer him more. Oh, Well. On to the next project.

20. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

roflmao :D:D:D:D

me too.

21. Was a '52 Pontiac 4dr, just like that more or less, and in not much worse shape around here ... must have been summer of 2008. I found it in the you-pull-it yard. That aught to tell you both how rare it isn't, and what it's worth. I did sell the cluster out of it for $40, someone else got all the rest of the best pieces though.

You should tell your friend's uncle that if he considers nearly half a million cars built that year, the majority of which were 4-door sedans, to be rare, then it's rare, but that according to Old Cars Price Guide Magazine for $10,000 you should be able to take it to a car show and win trophies because it needs nothing whatsoever.

Now the question is why we brought this thread from August back up to the top six months later?

22. Yes, but that still doesn't tell us why you felt the need to bring this back up six months later.

I've driven and enjoyed old 4-doors, they're certainly good for more than just parts.

23. bendtypes

bendtypes

I have a 52 Catalina (2 DR/HT) - it is by far, the most valuable of the 49 - 52 Ponchos. The 4 dr is the most available. If the thing is is as good of shape as you
    described, it would cost $3,500 -5,000 is Calif.

I'd start with $1,500 - 2,000 and see what they say.
    Not much help but hopefully some .............

Bill