Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wheres all the old junk yards in Michigan guys?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fishslayer82, Mar 30, 2007.

1. fishslayer82

fishslayer82

I will be starting my seasonal job again soon traveling around Michigan, Northern Indiana and the UP. I have a lot of free time after work and would like to check out some old junk yards around the state(s). So where are they??

Also, anyone know a phone number or hours for the one in Vestaburg. Ive heard alot about it and wanna get up there soon. Thanks in advance.

2. fishslayer82

fishslayer82

3. Reds 29

Reds 29

Hilliard's is the junkyard by Vestaburg, north of M-46 a few miles, on what we call Winn Rd., but it's also called Crystal Rd. It is open on a variable schedule, depends on how Erv feels. Usually it opens around ten in the morning, and you have a better chance finding him open Tuesday-Friday. He's been sick, is going blind, and can be very unpredictable. He has a guy helping him, his kid I think, but Erv still decides prices. He'll probably let you take pictures, but ask first, lots of stuff, but condition is poor. They usually remove all parts, but that depends on the day.
    Two other yards are Foxes on the north end of Harrison, turn east just past the State Park, and turn north just before US-27. Looks like your going down a driveway, past a lake, keep going. A drive leads east about a half mile and there is a sign. Lots of newer stuff but some old Buicks, mopars, and a row of Camaros, and a few others, he said no cameras. Swains' junkyard is east of Bellaire, west of Mancelona, on M-88, that is northeast of Traverse City. They let us drive around, lots of stuff but mostly newer, and looks like its been bulldozed to make roads. Some older stuff toward the back, just have to hunt around for it. Let me know if you get up this way, I might be able to join you.
    Red

4. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

warhoops has tons of stuff but there pricey but its fun to walk around there. just bring your boots the place is filthy

5. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

prolly right here:

[​IMG]

6. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

pm me when your ready. i know of a few.

7. fishslayer82

fishslayer82

Where is warhoops??

My job is fish research... if its really dirty I will wear my waders in there:D

8. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

<TABLE id=ypResultSponsor cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=750 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Warhoops Used Auto & Truck Parts
    <SMALL>40 Years At This Location</SMALL>
    (586) 731-1616 More Info </TD><TD noWrap>7575 18 1/2 Mile Rd.
    Sterling Heights, MI Map </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

9. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

nothin left in any Michigan yards except maybe some roofs. the rest rusted away long ago. :(

10. Hillard's... (989)- 268- 5262.

11. 31aBoy

31aBoy

I know there are 2 yards outside of Midland. I'm originally from there, and not sure on there exact location, but they have A LOT of good old junk... one has a 59 caddy...only thing is, its two high.

12. fishslayer82

fishslayer82

I dont know if any of you guys have been to the one in Whittimore, between West Branch and Tawas, south of 55. Arces of old cars, mostly 60-70s, but they had a back lot that had mostly 30s-50s cars, and a lot of trucks. Best junkyard I have ever been to. Forgot the name of it though.

13. DetroitBilt50

DetroitBilt50
    from detroit

YOU WOULD FALL N LOVE AT BOBS IN LAPEER. BUT HE WILL TEAR YOUR EYE BALLS OUT PRICING STUFF. :eek: I BELIEVE HE IS ON LAPEER ROAD. I WAS THERE LAST YEAR. VERY COOL TO WALK AROUND IF HES IN THE MOOD TO LET YA.

14. DetroitBilt50

DetroitBilt50
    from detroit

His Card Says, Call For Hours, 810-793-7500

15. ka-zoo

ka-zoo

16. ct_mule

ct_mule
    from UK

Was just up in Northern Michigan last week and stumbled across Swaine's. Lots of old farm stuff and trucks (apparently this was how it got started after the war), but enough other stuff to keep you happy for a couple of hours of wandering around. Took a few snaps of stuff that caught my eye. I have a few more pics of 40s/50s things that I haven't been able to identify (what with me being a Brit an all).

Have added an overview shot as attachment.

Pics of the cars are at http://autopendium.com/tags/swains-junkyard

Attached Files:

17. FASI

FASI

There is a Chevy split exhaust manifold in Cedar, free for the taking. Also a roof for a 52 Chevy 2dr. PM for location.

18. floydjer

floydjer
    BANNED

Any other old geezers remember when Joe`s in Spring Lake was THE place to go ??

19. Never2low

Never2low

My Dad talks about Joe's all the time. (He's 74) Talkin about bartering for
    parts for his Duece Tudor, in the early 60's.

20. WolfWhistle

WolfWhistle
    from Michigan

I have been to the yard in Whittemore and Harrison. And I went to Hilliards whe I was younger. Is there anything good that is left in Swains in Bellaire, Joes in Spring lake or even at Hilliards?

21. terry48435

terry48435

Bob's is gone. Auctioned off.Was listed in Hemmings magazine.

22. WolfWhistle

WolfWhistle
    from Michigan

Do you know anything about Hilliards in Vestaburg. I heard he sold it a while back but I also heard that the people who bought it kept the way it is? Is this true?

23. Was the trim left on that Pontiac? How about the front or rear bumpers

24. Reds 29

Reds 29

Hilliards was sold and the new owners crushed most of it but left a few cars. They will sell parts I understand but there isn't a lot left. I haven't been by this summer to see what's left.

25. WolfWhistle

WolfWhistle
    from Michigan

I will have to make a special trip on my next day off and go to Hilliards. It's been quite some time since I've been there. Has anybody been to any other Junkyards this summer?

26. 4speed411

4speed411

Talked with a guy who worked at Hilliard's a few years back....he said the rafters of the sheds are full of chrome trim...never been in the sheds to see it though...

27. 4speed411

4speed411

Pelkie MI in the UP 906-353-7571 has a yard with pre 1950 stuff also, runs a lot of adds on craigslist for parts

28. Rattler02

Rattler02

Back from the dead. Researching Michigan yards with old cars.

I know what one of the yards are west of Beaver and that place is a muscle car goldmine. Is/was the other over by Sanford? I heard rumors of one over that way. Sova's doesn't really have much old stuff unless you want Chevy van parts. Plus Mike is a pretty good guy. Msg me if you don't want to put it out there.

I have plans to drive by/hit up a couple that have been mentioned here within the next months now that the vegetation is dying off. Time for photos!!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  29. old_soul_young_blood

old_soul_young_blood
    from Down River

Rattler, did you get up to the yard west of beaver? I'm aware of the location just haven't made it there to see if there is any poncho muscle stuff.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  30. WolfWhistle

WolfWhistle
    from Michigan

There’s a small yard in between Sanford and Midland on Saginaw Street. Every time I drive by there the gate is closed and I don’t know where I could get info on owners.

There’s also a couple new ones I found out about. If you’d like to message me. I will tell you about them. As I don’t want them on the thread. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.