Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 Ford Standard Vs Deluxe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fergusonic, Aug 10, 2009.

1. fergusonic

fergusonic
    from Kokomo, In

1940 Ford Coupe: As casually viewed from the outside; the Hood and Grille of a Deluxe is different than that of a Standard. Could one remove the Hood and Grille from the Deluxe and bolt the Standard's Hood and Grille in it's place?.......ie; what are the interchangabilty differences?

2. There was no difference on the tub so it should be a bolt on. There may have been some minor differences in the fenders but I don't think it will affect installing the hood and grill.

3. Yes you can switch front end sheetmetal, I've seen it done can't tell the difference. Only difference would be the windshield wipers on the standard are on the roof and deluxe are on the cowl.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  4. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

Could one remove the Hood and Grille from the Deluxe and bolt the Standard's Hood and Grille in it's place?.......ie; what are the interchangabilty differences?
    yes, the standard grill and hood will bolt directly to a deluxe. but then you will have a deluxe with a standard nose, there are several differences between a standard and deluxe- gauges, door window garnish moldings, front fender supports, trim on the dash board, headlight doors, vent window lock levers, to name a few.

5. sawzall

sawzall

I am going to do the same to this

[​IMG]

I took the fenders and grille off in one piece.. anyone need a grille and hood??

lothiandon1940 and Spooky like this.
  6. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

Not sure if it would be an issue for you, but the Deluxe bumper brackets are longer than the Standard's, due to the different grill design.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

What's wrong with standards?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
    I think they are the better looking of the 2 models!

lothiandon1940 and Robert Downs like this.
  8. 50Fraud

50Fraud

The OP asks if he can change a Dlx into a Std. Here's a '40 cvt that's been made into a Std; Ford never made a Std convertible:

[​IMG]

9. I had a 40 cpe with a 39 grill. Opra coupe.
    I think the standard/39 grill is smoother. :) cleaner lines.

10. mj40's

mj40's

Both the Deluxe and Standards had the wipers on the cowl. It was the 39's that had the wipers on the roof.

11. mj40's

mj40's

I need a grill.

12. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

I personally like a 40 deluxe, and years ago was more desirable, but lately a lot of guys have been converting their 40 deluxe's to standards. anyway the other diferences are the standard had on tail light, one sunvisor and did'nt have a clock, but I love all , anybody have a 39 or 40 4 door floor ? I have a 39 convertible sedan that needs a floor.

carolina chevrolet likes this.
  13. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

The dash is different in a standard also. The cluster is cleaner and less " busy " . The standard had painted headlight doors where the DeLuxe came with chrome. BUT most rodders buy the chrome repops ...

[​IMG]

I also prefer the standard over a DeLuxe. :D

tinsled likes this.
  14. Yes, they will interchange. And I just sold my old Deluxe! :(

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From Our Old Car Collection</td></tr></table>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  15. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

1940 Ford Deluxe was the "High Water Mark" for Ford styling IMHO! The 1941, I used to think were just "butt fugly" have kinda grown on me after all these years. My personal favorite I must say has always been the 46-48 coupes!

16. Does anyone have any comparison pictures of the garnish moldings to show the differences? (probably a newb request)

17. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

i agree! can u use the 39 grill on a truck? i got a 41 pu

18. The trim pieces on the hood sides are a little shorter on the Std. to conform to the different hood contour. Keep this in mind if you plan to re-use them on a Deluxe hood. They will fit, just not as well as the proper Deluxe hood trim.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  19. Pop's Garage

Pop's Garage

I am converting my '40 Deluxe to Standard - have two deluxe hoods, need a good standard hood in So. Calif. area - anyone have one to sell or trade?

20. yblock292

yblock292

if i ever do any thing with mine i'll go from delux to standard. got the front clip, i just think the standards are better looking.

Robert Downs likes this.
  21. I know it sounds strange, but I've always liked the DeLuxe Model when it's a Stock/Restored car and the Standard Model when it's hot-rodded. Either way it's one of the purest, most beautifully designed cars of all time, especially in the Coupe version.(IMHO).

Spooky likes this.
  22. I agree, I always have thought that....now I know I'm not alone!

23. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

My coupe is a standard, but after an unfortunate encounter with the back end of a pickup truck (1976), it became an "almost" Deluxe.

I'm not sure, but the passenger sun visor and right hand tail light might have been options on the Standard. Both were both on my car when I got it in 1967; maybe added by a previous owner, but they sure looked like they were born there.

24. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Kids!
    Mines a original deluxe so I think I will stay Deluxe! Ask any girl Standard Or Deluxe ? They choose Deluxe everytime! My ol girl even has orig paint with patina but orig! Don't know if interior shots helped garnish moulding questions! Tks Bill

Attached Files:

Spooky likes this.
  25. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Always prefered the Standard to the Deluxe but when your dealing with what in my opinion is one of the most beautiful automobiles ever designed I won't be choosy. When Deuce Roadster put his standard up for sale I scrambled for a couple of weeks trying to raise the money and whinned for a couple of months when someone else beat me to it.

Frank

26. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like them both, but always build deluxes and the differences all have mentioned are pretty right on-I like the deluxe window garnishes better as they fill the front corner better I think--may get some arguement here but there is a difference in deluxe and std front fenders from the 7 or 8 I have owned (some of each)-it is along the edge of the front fender where the grille meets the fender-a very slight (1/8") difference starting at the top of the grille attachment down to the bottom and the bumper guards are shorter-whcih is better looking-it's a toss up for sure--both can't be beat for the pinnacle of Ford styling in my mind--have astd coupe wainting in the wings after my current car is done-will be the 1st one of last 4 not painted cloude mist grey-will be Folkstone grey I think

Spooky and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

Sorry, but all 40s have windshield wipers on the cowl.39s have the wipers on the roof. might be getting 39 deluxe and 40 standards mixed up.

28. bonesy

bonesy

My favorite car design is the '40 standard. You just can't go wrong with it. So clean.

tinsled and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I'm biased but I like the '40 deluxe best. They're so... Deluxe!

Spooky likes this.
  30. I've never heard that one before! You sure? :confused:

Buckshot40