Register now to get rid of these ads!

early 60s Des Moines Dragway allison powered dragster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ghost28, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Ghost28

Ghost28

Just got this in an email, thought I would pass it on to the hamb. To find out if anyone has history or remembers this dragster. It looks like a fun ride compared to the rules of today. I searched around to see if it has been posted and couldn't find anything (check out the wheels)...ghost

Attached Files:

2. 5window

5window

Slick. I'd sure rather hear,and see,that thing run than the copy cat TF's and FC's of today. Thanks for posting-hope you get the history.

3. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

4. Ghost28

Ghost28

I thought I'd send this back up to the top for any additional info. Thanks... John

5. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

There is a 4 page article on this car in the November 1962 Popular Hot Rodding. The guy's wife was the chief mechanic(how cool is that?). In the pictures in the mag it has detachable wings on it. I'll try to scan the article and post it when I have a chance.

6. Ghost28

Ghost28

Thanks miidnightrider. I just thought the car was pretty cool and wanted to know more about it, and the record it held with the AHRA. Thanks again...John

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  7. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Here are the scans. I don't know if you can make the scans big enough to read anything or not. It says the car was a little over a year old at the time and had so far run a best of 8.92 at 185.18

Attached Files:

8. Ghost28

Ghost28

Thanks again midnightrider. I am going to look up the 62 popular hot rodding...John

9. dubldart340

dubldart340
    from Ohio

Ghost28, I stumbled onto your original post while googling info on Lee Pendleton, the owner of the car in your picture. Lee is an old friend of my Dad. My Dad was part of the crew of that car and built the fiberglass body that was later installed on it. You can see it in my avatar.

Unfortunately, the car wrecked in Gary, IN in 1963. Howard Wysong, the driver, died in the accident and that ended Lee's time in drag racing.

Just this past weekend, at the California Hot Rod Reunion, one of Lee's previous cars, which he had purchased from Art Arfons, was debuted. It is painted in Arfon's "Green Monster" colors, instead of Lee's "Spitfire" colors, but it looks awesome.

I may be able to provide more info or pics if you are interested.

Dave

10. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

Great post, that PHR scan was very interesting reading.

11. Ghost28

Ghost28

I still haven't found the article in popular hot rodding yet, but I will. The history of this car is more than I expected, and I would like more info, or pics when you get time. you can post them on this thread. Thanks. Oh and welcome to the hamb network...John

12. dubldart340

dubldart340
    from Ohio

I believe if you search the HAMB, you may find that article. Do a search on "Pendleton". There are a couple of scanned articles about the car out there.