Register now to get rid of these ads!

tinting headlights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gofaster, Jul 9, 2009.

1. gofaster

gofaster
    from georgia

Does anyone know how to "tint" headlights like the car below? Paint, window tint?

Attached Files:

2. NuzzyFipples

NuzzyFipples

those look like fog lights. try looking for driving lights possible for off road vehicles that may be the right diameter of your casing.

I have a jeep and you can find all kinds of lights like that for them, maybe you can find some that will work for you.

good luck.

Nuzzy

3. Zartman456

Zartman456

Just put yellow "headlight film" over whatever lights you want. I think when I got my yellow film it was from a company called rockblocker but you can find it all over the internet.

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

5. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

6. jagfxr1949

jagfxr1949

French headlights. They did and may still have yellow headlights - maight find them on Epay

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. Squablow

Squablow

There was a guy on the HAMB who was using colored Reynold's Wrap to tint his headlights. It's microwave safe, so it stands up to the heat. He said he had to change it out after a while when it gets dirty/full of bugs but apparently other than that it worked great.

Would be really cheap and would give you an idea of how you liked it without committing to anything permanent. Just a thought.

9. HoldFast

HoldFast

There are companies out there that make film like that. Cut to fit or precut. I run clear versions of the film on the entire front end of my daily driver including extra thick on fog lights and head lights for high speed rock impacts.

http://www.stickercity.com/headlight_protection_covers/

is one place you can get it precut or in bulk. Very easy to install and very durable. I've had it on the front of my car for 5 years.

10. mj40's

mj40's

You may want to check your local laws and see if the law states what color is legal to use in a headlight. Fog light would fall under accessory lighting.
    Here is what is stated in Idaho law; No person shall operate any motor vehicle on the highways with headlamps which are composed of, covered by, or treated with any material, substance, system, or component which, when such head lamps are not in
    operation, is highly reflective or otherwise opaque and nontransparent.
    Just FYI and my 2cents!

11. Go to your Auto pats store and find the Duplicolor "anodized" paint. It's candy in a can (comes in blue,red,green,yellow,purple). My buddy did his 60 Pontiac lights in yellow and they look great. Total coast $11.00

12. carkiller

carkiller

I cleaned mine (NEW) w/thinner sprayed light coats of yellow/clear 50/50. Worked great. Cal

13. Yellow lights are street legal here in Ontario but as MJ40 says check local/state laws.

That Idaho laws seems to make headlights with doors over them or pop up ones ( old T bird Cougars Vettes etc.) illegal. Kinda weird.

14. gofaster

gofaster
    from georgia

Great point on the state laws. I will have to check to see what Georgia says. Thanks to everyone for their input.

15. Ghastly

Ghastly
    from DETROIT,MI

Your local NAPA store can order those style lights in red or yellow for about $35 each.

16. K-is-for-kustom

K-is-for-kustom
    BANNED

I got the ones in my car off of egay, they are fog light bulbs for 7" offroad lights, just search for 'yellow sealed beam' they have blue ones too. I run em on the street all the time and the cops don't care.:cool::cool:

17. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

I have yet to find a paint that sticks to the glass on headlights and doesnt start cracking or flaking.. even after I scuff and prep the surface properly..

18. Deuces

Deuces

Krylon yellow tint #9024 and matching clear for a top coat... :cool:

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Yep, easiest way. Frog sealed beams. Gary

20. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

21. Deuces

Deuces

Thanks for posting the article Gary!! :cool:

22. nali

nali

Old topic .....
    In France , the bulb inside was yellow , until it changed in the 80 s .
    The headlight was clear , like here .

23. Deuces

Deuces

I'll be tinting my fog light lenses next week.. I'll take some "before, during and after" pictures that I hope I can post on here..

24. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

These are just yellow fog lights I got at Car Quest.

[​IMG]

25. historynw

historynw

I got a set of spring clip on fog lights, covers made to slide in over the headlamp. some might be out there yet.

26. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

When did this become a fad? I'm guessing it's a new thing. It was never done in the 60s or 70s in my area anyway. I don't even remember it being done on trailered race cars from that time.

27. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

Not to be the I've got a picture of someone doing back then guy but I've found some of trailered race cars doing it around here and thats why i did it on mine last year... I used the Duplicolor anodized paint as mentioned before but laid it on top of wet clear and heavily coated clear over it so it flowed out like glass and is easily cleanable since I drive mine and btw the blue lights up white like an HID!

28. Future Stock

Future Stock

Many blue headlights in Sox & Martin racecars from the 60's-70's.

29. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Pulled the bulb out of my motorcycle light, poured in some yellow food coloring, swirled it around and let dry. That was a year ago, and its still looking good. Not a deep yellow like an amber lens, but definitely tinted.

30. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

Your local motorcycle shop will have what you need in any color. Headlight film for the crotch rockets.
    [​IMG]