Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sectioned Shoebox Ford ..... Car? Builder? Owner? Details?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nicks Hot Rod Garage, May 24, 2009.

1. I'm considering Sectioning my 1949 Ford Shoebox, and would like to get an idea of how much to cut, 3", 4", 5", 6" ?

Here are a few pictures of Shoe Box Fords that I have collected over the years. These particular cars are my favorites. I'm curious how much they have been sectioned. Some clearly look better then others!

Here they are:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one is probably my favorite style (yes, i flipped the picture)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think this one is a channel and not a section, cant really tell (my eyes are blinded by the hot pink).
    [​IMG]

2. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And a rear view of the same cars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Excellent headlights on the fender trim!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  3. OK!
    So I could not wait, I've started cutting planning a 4" section. I really like the stance and proportions of the Gold Car. It may be sectioned more then 4".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The outer quarter panel is loose from the inner structure. I planned on lowering the back and trimming later.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HOW in the HELL do you get this shit off the car?! What a mess.
    [​IMG]

The forecast called for rain this weekend. since I've been working on this outside the garage on the driveway, I decided to buy an army canvas tarp, 20'x14'. It makes a great extension to the garage!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. 00 MACK

00 MACK

I aint into no sectioned boxes but I do know that Dean Bordeners car looked best when Dean Bordener had it.

5. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Keep us posted on your progress...oh, and a little torch heat and a chisel will scrape that shit right off.

6. Greezy

Greezy

Mike are you planning on taking some out of the top too? To me most of them are out of proportion with the tall turret. That 3rd black one looks the best, to me at least. But the winshield I think would lok a bit better if it was cut about an inch or so higher into the roof.

7. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good call, words of automotive wisdom! If you can fit cut the top otherwise they look wrong.
    Doc.

8. 62rebel

62rebel

this is one of the FEW cars that can get sectioned without a chop and still look good. love ALL those examples, though, except maybe that pickup.... but every one of them had something going for it. i miss my '51 SOOO MUUUCH now.....

9. some of those look hideous looking,are you planning on leaving the bumpers??
    you got your hands full can't wait to see in done,good luck!

10. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Very interesting project, and you are taking on a big job. Would be great if you could post photos as you go. Good luck!

11. i think bob bleed at one time owned the gold one...

12. 62rebel

62rebel

it's a big job but Ford made it a little easier by putting in so much straight area to cut away... still a job regardless. please put up pics of the progress.... love to see it done step by step. is that an Olds engine in there? be so cool to have a Rocket in it.

i think one of the things that works on shoeboxes is a light colored interior to offset the small size. contrasting panels in the seats, but white or ivory overall color seems to open the interior up and make up for small windows. just my 2 cents and interpretation of what i seen.

more pics!

13. titus

titus

heres mine that im working on.

jeff

Attached Files:

14. Ah.......thanks(?) 00 MACK

Greezy - Call me out there, one of the things l like about a sectioned "Coupe" is when the top is not chopped. (some of the pics are sedans).
    It seems to me if the section is "moderate" 3, 4 inches it still looks good without the chop. Once they get nutty on the section 6+ inches it starts to look like a Jetsons space craft.

No Shit!? is that the one in Mad Fab 2 or 3 (can't remember)

Actually it is getting a 1962 389 Pontiac with 4 speed hydro, might eventually put the stock 3 speed OD behind the 389.

Jeff - How much of a Section is this? 4, 5, inches? Looks great!

15. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

billetproof fla '09 . I'd like to know more, my show favorite!
    [​IMG]

16. No Shit!? is that the one in Mad Fab 2 or 3 (can't remember)

i can't remember which one, my buddy has my vids right now... one suggestion? when I need really clean straight cuts with a cut-off wheel, I run tape along each side of the cut line leaving a tiny gap between the two pieces...helps the eye, and also does a great job as a "fence" for the wheel to stay inside.

17. I watched mad fab 2 last night, had the episode on Bob Bleed's sectioned '50 ford. It is a different car then the gold one. Not the same car.
    Lamb said he thought it was sectioned 4", Bob said it is sectioned 6".

I took these off of the TV, not the best pics, but here is the car Bleed has.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. You made the right decision with 4". Please, no fins!

19. The guy that owns that car now is in New York somewhere. He comes to the Rumblers NYC show every year. Here's a shot of it from last year.

Attached Files:

20. buster6972

buster6972
    from Florida

It's not a coupe but it is one of my favorite sectioned shoeboxes

Attached Files:

21. koolkemp

koolkemp

There have been a few magazine articles on this one in the last couple of years...I love it, especially the dash and the striking color combo,it is an old Custom from wayback that was reworked(for the better IMHO) by the current owner. I would also love to see one sectioned only 2" lotta work for only 2" but I think it would look great with a good chop as well. Anyone ever seen a sectioned 4 door???

22. sho1off

sho1off
    from Buffalo MN

use to be my 49 ford coupe 6" chop 4" section now owned by some "clown" out in Las vegas

Attached Files:

23. Rikster

Rikster

I think this is a four door....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. S.F.

S.F.

An old timer friend of mine told me he rememberes seeing a guy section a shoebox ford in the front yard of his house in 1955. He said that he tied the top half of the body to the tree, cut it apart with the front fenders and doors still on it, and torch welded it back together with coat hangers. He said that he remembers that it actually turned out really nice. Now that is hard core.

25. Ok, so here are the teaser pics.............4"

I'll post the leading up to pics tomorrow.
    All in all I think it was pretty easy so far. With that being said, I have not done the doors or trunk yet!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Rikster, the pics you posted are of a 4-door 51 built by Ted Baxter in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. We think the car still exists, but it hasn't been seen for years. Ted is no longer with us. Pat.

27. NoSurf

NoSurf

Get 'er done Mikey!!!!

28. I radius'd the rear wheel openings...
    [​IMG]

I learned this cool trick somewhere (probably the HAMB) two welding rods, a small hose, and a magic marker:
    [​IMG]

Create a slice in the hose for one of the rods, slide the other through the hose:
    [​IMG]

Tape the marker on...
    [​IMG]

I used a jack stand to steady it.......rotate the contraption
    [​IMG]

If you slide the vertical rod up, you can make a larger radius...
    [​IMG]

29. I decided to drill the holes in the quarters to match the trim holes and run bolts in them to hold it in place until final welding and fitting takes place.
    [​IMG]

So it's on to the DOORS!
    The drivers door had a pretty large gouge in it, I figured why not section it out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The inside of the door came apart like this....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time to hang and fit the door...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Need to trim the 4" off this little piece, marked the line ...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. Now fit the bottom part of the door, I bolted it up (after running a tap through all the holes), made a few adjustments (hammer and prybar...lol). I raised the lower part of the door to line up with the lower quarter and clamped. Tacked the inside and the outside to check fit. As off now, the door sags a bit when it opens, I plan to untack it and raise it up before I weld it, should line everything back up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For all the Traditional Sticklers (NoSurf) the next two pics might hurt your eyes!! Gotta Love Side Pipes!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]