Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T ??? Is Hobart welders the same as Miller ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuce Roadster, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I was talking with a fellow today about buying a Hobart welder ( MIG ) and he said that the Hobart was REALLY a Miller.

Same company / Same welder ... just a different name on the outside ...

Does anyone know if this is true.
    I have a Hobart plasma cutter ... and it works nice :)

Thanks

Randy

2. Open the side hood on each, take note of what's inside.

Compare the welding head and cable etc.

Miller's are sold at welding supply houses.
    Some servicing can be done there and they can also send it in if you have probs.

I don't know if Hobart's are sold at welding supply houses, the ones I see are at discount stores etc.

It would be interesting if they are the same.

Dunno how big you're going, but I've done well with my Miller 135 - built the 31 roadsters Deuce frame with it.

Looking back, the 175 Miller would have been a little better, but you need 240V for those.
    Close to the same price though.

I note that a lot of guys here on the HAMB are doing well with Hobarts.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  3. enginebloch

enginebloch
    from norfolk va

Hobart welders are the same as Miller, only they are a generation or two older technology than the new Millers.

I learned this recently at my local welding supply.

4. LongT

LongT

5. tinmann

tinmann

A good buddy of mine is a tradesman welder. He owns a Hobart. When we worked on his truck at my place he got real comfortable with my Miller. He said there's no comparison between the two. I like my Miller too.

6. river1

river1

as far as i know they are made on the same assembly line. it's similar to what GM does where they make chevy, pontiac and buick on the same line. there are differences but the base machines are the same.

later jim

7. RichG

RichG

8. Barn Owl

Barn Owl

Hobart was bought by Miller and there seems to be some quality differences between the Hobart that was competing with Miller and the Hobart run by Miller. As the old capitalist saying goes if you can't beat 'em, buy 'em. So now the hobart welders are just a step below miller IMO. I have a small Hobart handler 120 that I purchased before the buy out, I have used it for over a decade and I love it for small stuff, has never let me down. Comparitively I had the same sized Miller for about three hours before I took it back because the drive system sucked, It wouldn't feed strong, I could reach in and stop the drive wheels with my (gloved) hand.

9. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

I have a friend who works there..........
    Hobart has a few more cheesier parts, but they are both done on the same line....

10. abone1930

abone1930

Ive had a Hobart for 5yrs, been a good machine, only changed the lead once.Would buy from again. My supply company sells both. You can buy replacement parts for both too.

11. 66 Shorty

66 Shorty

Well said! When I went to buy a welder I talked to the guy there about the differences. There were a few "cheesier" parts used. Liek the Plastic on the drive unit in the Hobart versus the cast metal drive unit in the MIller. Plus, the Miller uses a Rheostat controll, where Hobart uses a stepped switch. You only get 4 settings with Hobart & the Miller has a variable switch w/o "clicking" in to one setting. (<~~IDK if any of that makes sence, but at least I know what I'm talkin about... LOL!) I ended up buying the Hobart (Handler 140) for Hundreds less & can weld anything the compairable Miller will. I'm impressed with it. I haven't used other welders other than a POS Harbour Freight Flux-core welder though.

12. Jonesey

Jonesey

I also spoke with someone who works for Miller Electric and he told me pretty much the same thing. The Hobart line is made with a few more plastic parts for non daily use.

I like their Handler 210, it has a lot of power in a small package. Good price too. I doubt there is too much difference in their plasma cutters and you can tell. They are about the same exact price as the comparable Miller.

13. hotrod4papa

hotrod4papa
    from Oklahoma

I owned a Hobart that was built before Miller bought them out. I later bought a Miller, and was told at the time that Miller was using the Hobart as their second line (Cheaper) of machine and had not changed the basic machine design. The Miller is better at lower settings; Hobart loves heavier metal and higher settings. Both have been great machines.

14. Crankhole

Crankhole

Is there any way to modify the Hobart to make it "variable" like the Miller units?

15. 66 Shorty

66 Shorty

I'm not sure... I asked the guy at the store, he said "it might just be replacing the whole knob & potentiometer". But, he wasn't sure. I talked to another guy (not selling welders) He knows electronics & such. He told me it's more to it than just replacing those parts. I didn't get deep into it with him though.

16. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for all the replies and PM's ...

A Hobart would most likely be good enough for my poor welding skills but I really like the MILLER ... :)

Might go ahead and get a Miller 211 ...

:D

17. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Randy----Always go with the miller or lincoln, hobart is rated 3rd place in my experience of welding since 1951-------Don

18. Oilfield welders here in Bako prefer Millers for field work and Hobarts for the shops. Just what I have seen. I prefer Millers and have always. I have used both extensively and millers are nice machines for the money. Millers seem pretty rugged and I have a buddy who has some Millers from the 70's he still uses almost daily that he can go down to the supply house and get a part for immediately to replace. Hobart did get bought out by Miller sometime ago and there has been many threads already on the subject also along with country of origin they are being built in now.-Weeks

19. kevinc

kevinc
    from highland

i have a hobart 140,its a 110v machine with shielding gas had it about 5 years now. the gun says miller on it, its a good machine i havent had any problems with it and it gets quite a bit of use, i like it for sheetmetal since the gun is a little smaller than the 220v machines so you can get into smaller areas and what not. .02

20. raaf

raaf

i have a hobart 175 and yes, this is true. it was an issue at first because to get any fine tuning around power you need to fiddle with wire speed a little. ...but in general you'd be tuning this as well on any machine. so in the end i can't say that's it's been a real problem. or maybe i'm just rationalizing.

anyway - it's been a terrific and reliable machine. i can also confirm that the gun is miller. i bought mine used at a fraction of the cost new and haven't looked back.

21. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe you're incorrect and I'll bet the welding store wasn't selling Hobart, right? :rolleyes:

I'll stack my HH187 against any welder in it's class for having current technology and perhaps even a bit more advanced than some.

22. This years models from Hobart have a lot more features. I bought a Hobart 187, it has 7 heat ranges vs. the older ones 5. Paid just under $600 for a retail that was to be in the 8's. I have welded everything from cheap tubing to 20g to 1/4 and 1/2" with it so far and am IMPRESSED. This is the first Hobart in the lineup that is 220. It is as adjustable and powerfull IMHO as the Miller 225's I learned on even though they were bigger machines. No issues and Hobart has good support, my welding shop carries parts etc.......go for it DR!

Tagman, just read your comment. I agree ^^^^^^^^^^^