Register now to get rid of these ads!

How Much Does Interior Cost These Days?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigdaddy, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy
    BANNED

It has been sometime since I have had any interior done... got a buddy who is getting a 1951 Chevy Coupe that needs interior has front and back seat needs covering.

Thanks in Advance,

Bigdaddy

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  2. RustyRedRam

RustyRedRam

figure a couple grand.

3. Special Ed

Special Ed

I just got a car back from the trim shop. $2600.00. 1955 Chevy delray, carpets (including trunk), door panels, front and rear bench seats, headliner, armrests, spare tire cover, visors, etc.

4. Brandi

Brandi

Just front and back seat coverings? Assuming that it needs coverings only we'd charge around $800. Add foam or dealing with blasting/re-painted the springs, it could go up from there.

5. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy
    BANNED

I would say it has springs front and back needs door panels headliner carpet etc etc etc

6. Brandi

Brandi

Ahh... yeah, anywhere from $2,500 - 3,000 depending on how involved it gets.

7. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Hey John! There's a place in north hollywood where i got everything done in my old Galaxie , they did a pretty good job , carpet , headliner, door panels, package tray, bucket seats and rear seat for 1100$. somebody else has the car now and it till looks good. RAGS TO RICHES in north hollywood. 10 days turn around. It ain't no Fat Lucky's but for the price!!

Ian

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Interior , like exterior, prices are all over the place. Shop that does big name cars to guy starting out in his home garage. You live in an area where you should find what you want for the price your buddy can pay. Ask around locally, surf the net, put ad in wanted section here. He needs to know what level of car he wants to end up with-driver or show.

9. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy
    BANNED

that is what I told him there is an ass for every seat....someone may tell you $1200 and another may tell you 7,000...

10. truckedup 28

truckedup 28

11. lownslow

lownslow

yup we had them do my wife's 64 t-bird too . really reasonable and easy to deal with . they did her car in 2days . but they had enough dudes to throw on it at that time . usually about a week or so . i was impressed about the works especially for the price .

12. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

tj:d

13. Special Ed

Special Ed

This sounds pretty reasonable.

Attached Files:

14. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

After hauling the seats from the wagon to a trimmer who'd told me he could work in between jobs, and then quoted me 50 hours @ 55$ per, I took 'em home and did them myself. OK, the seams aren't as straight, but it did take me 50 hours, and I don't know what I'm doing...

Not that I thought the hourly was too much, I just assumed that it was about a day and a half worth of work for somebody who knew what he was doing. :D

Brian

15. pacemaker

pacemaker

Mine was $2500 top to bottom/side to side

Attached Files:

16. zedsdead56

zedsdead56
    from new jersey

paying $1000 for front, rear bench, driver and passenger backrest, door panels for my 56 buick

17. 52style

52style

ive gotten some really nice work done for peanuts in tijauna

if you feel like making a trip south of the border

thell have that shit done in hours and looking good

nevermind the fun you have watching 20 of em working on your car at the same time

18. Muttley

Muttley

I just had the front seat front/rear door panels done for $425, that included re-stuffing the seat and new panels being made.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. gillgonzalez

gillgonzalez
    from San Diego

Everytime this topic comes up i crack up. Guys, there are HUGE differences in a $1200.00 interior and a high end interior. A well designed, fabricated and upholstered interior is a lot more work than recovering a stock interior. Even more so in a car that has been modified, example- chopped, channeled, tunneled etc. Not to mention material choices, leather vs. vinyl, wood panels vs. PVC or ABS etc. Or custom headliner vs. stock, Stock fabrics ($$) vs. vinyl. Custom carpets with custom floor mats vs. sewn carpets with a plastic heelpad installed or no heelpad at all!. Tuck n Roll vs. sewn pleats. Bolsters vs. flat covers.

Ive personally seen guys with horrible interiors that are in 7th heaven with the look and quality of their interior and guys that get lower budget interiors and are pissed with the quality and craftsmanship.

Bottom line is to investigate the look and quality of the shop and get the best designed and crafted interior that you can afford and be happy with.
    But honestly, a really nice interior isnt gonna cost $1200.00.

20. Ditto. I'm in to my interior for $14,000. Ya, I coulda done it for $500..... but It wouldn't be something I would be happy with.

21. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

I had mine done at Bon A Rues at Katella and Main right behind Stan Betz' store.
    See Tito up there. I think he's fair priced and I like the work.
    Ron

22. Algon

Algon

That's the funny thing about doing upholstery work, the same guy who laid out ten grand for a barely above average prep and paint job will look you square in the eye and tell you the pearl white leather top to bottom pleated guts he wants should cost a grand installed.

As Gillgonzales was saying there is a real difference, from shop to shop on what you get for the money and what you should realistically expect for the price. Not every shop offers the same thing , some skimp on quality to offer more flash for the buck and others stick to the basics. My best advice would be to not only shop around based on the quality you expect for the money but also look up the materials you are hoping to have used and figure your rough cost buy measuring out what is needed for your interior. This will give you an idea on any mark up and how much has been figured for labor if the shop owner doesn't break it down that way or fudging the numbers on you. Try for place doing the style of interior you are generally looking for in cars similar to your own. You'd be amazed how few shops can even hang a bow type headliner or pull off many of the old time interior tricks from the factories.

23. Algon

Algon

Not to hijack the thread but do you have any pictures of it?

24. Special Ed

Special Ed

Trim shops must be very busy. I tried to line up a complete custom interior for my own car, even bribing the shop owner with a running SBC motor to get me on his waiting list. Never heard back from him, after several months of waiting, I finally found a shop that needed my money. Go figure....

25. Bull

Bull

It all depends on how expensive your taste is. Vinyl, leather, suede . . . velour, tweed? My dad had the interior in his 50 done for $10k. It turned out fantastic and he got exactly what he wanted. His pockets are deeper than mine though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. vertible59

vertible59

Kinda funny how some guys will pay several grand for a paint job, then quibble about the price of a good trim job. That's the main reason I got outa the business.

27. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

I got my shoebox done for $650,a 65 impala convertable done for $700,a 54 caddy for 900 including trunk and dash ,a 64 impala station wagon for 1000. all headliners and trunks were done as well.All tuck and roll.all amazing quality so much so that i have people approaching me asking if the interior was a 4,000$ job....and yes all done in TJ..... no bullshit,just straight up hardcore upholstering done old school from a guy whos been doing it since 1960.

28. tobyjuarez

tobyjuarez

Get Roger Starkey to do it... He's in San Diego, and does some incredible work,, and he's a really good guy.
    http://rogerdstarkey.com/

Attached Files:

29. Haven't seen Tito since I moved to AZ 23 years ago, but when I was down in Orange he was the only guy I'd let touch my cars for trim work.
    Glad to know he's still around and doin well.

30. gillgonzalez

gillgonzalez
    from San Diego

Dude your getting really nice work for super cheap. If i didnt know a guy that does upholstery id be bringing my stuff to that shop also. Ive liked all the work that youve posted pics of.

Honestly though these prices should have an asterik by them.
    *all prices will be trippled if i move my shop to the United States and have to pay U.S. raw good prices and U.S. minimum labor wages, taxes, insurances, business fees and fuel costs. LOL

Im just saying that a State side business small or large cant compete with foreign based labor and goods cost. Your just lucky that you live so close that its economical to bring your projects down there.

On another note. Other things to consider also is the amount of fabrication necessary in each situation. If its a complete built or if your just recovering existing panels. If a guy has to fabricate and entire interior from scratch or recover existing panels. The difference in hours of fabrication alone can be astronomical! Speaker pod is removeable to access battery.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009