Register now to get rid of these ads!

Barn find----not ((1933 chrysler))

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 33mopower, Mar 9, 2009.

1. 33mopower

33mopower

What do you guys think of our recent acquisition. No firm plans yet but resto rod is the likely direction. Not sure on what motor to run.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kookee

kookee

It would be a shame to touch that car. No matter how you slice it, if it has remained in such a complete condition, it would be a sin to change it.

Beautiful car.

3. X2!!!!!!!
    no barret-jackson coined "resto-rod"

4. 33mopower

33mopower

Well actually its a "cheap" CO. The tail lights are wrong and its missing the spare tire covers but it is pretty complete. While the car would be pretty valuable restored it's not a imperial and could be worth as much or more as a traditional styled resto rod.

5. Wesley

Wesley

I would go for it. I can see it with bigs and littles, lowered, quick change, blown hemi with a 4 speed, chopped windshield and top. I would probably leave the fenders on, I might take them off to see what it would look like as a high boy

6. Ramblur

Ramblur

The Man in Black was fond of those Chryslers too although 31 vintage. I
    think he had a cabriolet too.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. kookee

kookee

Certainly it is your choice, and I respect that. I just happen to be of mindset that if a vehicle is that complete, in such good shape, etc. that it has earned staying original. It may not be a coachbuilt or rare model of the year, but how many do you see around? Not many..

I could not bring myself to do it.

Let me also say, while it may not have the "cool" look that you may perceive to be your current liking, you may kick yourself later, if/when your tastes change. I do not know of one person on this board that would not agree that it is cool as is.

Classy, clean, and complete.

I know I am green with envy. :D <- See!

Your choice in the end, but if you cut it, warn me so I don't see the pic's! :rolleyes:

8. Weasel

Weasel

If you have to do anything then this is a prime candidate for mild resto rod. A guy around here has a 1935 Auburn Cabriolet with Cadillac engine 3-2s, TH trans and front disc brakes. The car is on stock wheels with bias plies. It looks stock but purrs along very nicely.

A friend of mine had a 1938 Chevy cabriolet with 270 six, McGurk intake 5-97s and 200R4. An Aussie Chrysler Valiant hemi straight six with triple side drafts would also be a very different way to gently 'update' it and keep it Mopar.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  9. The term resto rod was coined back in the 70's when guys left the bodies stock,,probably by someone like Tex Smith. HRP

10. James427

James427
    BANNED

I agree. Leave it alone. It is a cool car as-is. The funky Cabriolet windshield frame pretty much preclude it from being "sleek" and making a slick rod, so why not leave the old girl alone.

11. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Yep- what he said!

12. Go get a 360 Magnum and overdrive trans out of Dodge Pickup or Van, put an 8 3/4 rear in with 10" drums, disc brakes on the front,, rewire it and drive the bag off it.

When you get tired of that combo, there is a LOT left in the 360, easily 400 hp and still very streetable.

Just my $.02

13. Or, one of these would be cool,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Leave it alone. It's cool just the way it is.

15. keeffer

keeffer

yea what he said

16. Throw those cheesy sidemount covers in the trash and drive it. No need to mess with a car this nice.

17. WHAT? What a pile of crap!
    Seriously? OK. Leave it alone.

18. titus

titus

cut it up!! nothings to good to cut up!

JEFF

19. small block chry V8,auto,upgrade brakes HAVE Fun

20. alsancle

alsancle

It's your car so you can cut it if you want but that would be a shame.

- as stated previously, dump the tire covers.
    - same with the whitewalls
    - enjoy as is.

Restoring it would be a mistake but don't use that as an excuse to cut it up.

21. 33mopower

My uncle (who I hold responsible for getting me into rods) is building his third 33 Chrysler Cabriolet rod and has also built 2 33 Chrysler Royal Eight sedans. But, the cabriolets seem to leave almost as fast as he builds them. Let's just say he seems to get offers he just can't refuse. All the cars he started with were very rough, incomplete, and rusty. He's had parts cars and collected enough spare pieces to keep building them. The cariolet he is working on now is the same car you have I believe-shorter six cylinder car. He's lengthening to the eight wheel base with the longer hood and frame. He's made this change before with great success. I don't have a good picture of any of these but below is the previous cabriolet just before he sold it. Not HAMB friendly cars but awsome automobiles just the same and no easter egg colors.

22. Please leave it original. Not every old car needs to be hacked, wacked and modified.

23. Uptown83

Uptown83

Neat car... would be a shame to cut up.

24. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

I would say...

Sell it to a MoPaR restore'r/collector and BUY another car to chop up.

They are stock Only Once & these old Chryslers are BIG CARS !

25. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Insanely cool car you got there.

If you're gonna cut it up please go to great lengths to use chrysler parts and keep it's DNA intact. That's what makes it so cool, it's non fordness and top of the line moparness.

I have a 29 chrysler hot rod that started as a pile of body panels. After a couple years seeing how much solid original parts sell for, and what complete cars sell for.......I'm having a hard time believing cutting up that car is smart money, even if you got a hell of a deal on it. The amount of wood involved with my car meant that the simplest structural upgrade or body modification results in throwing away 50% of the car. Now you're talking resto rod, so you're shedding the entire original driveline and probably a good chunk of suspension too.

Something seems sacreligious about starting with that car and only using 350 lbs of original parts. That may not be the plan, but I bet it's the end result.

Good luck with the project either way, it's gonna be neat

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  26. Eldorado Rodder

Eldorado Rodder

my vote; LEAVE IT ALONE!
    You just don't find nice droptops like that anymore, it's a classic and once you take an axe to it, it wont be.
    If you gotta take your sawzall to something go finda car that needs to be resurected anyway, not a finished classic.

But last time I checked, for now, it's still a free country.

27. I'd lower it in the front just a little and look for some front fenders w/o the side mounts. If it runs good and stops good I'd drive it just like it is mechanically.

28. Elrod

Elrod

Wow! That's a neat cabriolet. Sell it to a restorer and get a brookville 32 roadster!

29. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

That is a gorgeous car, please don't cut it up. Update the drivetrain and brakes, lower it a bit, and drive it!

30. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast