Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot rod black paint job

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bodymanmp, Feb 24, 2009.

1. bodymanmp

bodymanmp

Just painted my 37 with kirker hot rod black,sheen looks good but the paint job is streaky,is this the way its suppose to look or what? I have a good paint gun,nice pattern,do i need to fog this paint last coat ???

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

pictures?

we dont need no stinking pictures...

just messin with ya..
    throw up some pictures of it, would like to see it

3. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Streaky = bad painting technique if all things are equal. No its not sposed to look like that.

4. I used the Kirker hot rod black without any problems,,,sounds like you need another coat or try a different spray pattern. HRP

[​IMG]

5. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

When you paint you should have about 8 to 12 inch fan hold the gun about 12 to 18 inches from the panel your painting. with a about 10 to 20 percent overlap this sounds about right. If you painted like this no streaks.

6. Fan? Gun? What about a good quality roller and brush?
    Sorry, to many beer after supper................

7. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

It's actually kinda challenging to get a good non-streak semi-gloss black paint job on a full body car. Anyone who says "GAY" (FNG below) has not tried it. I've painted plenty of glossy cars, and the one semi-gloss black car I tried to paint kicked my ass.

Spray it like you're spraying a metallic. Shoot a couple good wet coats, then have at it in a random cris-cross pattern. Keep it very random, but try not to spray it dry. Avoid spraying in uniform lines. Keep it wet.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  8. Flyinsolo71

Flyinsolo71
    from Austin

9. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Painted my roadster with Kirker Hotrod Black and had similar results, ended up sanding it off and repainting with some SH single stage urethane. Turned out better. Never did figure out why the Kirker didn't work.

10. The Shocker

The Shocker

Yes ,spraying it wet is the key .I have had better results with Blitz Black ,but i sprayed it very wet too .Like was said earlier its tough to keep satin black from looking streaky .Streakiest flat black i ever saw was one painted with hot rod black .I wasnt there when they shot it ,but im guessing it was dry ,mixed with a bad painting technique .I would just spray another coat or two wet and see what happens.Good luck with it ...

11. 55driver

55driver

My painter used the Kirker hotrod black I supplied, (his first time using it). He used 1 & 1/2 gal. on my 55 h.t.. It came out great!

12. The Shocker

The Shocker

Do you have a full size pic of your 55 ? I'd like to see one in suede if you dont mind posting one ,thanks ...

13. You have so much to offer to this thread,,,how did the Hamb ever manage to exist all this time without your thoughtful and indepth insight.:rolleyes: HRP

14. 55driver

55driver

15. henry29

henry29

This is kind of a strange place to be coming out of the closet.

16. The Shocker

The Shocker

17. The Shocker

The Shocker

Those types are coming out of the wood works nowdays ...

18. 31aBoy

31aBoy

The above information is completely false. (not to be rude)

Some pointers...

-Hold the gun perpendicular and at an equal distance from the surface you are spraying, around 6 to 10 inches.

-50% overlap. With clears I sometimes spray almost 75% overlap.

- To achieve an ideal or correct fan width, open fan adjustment completely out. Then pull trigger and start screwing the adjustment knob in. Just as you can see the pattern start coming together, stop. That is where you want it to be. Too Far out, and you will blow the center out of the pattern.

I spray around 7-8 cars a week.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  19. alumslot

alumslot

I had some strips on my car also hot rod flats black. I used Ice detail spray from turtle wax and it works wonders clearing it up. Also helps protect the finish. You might want to give try it.

20. Truckedup

Truckedup

I had the same problem recently using a urethane stain black.Lot of guys here gave me info,but the end result was my gun handling skills.What worked well for me in the past on glossy paint didn't work on the flat paint.The paint job is passable,but not what I expected.

21. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

I find the above dead on the money!

Shooting any semi or matt finish with anything less than a 50% or better overlap of your spray pattern will give you the dry pattern you're trying to avoid. Try keeping your pattern tight and wet.

Swankey Devils C.C.

" It's time for another Tea Party ! "

22. Rusty Kustoms

Rusty Kustoms

Keep it wet, do not criss cross, zig zag, mist a dry coat. You need to keep a very tight pattern to keep it wet. Not to be an ass but what is the big facination with flat paint, most people that have never painted try it and have less than great results. When did they paint cars flat or "suede" back in the day, how is it traditional, again not trying to be an ass just wondering why there are so many out there and why it is acceptable compared to other modifications, accessories, etc.

23. I can testify to the quality of 55drivers paint. I saw it a month ago and it looked great. (For some reason he was driving it in the snow!!!)

Anybody looking for a cheap flat alternative, I've been painting my beaters with $10 gallons of housepaint. It's a great way to clean up an ugly faded car, and has proven to be quite durable. you just have to watch the forecast for rain!

Attached Files:

24. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

It is a technique thing. I'd say maybe another good coat or two, there is some very good advice here. Overspray's videos are priceless for setting up your gun and shooting.

Thanks you sir....

There are stranger.

25. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

where can I find Oversprays vids?

26. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

Great advise here. I am about half way on my F1. Shooting Blitz Black for the first time. Some areas have come out decent others need some improvement. Hope that I learn something from this.

27. slysball

slysball

Spraying it wet and your reducer selection is key. I had two failed attempts before we got it right. The dry looking stripes and rough spots. I can live with the couple of small runs that I ended up with for the rest of the paint looking so nice.

28. The Shocker

The Shocker

Bingo ,dont feel bad i learned the hard way same as you did.I had several bad attempts before i figured out what was causing the dry streaks.I peronally think its harder to get semigloss to lay down even than gloss anyday .I had my best results spraying it when it was humid outside and about 65 degrees.The Blitz is real watery out of the can ,and i didnt thin it very much .I also added hardener to it and mixed it in a ratio bucket .Thats another mistake that people make with it in my opinion as well.They take it for granted being semi gloss and just eyeball how they mix it / thin it.I make sure i use exactly the same ratio of reducer and hardener from coat to coat.This one sat in direct Texas sun and weather for a year and still looked as nice as the day i sprayed it ...

Attached Files:

29. slysball

slysball

I had used the Dupont hot rod black in which they do not recommend hardly any thinning at all, I think something like 5%. We ended up by trial and error using way more thinner than that. Probably about 12 to 15% but with improved results.