Register now to get rid of these ads!

1957 Cadillac Dropped Spindles?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirt Diggler, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Dirt Diggler

Dirt Diggler

I was doing research for parts on getting my 57 Caddy to the ground only to find out some of the parts don't exist. I really want to lay frame but all the necessary things such as dropped spindles are nothing more than an urban legend. Or maybe I'm looking in the wrong places?

Do any of you Caddy Experts know if it exists or other places to get misc. parts from? The car is pretty complete and 90% rust free and I was able to find a lot of parts on ebay but I want the assurance of knowing a definite spot to get the things I need when I need them.

2. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

I don't know of anyone who makes dropped spindles for any older cadillac.

3. Dirt Diggler

Dirt Diggler

hmmm.... What are my best options on laying frame then? I know the back can be linked and notched but how would I go about doing the front without grafting another suspension on. Thanks in advance on anyone who can help me out.

4. timothale

timothale

is the caddy still a king pin susp.?/ could you turn the uprights over heat and bend them to get alignment like they do on other cars. ??

5. Dirt Diggler

Dirt Diggler

the car is at my brothers house so I can't get a good look at the suspension. but I'm almost 100% it's stock.

Here's progress of a person's 57 build.

http://www.donshotrodpage.net/Project-57/projectindex.html

Here's a pic of the knuckle. Don't know if much can be done here. But who knows, I'm tech illiterate.

[​IMG]

But if things get too complicated, we'll most likely just have the front normally bagged and 4 link and notch the rear so it can drag tail. That's the next best thing to having lay frame right? We're currently looking for shops to do it. So if anybody in the 209 area is interested, let me know.;)

6. bryan6902

bryan6902

Coil springs up front? Why don't you have a spring shop make some lowering springs?

7. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Cut the springs! might want to find some stiffer ones first, depending on how low you want

8. Dirt Diggler

Dirt Diggler

9. _charles_

_charles_
    from Tampa, Fl

10. _charles_

_charles_
    from Tampa, Fl

forgot to mention, I think Fatmans does some dropped spindles

11. 29 de soto

29 de soto

12. Dirt Diggler

Dirt Diggler

thanks bro! never knew this site existed. gonna register asap!

cool. gonna give them a call on monday.

that's your caddy innit? that thing is badass. any updated pics?

13. Cirilian

Cirilian

No dropped spindles for that year, they don't exist, same suspension from 57-60 btw. I've done several of them and you'll be surprised how low you can get them with a good bag job. They don't exactly lay but to me it's not worth all the extra headaches and $$ for an extra inch of drop. If $$ is no object check out toomeycustoms.com they did a 59 build where they fabricated new controls arms for it. Turned out really nice, I just don't know any of the specifics on it. You can do a disc brake conversion on these for next to nothing, as you've already seen on don's page. Scarebird on here also sells brackets and I got some that I'm putting together also. If it were me I'd go for the disc brake conversion and a well done bag job and call it a day!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. 29 de soto

29 de soto

yes the 55 is mine,i will be posting some interior pics soon.

15. garagedoreen

garagedoreen
    from LA,CA

thats a nice shock relocation bracket.

16. leaded

leaded
    from Norway

Somewhere on the web was some information about using spindels from a 79/81 (?),
    to a 60/61. The guy claimed this was just parts change. Hed then also got the discbrakes up front. Sorry, but dont remember where i read this.
    If it comes up again, i notify!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  17. Cirilian

Cirilian

The 61/62's can be upgraded by using later model (69) spindles but unfortunately the 57-60 front end is different than 61/62 and in either case, it doesn't do much for lowering the car.

18. garagedoreen

garagedoreen
    from LA,CA

what model 69 spindles?

19. Cirilian

Cirilian

All 69 models had front wheel discs so take your pic, just don't pick the front wheel drive eldo's, they are obviously a different set-up. Actually, any 67-69 disc set-up will work but all 69 models were disc, that's why I just say 69.