Register now to get rid of these ads!

edelbrock carb...adapter for buick intake?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kraz, Jan 3, 2009.

1. I,m back! With more questions.:D

I found a 55 buick 4bbl intake...this is good! (thanks to all the people who tracked me down with parts-much appreciated.) I am swapping out the original 2 bbl-long story.

Now I would LIKE to add a 600cfm Edelbrock carb to the vintage intake, but cannot find an adapter to save my life. I have called and written edelbrock but no luck.

The issue is the small bolt pattern on the 55 intake. If anyone has some insight send it my way!

Thanks again!:)

2. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

isnt what you need just a square bore/spread bore plate?

3. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

Make one. Hell you can do it with nothing more then a drill and a hacksaw if you have too.

4. I Googled "carb adapter" and this was the second link.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Mr.+Gasket/720/1932/10002/-1

1932 - Mr. Gasket Carburetor Adapter Kits

<TABLE width=600><TBODY><TR><TD>[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Increase your car's performance by updating to the latest high-performance carburetor without buying costly intake manifolds. These carb adapter kits install quickly and easily. Gaskets, studs, nuts and washers are included. Made of die cast aluminum.

</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle><FORM onsubmit="getElementById('AddtoCart').disabled = true;" action=/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/OrderItemAdd method=post><INPUT type=hidden value=10001 name=storeId> <INPUT type=hidden value=. name=orderId> <INPUT type=hidden value=-1 name=langId> <INPUT type=hidden value=10002 name=catalogId> <INPUT type=hidden value=/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/OrderCalculate?URL=%2fwebapp%2fwcs%2fstores%2fservlet%2fPostAddtoCart%3faddCatEntryId%3d11914 name=URL> <INPUT type=hidden value=11914 name=catEntryId> <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=itemBlockLTop></TD><TD class=itemBlockTop colSpan=4></TD><TD class=itemBlockRTop></TD></TR><TR><TD class=itemBlockLeft rowSpan=2></TD><TD class=itemBlock rowSpan=2>Mr. Gasket #720-1932

Any 4-bbl. carb to any 4-bbl.manifold except Holley 450 & OEM manifolds with exposed exhaust crossover tube, 3/4'' Thick

</TD><TD class=itemBlock align=middle width=30><INPUT maxLength=2 size=2 value=1 name=quantity> </TD><TD class=itemBlock align=middle width=80>$17.99
    Ships
    <SCRIPT type=text/javascript> if ('Monday' == 'Today'){ var d = new Date() var gmtHours = d.getTimezoneOffset()/60; if ((d.getHours() + gmtHours) >= 26 || (d.getHours() + gmtHours) <= 4){ document.write('Tomorrow'); } else{ document.write('Today'); } } else{ document.write('Monday'); } </SCRIPT>Monday </TD><TD class=itemBlock vAlign=center align=middle width=100><TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD><BUTTON class=addtocart id=AddtoCart onmouseover=AddtoCartMouseOver(this) title="Add 1932 - Mr. Gasket Carburetor Adapter Kits to Cart" onclick=AddtoCartWait(this); onmouseout=AddtoCartMouseOut(this) type=submit value=""> </BUTTON> </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=itemBlockRight rowSpan=2></TD></TR><TR><TD class=itemBlock vAlign=bottom colSpan=3><TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD></TD><TD vAlign=top></TD><TR></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=itemBlockLBottom></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></FORM></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009

5. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

vintagespeed.com----This place has just about everything for carbs , mult-carb intakes and adapters .

6. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

7. Yeah, I was just trying to demonstrate the power of the Google!

Kraz sounded desperate and this is really an easy to find fix. You were giving him a nudge in the right direction, I gave him a shove. :D

8. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

yes, yes you did.

we need to get together for beers some time dude. you're a bit of OK.

9. brokenspider322

brokenspider322

Check These guys out, Give em a call, take some measurements of the bolts on your intake. They'll let you know what you need, then you can order through Jegs. I got a 55 with a 322, 4 barrel. I also put a 600 cfm edelbrock performer on it. The adapter plate was the only thing that was gonna make it work. you may have to make a few modifications on the plate to make it sit but it'll work.

www.tdperformance.com/

Attached Files:

10. Funny...been google-ing quite a bit!:D

Already tried three different carb adapters with no luck...2 mr gasket and one edelbrock....been humping the intake around.

Now...just checked the Trans Dapt web site...Why didn't I think of this! I think they will get a call from me in the morning-looks like have what the doctor ordered!

I will post the part number, etc, for the mounting for all you buick guys out there.;)

11. Q...nice, just saw the ROLLINS quote...seen him a few times-good stuff.

Sorry not car related...

12. George

George

The Edelbrocks are drilled for both bolt patterns. On the '55 Hemi all that has to be done is open up the bore holes a bit, or is this one spread bore?:confused:

13. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

im dyin to know what intake this is. cause, a mr gasket plate should work just fine

14. My 455 Buick Edelbrock Performer intake came with a thin adapter.
    Perhaps 16 gage or so.
    (16 gage = .060.)

I wonder if one of those would work?
    Oughta be a few of them kicking around, I used a 1" spacer plate on mine and set the thin adapter aside.

15. Phil1934

Phil1934

Should be a WCFB

16. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

when i put the edlebrock carb on my stock 455 intake, i used the mr gasket adapter... the TA performance single plane im running now has bolt holes for both the square and spreadbore patterns, but i kept the mr gasket plate on it anyhow...

17. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

I used an adapter from Showcars in MN. to mount a 500 Edelbrock on my Studebaker's WCFB manifold. It's more expensive but it is made for the exact same swap on a Chevy 348 and the throttle bores are tapered to smoothly transition the carb venturi to the throttle bores of the WCFB manifold instead of being cut or cast oversize to overlap the carb and intake throttle bores and it's made of aluminum too not cheap diecast like many of the "universal" adapters. A minor detail to many people I'm sure but it's a quality piece, I'd spend the money again.

18. piche582

piche582
    from Sonora, Ca

I had to buy a transdapt one and took it to my buddy's shop and we had to drill the holes for the WCFB manifold (they were partially their, just had to finish punching them through). The adapter came with screws & what not to screw in into the WCFB carb holes and special nuts that went on the bottom of the carb studs & held them in place so you could bolt the Squarbore carb on.

19. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

As far as I can tell, this is the only post that deals specifically with the different bore spacing of the WCFB intake. I've seen an adapter somewhere that had a 4-hole Holley or Carter-style hole spacing on top, the smaller WCFB hole spacing on the bottom, and the bores angled to smoothly transition. The one Rudebaker described sounds just like it.
    Glad to know, because I'll be needing one too for a Buick project.

-Brad

20. Whether or not you use an adapter, I'd do some porting on the intake, enlarge the holes so there is no reduction in size from the throttle plates, and while you are there go ahead and smooth out some of the casting flash and roughness, at least what you can reach. There's no advantage in putting a slightly larger carb on it if it can't breath.

21. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Speedway sells the WCFB-Modern 4-bbl adapter:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Flathead-Carburetor-Adapters,5551.html

As mentioned, your Edelbrock carb should have both bolt patterns, so it's really a matter of opening up the holes in the intake to accept the Edelbrock carb. Use a modern 4-bbl gasket as a template and get a die-grinder and have some fun.

22. ...solved...trans dapt part number 2064! (thanks fellow 322)

Parts in the mail so I will confirm install later!:D

New (old) intake has been cleaned, wire wheeled, and painted! (black boogies are always nice..note to self...get a respirator.)

Also this week I added an alternator using existing generator brackets...now I can go stock or use the alternator for reliability sake.

It will certainly be great to hear the ol' buick fire back up again...working in 15 degree weather is not most ideal, but the thought of getting this thing back on the road keeps me warm...except for the feet.

Nyquill is kickin' in so I am kickin' off. Thanks folks....