Register now to get rid of these ads!

anyone know this history on this image?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yblockhead, Jan 2, 2009.

1. yblockhead

yblockhead

its going on the back of my '41 tudor.....be interesting to know where it came from.

your humble srvt,
    yblockhead

Attached Files:

2. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

I think it was nose art on a WWII bomber. May not be where it originated though.

3. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

I have had my Avatar decal since 1958 don't know when Lady Luck originated though.

Humble SRVT I'm going to take a big guess and say Living History is also a past time of yours as well

4. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

i think it originated in the 50s as a good luck mascot for race car drivers

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

There were 17 different B-17 bombers with that name, sorry I don't have any photos. Three Lady Luck II, and one Lady Luck III, guess the first one or two weren't.

6. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

7. yblockhead

yblockhead

yeah, that image is all over google images.. if you look at the one i posted, its got a little squiggle that looks like somebodies signature, but i cant read it at all....

bummer.

your humble srvt.,
    yblockhead

8. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

The idea has been around for...shall we say for a little while...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortuna

But yes I wonder just exactly where that particular image came from myself.

9. I recall seeing it at the Oval tracks when I was 8, so that's at least 50 years ago.

10. Google "Lady Luck nose art" and select Images to get a bunch of WWII bombers named Lady Luck.

The first picture here looks a bit like your girl. It is from B-17G-70-DL---- 44-6964, "Lady Luck", 91st Bomb Group / 322nd Bomb Squadron

[​IMG]

This one looks even more like her. It was on B-24 Serial # B-24J-CO named "LADY LUCK II"
    [​IMG]

Another that looks like your image.... This aircraft belonged to the commander of VPB-111 in late 1944 whilst Lt. Cdr. J.V. Barry was the 'PPC'. The PBY4-1 also carried the AAF serial 44-41279. It flew for the first time on July 1944, and was delivered to the Navy eight days later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  11. RichG

RichG

[​IMG]

This image is from the site http://www.historysaver.com/noseart/b24.html

to quote: "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This aircraft belonged to the commander of VPB-111 in late 1944 whilst Lt. Cdr. J.V. Barry was the 'PPC'. The PBY4-1 also carried the AAF serial 44-41279. It flew for the first time on July 1944, and was delivered to the Navy eight days later."[/FONT]

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

George Barris drew it.:D

13. HATED1

HATED1

i have that same decal and i also have it tattooed on my arm minus the dice in the skulls eyes. a friend found a whole box full of decals in an old closed down auto parts store in atlanta about ten years ago. they were all fifties vitage decals. cool to see someone else with one....

14. yblockhead

yblockhead

That specific image had to be pretty well known in '43 or '44 then....
    Its on the Ed Roth clothing page, but that looks like a redo of the original image.
    Mooneyes USA has the sticker , too.....

hmmm

15. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

my decal was purchased at Waterford Speedbowl in Waterford Ct. I'm pretty sure the summer of 58 I know i was 5 and I had to spend my allowance for 2 weeks which totalled 1$ I wanted that decal BAD it's a little worn but is in a photo Album and has never been app0lied to anything.It's packed right now but the decal company logo has a little Imp cartoon face.

16. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

I agree for that many planes to have almost the same image it had to be well known before the war.I wonder how many tanks carried that image as well

17. The question remains...did the Air Force guys pick it up from the pre-war racers OR did post war racers bring it home from WWII?

My gut feeling it was around before WWII

18. Muttley

Muttley

The company is named Impko.

[​IMG]

19. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Thought it started out as Tattoo flash ,,Sailor Jerry or something like that

20. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

i had the curse of lady luck. put the sticker on one of my rides and the water pump went out, the second pump was no good from the box, and while i was replacing the 2nd pump i got a call from a place i had been given a job and they said they didnt need me anymore.

left the sticker on though,...just weird it all happened the day the sticker went on.

i got mine at either March Meet or GG Pleasanton.

21. yblockhead

yblockhead

22. ptabakaru

ptabakaru

Here is a cool link if you want to hear a B17 (nothing in the world has that sound)
    the Memphis Belle would sometimes do a fly over our house when she used to fly from CT to Nashua NH. You could hear her coming and know just what it was.:D

23. Da Injun

Da Injun

That's the name on the ones I have.

24. I've got a real-life version of that sticker,hahaha....

[​IMG]

25. pastlane

pastlane

It started as nose art like others here have said. IMPKO (imprint art product company I believe) made them as water decals starting in the early to mid 60's. Spot Enterprises made felt patches as far back as the late 50's. Back in the late 70's/early 80's I reproduced them as a sticker. Now everyone is making them (the first image in this thread is a T-shirt transfer from JFP International). I still have a lot of original waterslides in many different sizes & styles, 3 different stickers and some embroidered patches as well. All stuff left over from the glory days of Past Lane Auto.

I'm working on cleaning out the back room, doing inventory. Getting ready for a major sale of all the posters, original & repro decals, patches and other crap I used to offer through the catalog.

26. spooler41

spooler41

When I was a young one,1952 I was11,I had a 1944 Pesco calender , each page had a different piece of WW2 nose art. Lady Luck was one of my favorites, each was tied to a group & squadron. I've searched for a copy of that thing for 50 years and haven't found another one.

.........Jack

27. Marcy

Marcy

Definitely around before nose art. Earliest decal I have seen was copyrighted in 1939

Marcy

28. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really wish I could recall all the details, but in my passion for WWII aircraft I read a story about an aircraft that was believed to be the first 'Lady Luck', all I remember is that an 'at the time' well known artist did the design for the bomber, it was the first 'Lady Luck' as we all know her now.
    The story may be in either the book, 'Cowboys of the sky' or 'Nose art of WWII', both bloody good books.
    Doc.

29. ptabakaru

ptabakaru

Sorry the link didn't take here it is again

http://www.soundboard.com/sb/B_17_Bomber_Sounds.aspx

30. ts086

ts086

I know where this "Lady Luck" came from, it was the nose art on my uncles B-24. The plane was part of the 8th Air Force, 2nd Air Division, 446th Bomb Group and stationed at Bungay Air Field, 3 miles SW of Bungay, England. Below are some pictures, my uncle is back row first on the left.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If you notice the original and the new deacal the whole thing is reversed, but it's the same gal
    [​IMG]

Below is the crew reunion sometime in the late 80's
    [​IMG]

I think it's nice that the plane live on .....on the side of "Hot Rods"