Register now to get rid of these ads!

Diesel fuel in my torpedo heater??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leadsled01, Dec 20, 2008.

1. leadsled01

leadsled01

My brother swears we can run diesel in my torpedo heater. Is this true? Just doesn't sit well with me.. Please educate me.

2. Porter Man

Porter Man
    Alliance Vendor
    from Mound, MN

You can run diesel in those heaters,I think it smells a little more.

3. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

my experience is that it will work, it will however smoke a little more, and produce noticeably more fumes. Diesel is much more oily than kerosene, remember that in a diesel motor, the fuel acts as an upper cylinder lube.

4. #1 proabbly would work close to kero and be pretty smoke free kero is best but not cheep 4.75 at co op, 2.89 at fleet farm

5. henry29

henry29

I run it in mine all the time, I dont notice it unless I'm right in front of it for a while.

6. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

little stinkier, but a cool byproduct is it burns way hotter, too. meaning You don't have to run it all damn day to stay comfortable. hour or two in the morning, hour or two after lunch and dress appropriately, and Your'e golden...brown.

after a week, You will have a noticably sore throat. here in Austin, it really only gets cold enough to run a torpedo a couple weeks out of the year, and typically, somehow, we always end up with that random 60-80 degree day here and there, so it's easy to recover from.

Hmmm...I wonder if a biodiesel fuel or greasel would work...worst byproduct there would be a constant craving for french fries....

7. Dirty2

Dirty2

I run 4 gal of diesel and 1 gal gas mix , runs cleaner . Been doing it for years .

8. super-six

super-six

I've tried diesel fuel and got a lot more fumes out of it. Kerosene and diesel fuel run about the same price around here at this time.

9. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

I used Diesel fuel in my home furnace for 5 years never had a smell.it was cheaper then kero but not anymore.

10. Lux I bet the biodiesel would work well.

11. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

right?
    I have 0 experience with the stuff other than understanding the theory.

is it any more cost effective?
    any potential inhalation risks that do or do not occur with Dino juice?
    do You have to add the "antifungal" to it if You store it like regular diesel?

12. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

i would be concerned about biodiesel "quality". check for purity, cloud point, gel point and parafin level.

regarding the diesel instead of kero, smoke and odor are the issue. Another issue is the gel point if it gets very cold. If you go to No. 1 to reduce the gel point, you may as well run kero as the price diff is not great. I might be inclined to try the diesel/gas mixture instead.

another option is to keep the shop warm with an electric heater so the fuel in the torpedo doesn't gel :)

13. Years ago we used Soydiesel in a construction project underground at the Eros Data center (govt). We ran our Bobcats on it as there were no nasty fumes. Prior to that the guys would run the 'cat then have to let the space air out before work could resume.

14. leadsled01

leadsled01

Thanks guys... My brother only buys gas from a station that doesnot sell kerosene, so he bought diesel instead. I just wasn't sure if it had some bad side effects or not.

15. Used to run it but, sore throats were to much to handle, doc said it was fron the sulfur in the desiel

16. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

wonder if this new ultra low sulfur diesel would be enough better to avoid the sore throat issue?

17. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Untill recently diesel was cheaper then kerosene around here,I paid about 4 dollars a gallon for kerosene a couple weeks ago but the other night I paid 2.99. I was thinking about using diesel but dont know now since kerosene is down some now,if it goes up I will use about 75 percent diesel and 25 kerosene and see how it does. Jeff

18. Probly! Because the stuff sucks as fuel for our trucks since they took the good shit out!

19. unclerichard

unclerichard
    from Michigan

Back when I used that type of heater, I only used kero because of the smell. #1 diesel was what I used in a pinch because thats what we have here in bulk, but I know I couldn't stand the fumes and smell. I have oil heat here in the house, but that is thru a furnace which furnace oil is closer to #2 diesel

20. toadfrog

toadfrog
    from Arkansas

The new Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel fuel does not stink or have the fumes as the #2 Diesel of old.... ran mine for several hours today.

Most of the newer heaters are Quad fuel, they work on Jet A, Kerosene, #1 & #2 Deisel.

21. Rusty Kustoms

Rusty Kustoms

whatever you use just make sure it is not Jet A, it smokes and smells worse than diesel, it will also give you a nasty headache

22. 3Mike6

3Mike6

I only run deisel in my my torpedo heater, no smell, stink, etc...well, I take that back, the only time it smells/etc, is when it runs out of fuel and belches some smoke, other than that it's just a good a Kerosene. I use Deisel since I buy some for "offroad" and save the taxes, plus, no one real close sells bulk Kero.

23. deal with that stuff, odds of buying Jet fuel from a jobber are slim.

24. VenturaMotors

VenturaMotors

Paid 5.99 per gallon for kerosene at Sunbelt Rentals in town.That will teach me not to ask the price! I think i will use the 114 octane i didnt use last summer.

25. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

What about replacing kerosene torpedo heater with a propane torpedo heater.Works a bunch better than that stinky old kero torpedo I had. Since I switched,headaches & sore throats are gone. Also more heat.

26. yup, i use 3 gal diesel, 2 gal gas. no headaches, no sore throat....

27. I have a Quad Fuel heater, I use Deisel only because its more convenient to get.

Got my heater last year...loving it...longer hours outside to work on the rides on those cold nights.

Sometimes I shut the garage door 3/4 down for air circulation...great T-shirt weather after a while.

28. Where are you guys getting Kerosene for reasonable prices?

Winter before last I bought 5 gallons in a sealed can at Home Despair $35.

Last winter they didn't have any.

This winter their web site shows $35. a can.

At least you get a good drain oil can out of the deal.

I've been economizing with my kero turbine heater by using it to take the chill off the garage/shop.
    Starting it at the big door, pointed outside and letting the glow plate - or whatever it is - come up to temp before pointing it inside and closing the big door about 3/4 does the trick.

About 15-30 minutes of running takes the chill off and the double reflector propane heater gets fired, set on low with both reflector/burners going and pointed at the work area does pretty good.

Might take longer to heat up the garage this morning, overnight lows the last couple of nights were in the mid-20's and this morning 30 degrees F.

Garage was 27 inside yesterday morning.
    Ya think the beer will freeze?