Register now to get rid of these ads!

History We Need Some Help - Poster Trivia!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Paul

Paul
    Editor

there must have been more pictures on that roll,
    do you have access to them?

they might hold additional clues..

3. pro1street

pro1street

After doing a google search I came up with this link that says it was 1954 if you scroll down to page 149 You will see the info.:http://books.google.com/books?id=pm...X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result#PPA148,M1

4. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Why not simply call Kenz & Leslie here in Denver...??? Ron Leslie would prolly be glad to answer any questions you, or RJ, might have...

R-

5. There are no flaps ahead of the rear wheels, so I'm guessin' 1953...

[​IMG]

6. I may see Ron Leslie at a Christmas party tomorrow. I'll take this photo with me. I have a friend in our Saturday morning geezers club that recently got the original 47 (48?) F1 push/shop truck that Kenz and Leslie used. It's been rebuilt and still has the original painted steel signs for K&L.

7. Pscott

Pscott

8. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

could it be a staged shot (not at an actual event) for the magazine, I am sure there were not alot of spectators back then at these events, but there is nothing in the background, no other racers.

9. pro1street

pro1street

But if you look at the picture below this one You will see the car with no flaps with the same car pictured behind it that is on the poster and it says 1954.

10. I was looking at these photos of the Kenz & Leslie #777 'liner taken at the 1954 Bonneville National Speed Trials:

[​IMG]
    1954 photo by J R Eyerman - "Bonneville Hot Rod Meet"

[​IMG]
    1954 photo by J R Eyerman - "Bonneville Hot Rod Meet"

[​IMG]
    BONNEVILLE 1954 - R. L. Hausdorf

[​IMG]

... and noticed that the strip of yellow tape on the front wheel arch is NOT visible in the "The Rodder's Journal 2008 B&W poster" photograph ... though this 1954 pic does show the crew working on that same wheel arch (sans yellow tape):

[​IMG]

... so perhaps the TRJ Poster image was a "staged photograph" taken at the beginning or ending of the 1954 event?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  11. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The photographer may be from one of the east coast mags such as Speed Age, Motorsport, or a Faucett publication.

12. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Hemi, that last b&w pictures looks to have some front wheel lip outline but i think the yellow might have been on the wheel covers..

13. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

Do you think that at sometime during the week that the tape may have been added to stop the wheel cover from popping out? Or, some such thing. Many cars do not appear at the end of the week as they did upon arrival.

DW

14. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

Tom, (or was it Louis?) Senter had a huge collection of dry lakes and Bonneville pictures. He has long passed away, but maybe someone who has been with Petersen Museum can help. I believe his whole collection is there. As I understand he absorbed alot of collections.

Rickman would have been around about that time, maybe some of his stuff might yield some clues.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  15. Weasel

Weasel

Louie Senter is very much alive and well.

16. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

I think it was Tom the journalist who died of cancer wasn't it? I had some old books of his, I'll have to have my son dig them out.

17. I say 1954. In '53 So-cal push truck had a sign taped to the window saying "God bless the Flathead" due to the Hemi out performing them. Guy with the cigar and Safari hat looks to be Ray Brown and the photographer looks like it may be Eric "Ric" Rickman

18. OK it was '54 my first Speed Week. That's me with the cigar, I was about 3 month's old.

Ok so I just wanted to tell an out and out lie. That wasn't me with the cigar.

Really cool pic for damned sure.

Happy Holidays to all.

Benno

19. The guy on the right with hat and cigar reminds me of Pappy Hart from Santa Ana and Lions dragstrips.

20. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

I believe the image is 1954.
    I also noted as JimmyB says, the so-cal truck is missing the "flathead" sign in the back window from 1953.
    Also in this picture below from the So-Cal book you can see the truck has the same barrell in the bed and this is dated 1954 with the coupe choppped
    [​IMG]
    also on page 171 of the so-cal book you can see the person working on the car in a pith helmet has what appears to be a scallop on the brim like the one Alex Xydias is wearing in the TRJ photo

then in Motorlife November 1954 there is a picture of the car at the starting line and you can make out the corner of the roof of a dark colored car with a tipped out wing window, much like the '46 ford in the TRJ photo would have.
    Also Bob Higbee appears to be wearing the same hat and shirt?
    [​IMG]
    I hope this helps
    Zach

21. Spooky

Spooky

As a closet K&L full on stalker, I do agree that it was taken in 1954. The fins placed in front of the rear wheels were used as a test and test only. The small windscreen that was used is now in the hands of one Keith Lodge in Colorado.
    Who has a stable of INCREDIBLE rods.

22. according to the life magazine archives, a man named J.R. Eyerman took many photos at bonneville in 1953 and 1954. heres one...

[​IMG]

23. 50mercfan ... Are you saying that "the photographer with his back to the camera who is holding a Speed Graphic type camera with the Spiral notebook in his back pocket" (in the TRJ B&W poster photo) could be the famous American photographer J R Eyerman?

I also thought it might be J. R. Eyerman (I posted two of his 1954 color photos of the K&L #777 'liner in post #10) ... but Mr. Eyerman was born October 9, 1906 ... which would make him 47 years old at the '54 B'ville Nats ... and (at least to me) the photographer with his back to the camera appears to be a much younger man.

BTW ... the car in the 1954 Eyerman photo you posted is the San Jose, CA based #888 "E" Streamliner of Eugene LeBlanc ... In '54 it was driven by (HOP UP Magazine editor) George Hill who could "only" muster a best of 219.51 mph in the ill-handling, 4-wheel drive, dual Chrysler V8 powered 'liner.

24. Dan Warner ... Agreed ... that was what I was trying (but failed) to convey in my original post ... As you are very well aware, Dry Lakes Racers have been using "200 MPH tape" on body panels since the early days ... for example:

The door seams on the Chrisman Coupe (circa '53):
    HRM Feb 54 cover.jpg
    click to enlarge

The leading edges of the wheel covers on the K&L 'liner (circa '51):
    #777 In Line - 1951 - by  Bob Roddick.jpg
    click to enlarge

A "staged photo" of the K&L 'liner at the end of the 1951 meet
    (note that the tape has been removed):
    #777 in Circle Of Champions - 1951 - by Bob Roddick.jpg
    click to enlarge

25. Here's yet another photo of the Kenz & Leslie 'liner at the 1954 Bonneville Nationals:

[​IMG]
    from the November 1954 HOT ROD Magazine article "STORM ON THE SALT!" by Racer Brown

Note that the same '46 Ford push car in this 1954 picture is in the TRJ Poster photo ... not necessarily conclusive evidence that the TRJ poster photo was also taken in 1954 ... but I haven't seen any 1953 or 1955 pics of the K&L 'liner with that '46 Ford push car in the background!

26. Not to dispute Hot Rod magazine, but wasn't Willie Young the usual driver of the streamliner? In the RJ picture I think the guy on the right with the cigar is Kenz of K&L.

27. zellerware

zellerware
    from dad's shop

I know Mike Leslie the son and will email the photo to him to see if he can shed any answers to who the others are..

28. funnycar

funnycar

I'll try (and probably post a big "error"): is it possible the man on the left carrying a camera was Eric "Rick" Rickman?

29. MDK

MDK
    from Belgium

Hello

I need your help...
    to complete my project to produce the Kenz & Leslie 777 de 1950, 1951 and 1953.
    I am missing items.
    Well I asked Ron Leslie but should ask friends to the pressure of pictures.
    I ask you if you have more net pictures with details them of décalcomanies.

Thank you for you it helps.

Marc
    [email protected]

Attached Files:

Spooky likes this.
  30. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado