Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dry Lakes Cars for sale sources?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ebert, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Ebert

Ebert

Been searching ALL over for good websites/sources that may have a high concentration of dry lakes cars for sale. Can anyone assist? Thanks! Ebert

2. Try the landracing websites.

3. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Think about it. So much work goes into building a special racecar for a specific class inside such a niche activity as racing on the dry lakes...that it's my guess that you're just not going to find a high concentration anywhere.

Good luck though.

4. firingorder1

firingorder1

Try landracing.com They have a for sale section and a wanted section.

5. Ol Deuce

Ol Deuce
    from Mt. U.S.A.

Ebert try >desertclassics.com< 1955Bonneville B-Lakester Land speed Belly Tank Race Car ;)

6. Bent

Bent
    from Canada

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  7. ABBoston

ABBoston
    from Boston

8. Here's the link: http://desertclassics.com/Lakester.html

Here's the asking price: For sale $500,000.

Thanks,
    Kurt

9. Some stuff shows up in the National Parts Peddler.

Best bet is the classifieds on Landracing.com

10. firingorder1

firingorder1

Contact the SCTA (scta-bni.org) and get a rule book. Rules change continuously and a lot of the older cars will not meet current regulations. If you find an older car you will need a rulebook to see how much work would be needed to bring it up to current requirements. The lakester above while beautiful would not be allowed to run today without a lot of work.

11. firingorder1

firingorder1

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

If you are serious I saw this work. Bill Carlson went to Bonneville with lots of cash and drove through the pits with "Race car wanted" shoe polished on the sides of his jeep. The next day he was running his roaqdster on the salt.

13. Ebert

Ebert

Guys, thanks a TON. I do not have deep pockets, but am on the QUEST! All of your suggestions are appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!! I have some money and might even consider a "rent-a-ride" and I (while in no way bragging) have driven a BUNCH of stuff without incident (because I cannot afford to wreck!).
    THANKS!
    Ebert

14. Ol Deuce

Ol Deuce
    from Mt. U.S.A.

If you want to rent-a-ride ? try to get ahold of Summers?I think its Bob Summers I hope this is right , His brother is dead of the Summers Brothers;)

15. firingorder1

firingorder1

That 49.5 biggies Stude is turnkey (with assistance provided) and will get you into the 299mph club. A good deal!

16. It's a long shot and a long way- D.L.R.A.
    google it.

17. Southfork

Southfork

Some older dry lakes racing cars that are long out-of-date SCTA-wise, seem to also have a following of nostalgia buffs even if they don't meet today's SCTA specifications/rules. They are just palin cool like pieces of Art. And for some of these cars (even if their racing history is vague or lost) it would be a shame to rework them to meet the current rules. For example, on a chopped 32 3-window that raced the dry lakes and/or Bonneville in the 40s, 50s or 60s, who today would put in a roll cage or install roof fins? I wonder what the market is on such a cars?

18. Ebert

Ebert

Thanks, guys, for ALL of your input! I am a low bucks guy and (sounding corny) just want to experience the DREAM.
    Thanks!
    Ebert