Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Surfer Style Wagons

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shawn F., Nov 26, 2008.

1. Wish I could say this was mine, but belongs to Bob and Anne Schlenk, out of The Villages, Florida. Has been in the family since new. Has a bitchin' cooler that is painted to match complete with faux wood trim. Me likey!!:D
    JT

Attached Files:

2. ramzoom

ramzoom
    from California

I had its twin only blue interior..:D

[​IMG]

Dont freak out owners of the cars posted..to each his own and I am not saying your cars arent nice or dont have a unique "look" because they are and they do..Its all good and fun..
    And I know I will catch some flak for this but I stand by what I say... throwing racks on a lowrider wagon or car does not qualify as a surfer wagon in my opinion..Tiki and bamboo is clich'e and cartoonish. Again a misdirected attempt at looking like a surfer wagon and reminds me of PT Cruisers with fake wood kits..Maybe my Grandma thinks it "surfer" but it is not..if it is used to go surfing then great! But it is a modern interpretation or fabrication of a "beachy" car.
    Surfer wagons and cars do not go overboard to "look" surfer they just are by means of their use as a surfer wagon/car. I drove a '68 Checker Marathon wagon in college because it was funky and cheap.. and used it to go surfing..it was lowered and had Velzy decals because that is what I rode..It had no bamboo or floral curtain material for door panels..no tikis anywhere....
    Dont get me wrong the cars/wagons listed in this forum are nice cars but are they "surfer" I would say no to some.. I would say they are cartoonish overdone attempts to look beachy..not a true representation of a "surfers" car/wagon. Overdone and cartoonish can be a cool style in a funky way..I am all for it.. but they are not a true representation of a surfers car/wagon

Doesnt mean I dont like them just giving my opinion..

3. Oppinion understood and this is why I said I dont know if I should call it the "surfer wagon" look or what.

4. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Funny, no one ever called my car a lowrider. It was bagged, not hydro'd. Never surfed in my life, never thought I had to to qualify for anything - the water is too cold for my tastes here in Ory-gun. Not a tiki to be found, and the only bamboo was on the racks. Yeah - I had boards on it, but I collect 'em. I like surf stuff. It was what is was. I liked it, and that was all that mattered to me. I put the pics on the post to offer my thought. We all have our opinions I suppose......

5. my buddies daily driver.........

Attached Files:

6. frankenstein1948

frankenstein1948

My daughters 64 chevy 2 surf wagon.

Attached Files:

7. rustydeuce

rustydeuce

Here's ours...

[​IMG]

Chavezk21 likes this.
  8. Here's my bow tie ......

Rat

Attached Files:

9. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

This my girlfriends '53 150 Handyman. It's been lowered a couple of inches, had it's teeth pulled and a few other minor modifications. It's gonna get wood over the winter along with a further tidy up all round.

[​IMG]

10. bustedlifter

bustedlifter

This thread makes me want to get a wagon!

11. We live where it's warm but the waves leave a bit to be desired lot's of the time. Had surfer friends in high school('66-'69), one drove a gasser style '55 Chevy(straight axle/slicks/fiberglass front end) with racks daily. Some guys did go out of their way to create the surf wagon look. Another friend bought a '53 Ford milk truck, painted it canary yellow with some chrome wheels, ran a home stereo off the 110 volts created by the refrigeration unit, opened an access to the rear but it froze him out and had to hang a curtain, the back had pillows and blankets like a persian whore house and had a peculiar musty smell, musta been the Hooka! And you thought Roger Daultry got a lot of tail!!!!

12. Kinda agree with you on this one, but to each his own.
    Having spent my High School and college days in Newport Beach (Surfing was my PE class in 1971), I will add that the Real Surfers always put their boards on the old "bungee cord" style racks with the fin to the front. Why? Cuz those straps didn't hold that great and the boards tended to slip back wards as you were blasting down PCH and the fin to the front kept them from flying off the car. Back then we used to give the gremmies shit if they put then on the other way - my wife still does :D

s.e.charles likes this.
  13. FoMoCo_MoFo

FoMoCo_MoFo

IMO if you don't surf or live by the beach than why ride around with a surfboard on top of your car? it seems pretty much like it boarders on drive-in trays complete with fake food and crybaby dolls to me... Nostalgia can be such a lame thing if left in the wrong hands.

14. repoguy

repoguy

That is the ugliest piece of shit I've ever seen.

15. Was driving through Oklahoma once years ago and here comes a VW Bug with two surf boards on top pulling into the Micky D. Asked em where they were headed to surf and they answered "Do What?"
    We laughed our asses off

16. buikwag

buikwag
    1. Buick Nailheads

Hers a couple of pictures of my sons 62 Chevy Belair wagon. Also a picture taken of a 33 Ford Woodie at The Big Bear run 2008.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  17. rustydeuce, I like your wagon. The colors look awesome and the stance is nice. As for the comments on surf boards, I dont plan to drive around with a surfboard on top all the time. Only when I am at the beach house with the car. When I use it for work the surfboard will be off. As for the tiki and flowered door panels, that is not me either and not what I plan to do. I plan to use vinyl and the material that I asked about on that dash in the suburban on the 1st page and that's it. For the exterior I am going with a green such as this: http://images.classictrucks.com/events/0706ct_11_z+15th_annual_mooneyes_hot_rod_show+.jpg
    Maybe the roof in a off white or pearl white or just solid I haven't decided.

18. rustydeuce

rustydeuce

Thanks for the comment man. That's the original paint scheme. Was thinking I might repaint and add flake to the copper roof so she glistens a little more in the summer sun.
    I had better make sure I put the longboard around the other way though so I don't get berated by the old boys when we hit the beaches over summer.:eek:

19. great thread...that Suburban out of Austin is awesome...just got a rack for my 54 dodge panel...gonna put it on later today...do I qualify? It's the one in my avatar

20. ramzoom

ramzoom
    from California

:)
    Can someone photoshop this panel to give it the "surfer look" please :)
    This is all wrong.....

21. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Kiwi Kev, that is a jalopy and should be posted in a likewise thread!:p I dig em either way...if it is a station wagon, ranch wagon, suburban it should either be stocked with people, camping equipment, or surf gear as well as any combination of those!!!

22. What's with the arm gestures? Seems kind of "Third Reich" to a surfer novice like me.

23. FoMoCo_MoFo

FoMoCo_MoFo

Haven't you ever heard of Surf Nazis?

24. AcadianKid

AcadianKid

Our old Nova Wagon. This car was too much fun....

Attached Files:

Ricky B likes this.
  25. I like the last nova wagon. Looks great! I was thinking about painting mine white at first but realized there are enough white ones and I have a white vehicle already, time for something different.

26. Adam D.

Adam D.

:d:d:d

27. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

I like...

28. JLasvegas

JLasvegas
    from Skin city

Here's my 1964 studebaker daytona wagonaire, with the retactable roof its the ultimate surfer wagon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]