Register now to get rid of these ads!

port-o-walls

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by H3O, Nov 4, 2008.

1. H3O

H3O

what are the pros and cons of using port-o-walls? i have them because i don't have the money for real whitewalls. just want some info. mine measure out to be 1 3/4".

2. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

Pro's = none
    Con's = they are shit.

3. HMS PH

HMS PH
    from Idaho

If you use port-o-walls on radial tires they often have wrinkle on the bottom side when parked. Secondly, they are difficult to install if there is any moisture on the port-o-wall or the tire bead. thw moisture will cause the wall to slip out of place, so make sure they are dry.

Sometimes there may be some bleed thru from the blackwall tire to the white port-o-wall, you can't cleant it off very well, so I use white shoe polish on the port-o-wall and they look great.

You are using a narrower port-o-wall, so you may not have the wrinkling problem, it is usually present with the wider whites.

One the good side, they look great!

4. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

I had a set sitting around forever. Put em on my impala just for fun, went on no problem, looked good, but the first time i drove on em by the time i reached my destination they had disintegrated. I think they were just to old.

5. Port-O-Walls = My ride was restored in India.

At that is without mentioning the damage they can do to your tires...

You're better off with nice blackwalls than ugly whites

6. BJR

BJR

It's got lights in the wheel well's and Porta Walls, burns cheap gas and never stalls... Schlock Rod! Jan & Dean flip side of Drag City.

7. elwood blues

elwood blues

I never got why people never glued them on with some silicon. I've done it a few times and never had a problem at all with them but then again I just ran them while I was waiting on whitewalls.

8. 56 Royal Lancer

56 Royal Lancer

No money here for big-buck fat whitewalls, I have been running these port-a-walls for over 5 years on my '56. No troubles, but the kinda funny thing is they "squeak" at parking-lot speeds, sounds a little like a Converse on a gym floor.
    Mine actually lay down pretty tight on the tires, the brand on them is "Wegu", I think they are made in Germany.

Attached Files:

9. Kerry67

Kerry67

If anyone is interested, I have a set of 13" & 14" Porta Walls that I am not going to use.

10. skyrodder

skyrodder

just save the money for real whitewalls, even if you have to buy 1 tire at a time.. thats what i am doing

11. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

they flap in the breeze and usually look wrinkled
    pros? there are none

12. Bernardarama

Bernardarama

i just think they look like piss and it so much cool for some real whites

13. zzford

zzford

Pro: I believe that at speed, when they pull away from the tires side, they act like a fin, giving great high speed stability.

14. If ya got em put em on! Its your car. Ya can't say these things are not traditional.

15. GothboY

GothboY
    from SoCal

I wanted to believe they could be cool. I tried and tried to get them to look good, or even work. I ended up getting out my grinder and making whites outta my tires. Even that looked better than the port-o's. Sorry. I dont dig the port-o's.
    -GothY-

16. Ball and Chain

Ball and Chain
    from Nor Cal

they'll work for a while, but word to the wise don't get the fat(3 in.) ones they'll rip quick.

17. Kerry67

Kerry67

I had them on a 57 Pontiac and they worked fine.

18. badlefihand

badlefihand

Tradition,For 45 years we thought they were called Porter walls,how dumb,than again we called seat covers, Indian blankets. The walls what ever they are called can look pretty decent,I think that they were much heavier in the days.

19. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

Port a walls were originally designed to go on a bias sidewall not a radial. The way they used to be installed was to use a soapy water on the inside of the portawall and mount the portawall on the tire add about 15 to 20 lbs of air and tap around them with a rubber mallet to seat them on the sidewall of the tire while adding air to the final pressure you want. Usually 32 to 35 lbs. Always worked good..Still there no substitute for the real thing.

20. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

There is nothing wrong with porta walls as long as you get a quality set, not the cheap shit from mooneyes. Atlas is a good brand.

21. plumfat40

plumfat40
    from colorado

Have had good luck with the WEGU brand from germany, my daughter runs em on her bug!!! fit real tight, and dont kick out at speed like the moon ones

Attached Files:

22. Bullet Man

Bullet Man

mooneyes sells the atlas brand! they don't sell the cheap shit! learn your shit before you talk shit!

23. Firstly either do it, real cheap use some krylon fusion paint, I have buddy that had used this a while back and it still is convincing.

otherwise save your cash andbuy the real deal.

If you like to burn rubber or use your ride like a normal car at regular highway speeds the the Port o wall with flap and most likely come off.
    No upsides

24. H3O

H3O

mine are only 1 3/4". not the fat 3"

25. Gator

Gator

Got 'em on my daily driver F100, no problems ever. Mine are Atlas brand, about 2 1/2 wide. When I got the truck it had brand new raised white letter Hoosier radials on painted 'wagon wheels'. I bought a set of cheapo chrome smoothies, flipped the tires around and added a set of free port-o-walls. Completely changed the look of the truck for less than $300 bucks.

I think the secret to the fit is taking your time installing them, and if you're using radials they fit a lot better if the tire is a bit wider than the rim - I guess it helps keep them pushed out evenly.

[​IMG]

26. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

now thats some funny shit.

27. 26Rooster

26Rooster

Hey H30, haven't talked to ya much since the cruise nites ended!! Truck is lookin' good!!!
    I say go for it, run 'em for awhile. Maybe find a used set of tires, grind the sidewalls to a make a larger whitewall. See ya around.

28. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

My mistake! Thanks for the correction!:cool:

29. I got 3 summers out of my 3" flappers on 235-70r-15 tires. Found the rear worked great. The front being heavier puts more of a buldge in the bottom of the tire causing the port-a-wall to pull away from the tire when parked. At shows people would comment on the white walls and were quite surprised when I flip the flapper away from the tire. The raised lettering on the tire seemed to bleed thru the white wall after a year or so.
    I have since put a set of cokers on the front but still run the flappers on the rear.
    truck 002.jpg

truck 006.jpg

30. Mopar34

Mopar34

They sucked when I used them on my 56 Ford in 1962 and I am sure that the ones today still suck.

Check around maybe you can get lucky and get a set of ww that some one doesn't need. My nephew just purchased on ebay a set of 4 15 inch wide whites for his VW bug for $300 including the wheels. Good deals can still be had.