Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB HISTORIANS HELP -Finest Merc gathering around ~ 60th Anniversary of the 49 Merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by axle, Oct 24, 2008.

1. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Attention Hamber's and early Mercury lovers around the world,

I have just been given the green light by the producers of the Sacramento Autorama to announce that we will be rounding up and displaying the most prestigious, most historical, most famous early Mercs on the planet. Although this indeed recognizes the 60th anniversary of the 1949 Mercury, the plan is to include the 1939,1940,1950,1951, and up to the mid 50's Mercs.

Just like the 75th anniversary of the "Deuce Reunion" 2 years ago at the GNRS, a building will be dedicated and reserved for an all custom Merc display that guarantee's to be the best in the nation ! Although there is a huge emphasis on bringing early Merc customs to this one of a kind display we will also invite clone/recreations of early cars, movie cars,influenced cars,and newer well recognized Mercs.

We are asking the assistance of Rikster , Temecula Robbie, and all other extremely knowledgeable Hambers who know the history of well known custom Mercs, and their where abouts.

here is a small list of some of the Mercs i have come up with - off the top of my head:

HIROHATA MERC - owned by Jim Mcneil.
    NICK MATRANGA CLONE - Anyone know who the owner is? (saw this car at the NHRA museum).
    BETTANCOURT/AYALA MERC - Anyone know the where abouts?
    SAM BARRIS MERC - recently restored by Brizio.
    JAVIER MEJIA MERC - inspired by the Jerry Quesnel Merc.
    BAILON MERC - owned by Bruce Meyer.
    KEVAN SLEDGE MERC - Initially inspired by the Matranga, but went a step further - will debut in sacramento.
    COBRA STALLONE MERC - I know, buts its a movie car, and the public will dig it. Anyone know the where abouts? Thinking back, i remember hearing that 3 were built for the film?
    HEART LIKE A WHEEL MERC - Was used in this film and driven by Shirley Muldowney's husband, i used to see this car back in the 80's at the Pomona swapmeet. Anyone know its whereabouts?
    MARK MORTON MERC - owner of Hop Up.
    HARRY WESTERGARD MERC - a 40 convertible that was shown in the Detroit Autorama last year. Anyone know who the owner is?
    WALLY WELCH MERC - anyone know its where abouts?
    BUDDY ALCORN MERC - restored by collector Kurt McCormick, anyone know its where abouts?
    JAMES DEAN MERC - I think this is at the Harrahs car museum.

Thats all i can think of right now. I know i have missed a bunch ,so we welcome any suggestions or info on the cars mentioned above. Thanks guys !

Axle

2. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

You need the Bertalucci Merc Conv. Sedan- a friend own in Richmond

And you HAVE to have any version of the A.G. Merc- a few clones exist if orig. is not available.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Sounds cool.... It be awesome to see them all in one place.

4. JAWS

JAWS

James Dean's merc is at the Harrahs museum.
    The merc from cobra was transformed into the merc used in Gone in 60 seconds with Nick Cage. Bastards! I did hear that there were some extras used though, maybe one of them is around.

5. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

talk to Anthony White, 00 Mack... He's probably the most knowledgable kustom mercury historian on the planet......

6. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

That's what I know

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  7. Wally Welch Merc ....Joe Eddy
    Westergard Merc .....Americas Auto Museum
    Buddy Alcorn .........Kurt McCormick

Mick

8. Not really historic, but Mercury Charley's is a standout, as is Hegman's (sp?)

9. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Jim, For years i have been looking for the A.G. merc. Setzer and another friend gave me info on it a long time ago but i hit constant dead ends. About a year ago i received an anonymous email from someone, and there was a picture of the A.G. merc in the back of what looked like a run down old gas station with junky 70's cars all around it. I swear it was back east by the plants & tree's ,and i'd give a left one to find it.

Just recently there was an A.G. reunion in Petaluma Ca. where a lot of the movie was filmed. In one of the pictures there's a Pharoah Merc clone done nicely. last time i saw Bo Hopkins he told me that he was having one built. That would be great to have a Pharoah with his a Merc clone at this gathering .

Thanks guys, keep em coming !

10. axle

axle
    from Drag City

I should add some important information.

This will be a "Non Competition" building - meaning , no awards given.

There will be no fee's to put car in the show.

All owners of the Merc's invited in this building will receive a limited edition custom embroidered car coat.

Also, owners will receive a goody bag and a 3 day pass.

And lastly, Vehicle trailers that qualify for tow money will be paid $.40 per mile, one way, traveling over 150 miles one way, to maximum of 1,000 miles. Tow money must be picked up at the show office between 1:00 p.m. until the close of the show on Sunday. Tow money is not paid to special exhibit vehicles, go karts, pedal cars, bicycles, and all non-competition entries.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  11. sled

sled

Axle,after this great news i really want to have my mex junk Merc in whatever conds over there....sounds like a great fun already...sled

12. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

There's a YouTube vid with the guy talking about his A.G. clone Merc- it's 100 percent accurate. That one in those pis you mentioned was definitely the original car- had the mirrors and striping Setzer put on it still.

13. John50

John50

Dean Bryant from Elegant Customs by Dean built/owns the Cobra merc which was transformed into the Gone is 60 Seconds merc.
    He is somewhere in SoCal.

14. THEKID49

THEKID49

00Mack's merc should be included. It was chopped by Frank Marratta, and was alleged(sp) to be the first chopped on the east coast.

15. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Hey Axle, great to hear this is happening...I can't wait :)

The Ayala-built (Barris updated), Wally Welch '50 Merc coupe is now owned by Justin Mozart after he bought it from Joe Eddie. I will contact him and pass your information along to him.

The Nick Matranga clone (built by Bill Hines) in the NHRA Museum was owned by Duncan Emmons, and I believe his widow still owns the car today.

(The Bettancourt/Zupan Merc is rumored to be in the Bay Area, but has not been seen for decades.)

Frank Sonzogni's '50 (with '51 quarters) Merc coupe was floating around in the '80s...anybody know where it is today?

Al Glickman's Ayala-built '51 Merc convertible with Olds quarters (whereabouts unknown)

There was a gorgeous Bugarin-inspired '51 Merc on here with Chrysler grill bars in it...that would be an ideal addition.

Restored and still around:

Ralph Testa '50 Merc convertible (not sure of owner)
    Fred Rowe '51 Merc convertible (from the Running Wild movie- not sure of the owner)
    Johnny Zaro '40 Merc coupe- owned by Kurt McCormick

I think Gene Winfield is building a clone of his old Solar Scene Merc, maybe it will be done in time.

John Babcock's '40 Merc Afterglow is great.

Butch Hurley/Curly Tremayne's '50 Merc coupe built by Rod Powell is still around...in the Bay Area I think.

16. Rikster

Rikster

WOW great idear...
    That will be such a sight to see all those cars together in one place.

I will think about it some more over the weekend. One that I can think of now is the Bettancourt near clone that Barry Mazza built in the 80's-90's. It has been showed as beeing the real deal at some concours... I have not heard from it for some time... but I know it has been restored once... should be still around.

The Rodders Journal has fatured two very period customs. One a red 1939 Merc convertible and the other a black 41 convertible. All original customs from the 40's. Those would be perfect for the exhibition.

17. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

'80s...anybody know where itFrank Sonzogni's '50 (with '51 quarters) Merc coupe was floating around in the '80s...anybody know where it is today? is today?

is this the merc that the LA police officer built at Barris's at night?
    if it is it's in tucson AZ it was in a fire from what i was told and this guy in tucson bought it and redid it. i have seen his house he had a couple mercs in his back yard. but i never got to see the merc it's self.

18. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

how about that merc that bill reasoner built it was like a hot rod merc with split tail lights.
    by the way is he still around?
    what about that merc derosa built. i think it was called the king of mercs

19. Rikster

Rikster

More HERE

20. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

thanks. so i was right. the first time i heard about it was in the early to mid 90's and as far as i know it's still there.
    we go back to visit family in that town. my dad caught him home one time and he showed it to him but i didnt get to see it. maybe next time I'm over there i will stop and ask to see it, and shoot some pics for the forum.

21. Rikster

Rikster

Some pics to go with the list

Hirohata Merc
    [​IMG]

Bill Hines built Matranga Clone
    [​IMG]

Barry Mazza built Bettancourt inspired Mercury
    [​IMG]

Sam Barris Merc.
    [​IMG]

Javier Mejia Merc.
    [​IMG]

Joe Bailon Merc.
    [​IMG]

Kevan Sledge 1940 Mercury (should be done for the show)
    [​IMG]

COBRA STALLONE MERC (dont think this one belongs here though)
    [​IMG]

HEART LIKE A WHEEL MERC

MARK MORTON MERC
    [​IMG]

HARRY WESTERGARD MERC (Ohanesian Merc by Bertolucci and Westergard)
    [​IMG]

WALLY WELCH MERC (Joe Eddy restored version photo, Justin Mozart is doing a complete restoration)
    [​IMG]

BUDDY ALCORN MERC
    [​IMG]

JAMES DEAN MERC (have my doubts this photo is of the real car though)
    [​IMG]

Frank Sonzogni's '50
    [​IMG]

Butch Hurley/Curly Tremayne's '50 Merc coupe built by Rod Powell
    [​IMG]

I will add a few more later today...

22. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Wow, you guys have a wealth of information and it is invaluable ! You can all make this successful by helping me obtain phone numbers,addresses, names of friends of friends of friends....etc....to make our search a little easier.

Rikster, seeing all of those pictures together shows just what the building is going to look like.

AWESOME !

Again, even if you guys can give me starting points.....like this car was restored by...... or that car was painted by............. it gives us something to go by.

Robbie, (Shoebox1950) maybe you and Rikster can email each other and see what you guys come up with?

Again, thanks very much guys.

23. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

I saw the "King of Mercs" in a body shop in Escondido, CA about three years ago while it was being redone. It was up on a lift and I walked under it...there was some extensive sheetmetal work being "redone" on the car. I'm not sure who the owner was at the time, but I will stop by the shop next time I am in the area and see what I can find out.

Rikster, I forgot about Barry Mazza's Bettancourt clone- good call :)

24. Rikster

Rikster

I think the new owner of teh King of Mercs has posted here on the hamb as well... do a search... no time for that right now.

Rik

25. crossroads

crossroads

Oh this is good.........This my friends, is gonna be awesome !

26. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

I guess I better get to work!

27. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

I can't wait either,cool "idea" axle ! Rob,you talk about Bill Balough's Merc.But let's buy him some tires before he enters the show...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  28. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Thanks guys, please keep em coming.

Again, email addresses,phone numbers, mailing addresses would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone personally know who "bbishop" is here on HAMB ? he owns the "King of Mercs" sectioned 50 Merc that DeRosa built. I'd like to find him and also the owner of the "King of Mercs II" 40 Merc that DeRosa also did.

29. Rikster

Rikster

PM send

30. There sure is alot of Mercs.