Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Gary Heliker's T Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Richard D, Sep 25, 2008.

1. I found a few B/W images from the May '62 Rod and Custom, besides the color photo in Andy Southard's book with Norm in the background (anyone got an electronic copy of the color photo?). I will have a T roadster in my posession soon, and want to start research for a similar build after the Ugly Truck(If I ever finish it!).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any one got anymore info, I did a search but want more.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  2. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Which Southard book did you see this T in?...

Malcolm

3. It's expensive and hard to find, but an awesome book. The T is on the first page of the first chapter.

4. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Cool... Thanks! I need to get that book. :cool:

5. Richard, here's the rest of the pictures from the Rod Test of Gary Heliker's T from the May 62 issue of Rod & Custom.
    Hope these help.

Mick

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  6. Thanks Mick, I blew them up a bit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
    EVL401 and catdad49 like this.
  7. DrJ

DrJ

I wish I still had that issue, but alas...

I vaguely remember that car, (or a car a lot like it that I"m confusing with it,) had a stock location front axle and spring and then it got modified to the suicide front end.
    At the time I liked it better pre-suicide front.
    Is this the same car?
    If so, does anyone have the magazine coverage of it from a year or two prior to this one with the under the radiator location axle?

I like that "front fenders, made up from ancient Ford spare tire covers..." caption... Like 25 year old parts are ancient?!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  8. Actually, when I did a search, you were telling in a several year old thread how he had welded the body to the frame, and added lower valances to emulate a belly pan, which are seen in these photos. Your memory must be fading...

"I've always liked Gary Heliker's Nail head powered channeled T.
    It's the Burgundy metalflake car on pages 8-9 of Andy Southard's hotrods & Customs of th 1960s the picture with Norm Grabowski behind it checking it out. If I remember right the body was welded to the bottom of the '32 frame, and gary didn't like the finish of the joint so he welded some valences on the sides, '59 Chevy I think, to hide the welds making it look like it had a rolled pan/apron on the bottom.
    Anyway the rear was Zd so far the tires and cycle fenders were higher than the trunk lid, yet the body was actually only channeled to the bottom of the rails."

Good info from exactly five years ago tomorrow!

9. DrJ

DrJ

Yea, I remember that post... vaguely,(what decade did I post that?) I just don't remember if this is the car that got the axle moved AFTER it was a running hotrod or not.

10. Now who has some in color?

11. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Here you go, I scanned the book for you sorry souls that don't have it. What a beautiful car. Hey does Norm's buddy look like Judge Rheinhold?

[​IMG]

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Mmmmm, I want a 322 Nailhead in my Bucket. Beautiful car!

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of my favorite T's. And yup those nailheads can be done up to be classy engines that go too.

14. Thanks, I have the book but no scanner. I wish I could get an image of that without the crease in the middle. I wonder if Andy Southard (the took that photograph) is a H.A.M.B. member?

15. Anybody else notice the angle of the drag link?

16. I have always heard parallel to the ground is best, but I've seen lots like that.

17. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

On a 4 bar you go parallel...but when you have a single rotation point for axle movement you try to mirror the rotation...although with the limited movement it really shouldn't be much of a difference.
    Cowl steer works OK with split bones...soooo ;)

Anyway...beautiful car! Always had a soft spot for the latemodel T's.

18. I meant to say, parallel to the bones. Cowl would be better because the length is closer to the same. Anyhoo, that's for another thread.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  19. GuyW

GuyW

Not parallel - concentric. The draglink should be radial to the arc of the axle movement as closely as possible..so, running the draglink "thru" the 'bone tierod end is close...

20. junquewerkz

junquewerkz

Not to highjack this post on a cool T, but can you explain this with an illustration? I'm not getting it...thanks!

21. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

The axle assembly is held to the frame at a single pivot point on either side. (If its a 4 bar system then other rules apply!)
    As it moves it will have the axle follow an arc...the radius of the arc being (basicly) the distance from the wishbone rod end (the pivot) to the center of the roadwheel.
    The draglink needs to follow this same arc to prevent "bump steer".
    Having the pitman arm tierod end right next to the wishbone tierod end is very good.
    The draglink will be at a visual angle, but the effective arcs of the draglink and axle assembly will match each other better that way.

Now, with the small amount of axle movement most Hot Rods have...you can do it different and still have a great driver. Half the fun is making stuff work that the rules say shouldn't...!!!

22. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

That's a hot car. If I ever get my hot rod project I'm definitely putting a Nailhead in it.

23. junquewerkz

junquewerkz

Thanks for the explanation, I appreciate it!

24. Sorry 'bout that, the color pics shows the drag link end being much closer to where the harpin pivot is...

By the way, I love this car...

25. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Hate to bring up an old post......but I LOVE this car!!! I saw it in Rod&Custom and thought I'd search here for more and what do you know?

Anyway, here's a pic that hasn't been posted...found it on wiki...wish I could read what that sign says...

[​IMG]

26. July 1962 Hot Rod article.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

catdad49 likes this.
  27. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

28. I'm glad you brought this back up, I need a little inspiration as I want to get back to work on my T soon...