Register now to get rid of these ads!

help identifying mopar flathead 6 in my 1936 Plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by n1gzd, Sep 1, 2008.

1. n1gzd

n1gzd
    from Acton, MA

It appears that the serial number is stamped on the left side of the block (toward the front on the side of the engine on the left side).
    The number appears to read:
    T3IO-25305
    It is clearly a Mopar flathead 6. However, I would like to figure out exactly which one.
    Is it possible that I read the number wrong. I looked at it several times.
    There is also a raised "D" on the top of the head.
    On the left side towards the rear of the engine there are raised numbers that appear to read: 1326306-4
    It appears that the intake manifold casting number is: 651259-6
    Does anyone have any info?
    Rebecca

2. Rebecca,

Sounds like you have a mid-50's Dodge truck engine;

T-Truck
    3I0 (310) - 1951-1953 Dodge Truck (230 cu in.) (Ply/Dodge 23" 'small block')

Generally speaking, 132xxxx part/casting #'s correspond to 1951-1954 production.

Intake casting # matches 1936-1938 production range...probably stock for your car.

"D" on the head indicates that it's a dodge...if you can give me the casting # I can date it for you.

My 50 Plymouth has a '47 218 motor with the stock '50 intake manifold. Seems that intakes varied somewhat from the 30's to the late 50's, so swapping the 'long block' while retaining the stock intake/exhaust was quite common. Perhaps the donor intake wouldn't fit this application, thus the use of the early intake. Aftermarket intakes seem to follow this general trend...my early Edmunds 2x2 will not clear my firewall, while later Edmunds intakes fit without any trouble...

Hope this helps!

3. n1gzd

n1gzd
    from Acton, MA

Are you talking about the casting number that I gave above: 1326306-4?
    Rebecca

4. n1gzd

n1gzd
    from Acton, MA

My carburetor is BBR-1. Is that the part number. I also think that it says 6-293.
    Rebecca

5. Yes, your engine serial # (T3I0xxxxx) breaks down to 1951-1953 Dodge Truck; casting or part numbers in the 132xxxx range correspond to 1951-1954 production, so, generally speaking, any casting/part # in the 132xxxx range dates from 1951-1954 (might be a handy way to id other parts for future reference).

6. n1gzd

n1gzd
    from Acton, MA

I guess I need to get a 50's Dodge truck manual so I can get the specifications and other engine data. I have not checked the casting number on the rear end yet. I was told that it was a 41 plymouth rear end but I have seen no proof yet.

Rebecca

7. What specs do you need?

Also, check the id plate on the side of your distributor...would be interesting to see if they used the stock one or if they swapped that out too.

8. n1gzd

n1gzd
    from Acton, MA

Valve clearances, hot/cold, and other tuneup specs (probably the same as the stock engine but I should find out), ignition timing, etc.
    I have been looking at this web page:
    http://townwagon.com/pgpws/pgengines/230fh.htm

It seems that I should check to see if my block is 23" or 25" just to be sure.
    Rebecca

9. n1gzd

n1gzd
    from Acton, MA

I drove this car on the street for the first time this weekend. It was really fun. I could really feel the low rpm torque. Very fun to drive even in it's stock configuration.

Rebecca

10. It's a 23" block. Same as all US production dodge/plymouth flatheads.

11. n1gzd

n1gzd
    from Acton, MA

Thanks for the info. I will post any further questions related to this thread. I am very impressed how quickly I could get intelligent answers. The HAMB rocks!!
    Thanks again.
    Rebecca

12. indeed!

13. PurplePearl50

PurplePearl50
    from Sedalia,Mo

I have a 59 dodge pickup d100
    On the serial pad P26*I9887*
    The date is 9-28-55
    on flat plate on head it has a large P then 616823-5
    on the rear of the block at the bottom on the left side 48492-32
    Is that a 55 Plymouth 230?
    did they put those in pickup trucks in 59?

14. P26 is 230cid from '55 correct

15. squirrel

squirrel

No, but junkyards have been selling used engines for a very long time, and people have been putting whatever engine they can find in whatever vehicle they have for a very long time.

16. i have a p23 i just recently picked up...still looking to find a cheap ( yeah i know!!) bell housing to try and get it fired up...it rolls over fine, was a runner when pulled, guy is my best freinds b/inlaw...so i trust him...been wondering how well they run with daul carbs and split headers..........

17. Well, they run like marbel, they are Mopars afterall... Seriously that flatty is quite surprising engine, doesn't look that stout on paper, but it really gets your stuff moving with ease.