Register now to get rid of these ads!

6 Volt To 12 Volt Conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4T4DR, Aug 20, 2006.

1. 4T4DR

4T4DR

:) 6 VOLT TO 12 VOLT CONVERSION:

Could someone please tell me the basics to changing from a 6 volt system to a 12 volt system. I recently purchased a 48 chevy truck which will need to be switched until I fully replace the electrical system and the drive train.

2. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

My best advice would be to check out the booklet by Randy Rundle. He operates 5th avenue auto electric and wrote the book- it's very helpful outside of the obvious stuff like change the battery, install an alternator, and change the bulbs....

Jay

3. Greazzy13

Greazzy13

I just did it with a 1951 Packard. I pulled out ALL the old wiring. DONT throw it away. You never know when you have to refer back. But I went with a 12 circuit wiring harness from Painless. Replaced headlights, taillight bulbs, new dash bulbs, new ignition switch, GM alternator with internal voltage regulator, 12v coil,...The wiring harness replaced the rest. I did use a new fuel, oil pressure, temp, and tach, which the wiring harness had wires for. All in all the conversion cost less than $500. I heartell you can have generators rebuilt for 12 volt. I reused the same starter, plugs, and wires. Good luck.

4. 4T4DR

4T4DR

Thanks for the help open to more also.

5. Kustomz

Kustomz

6. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

7. 53DRIVER

53DRIVER
    from TA CO MA

8. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I'd swap the generator for an alt. 12 volt battery and light bulbs. borrow your father in law's wiring book on gauge conversion

9. spin_packard

spin_packard

What type of GM 12V alternator should I used to make a conversion from genarator to alternator on a 1951 Packard.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    Thanks guys.
    SpinAuto Group

10. belair

belair

Just did this with my 48 Chevy. BUY A NEW HARNESS. Mine is disintegrating, but I'm using it for a little while. I went with a one wire alt. from one of the mail order biggies. Easy as pie.

11. i would use just a normal 3 wire internal regulated alternator..GM made millions of them , you could probably find a good used one. of course , you will have to make a mounting bracket for it , but that shouldn't be too hard if you have access to metal working equipment

12. gonzo2424

gonzo2424

Looking into converting my 54 Chev to 12 volt. Might buy the NCA kit so im not driving around looking for every bulb if someone doesnt have it. Do yall think it is even all that important to convert?

13. gonzo2424

gonzo2424

bump question

14. jetmek

jetmek

you can use the stock gauges...go to napa and buy a p/n IR-1 put in the pwr feed to the gauges. it has points that cycle like a flasher so the averge output is 6v. the rest is pretty simple.