Register now to get rid of these ads!

What engines were used on irrigation pumps etc?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have one of those leads on an engine "with the spark plugs in the valve covers".

Were most of the Industrial Hemis the 354 and 392? This is one of those friend of a friend deals.......

2. ORGANGRINDER

ORGANGRINDER

i always heard that the flathead v8 was used most......i guess to some it would look like the plug was in the "valve cover"

reggie

3. Roothawg

Roothawg

This is supposed to be a Chrysler engine.

4. I have heard of Hemis. Good bet it is a flatty or Hemi.

5. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

The 331 was used alot as well......

6. Roothawg

Roothawg

10 bucks says it never materializes.

7. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

FWIW-I grew up in the upper midwest farm country in the 60s. The vast majority of irrigation pumps I saw were powered by Ford/Mopar flathead 6s.

8. Ole Pork

Ole Pork

I worked for a time in the electric motor field, and we re-built pumps also.The pumps that were powered by engines, were usually whatever the owners put together. By far, it seemed that older hemis, and Ford v-8's were used most. It depends really on when the rig was built and what was available at that time. Other Mopar engines, such as 413, and 440's were also popular.....

9. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

lots of hemis where used in the texas panhandle for pumps and most were industrial

10. No industrial 392s.

There was the "56a", which was the only 354 industrial motor. The 56 and I/IND 20, 20a, 24, 24a were all 331s.

Industrial hemis tend not to have the stamping in the usual place on the front of the valley, but instead only a riveted tag on the back behind the left side head and covered in enough grime.

11. boldventure

boldventure

The Blastoline guys, same guys that built Leno's "Tank Car", put a "twin-six", a 12 cylinder GM engine, in their latest creation. I stumbled on some info about this engine a while ago on the web. I've heard many of them are used to power irrigation pumps, one reference said irrigation pumps in TX.

Lots of HAMB guys in TX, ever heard of one?

12. Roothawg

Roothawg

I am still trying to get info. Someone had told a buddy about this " 426 hemi" irrigation pump. I told my buddy that most were the smaller cid engines. He was only interested in it if it were a 426, (which I don't think they ever made). He told me if it is anything other, he'd let me have it. It supposed to be free. We'll see.

13. boozoo

boozoo

392 no...

331 and 354 are most of what my Dad's been running into.

What I remembered seeing most while growing up was stuff like SBC's and 6 bangers.

14. My brother got a 331 hemi with 354 heads on it from an irrigation pump. It had the cool "Chrysler Industrial" valve covers on it.

You used to be able to buy the industrial motors from Princess Auto out west!

15. I spent part of some summers as a kid on farms in rural New Hampshire. I was intrigued by these irrigation pumps that were often right next to the road in many cases with a big fuel tank close by (with a lock on the cap!).

I've seen Ford flatties, old 292-ish Y-blocks and Chrysler flatheads. Most of them had huge truck radiators in front of them.

Bob

16. RacerRick

RacerRick

If its a V8 chrysler with sparkplugs through the valve covers, my guess would be a 331 or 354 industrial hemi. THey used them up here also.

17. boldventure

boldventure

18. tractorguy

tractorguy

I recently bought a pump and 348 Chev. combination. It had run with a Chrysler hemi until it blew and owner put the Chev. in. Currently, many irrigation pumps run big block Chev 396 454 502. They run on propane in many cases. Also, more pumps are now running with tractor engines such as Cat, Cummins, John Deere etc. I have not been inside the 348 engine yet but I think running any engine on a pump is like running on a loaded dyno for your entire life.

19. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Maybe it's a Hemi and its actually attatched to an Air Raid siren! That was always something Ive wanted to have in my yard. Talk about being a hit with the neighbors haha. Good luck on the hunt!

20. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

The older industrial pumps we had on the base here had 354's. Down at the local Air base they still had 354's powering their mobile staircases up until 3-4 years ago.
    On the other hand i have found several air cooled vw powered irrigation pumps.

21. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

On the way to El Mirage I used to pass an 805 inch Roline V8 powered irragation pump. Looked like it ran on nateral gas. Had an oil drun mounted next to and higher than it with what looked like a float valve to add oil if the level dropped enough. The drive was disconnected and a large electric motor was turning the pump.

22. 61TBird

61TBird

this one??

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pha8W_AcDaA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pha8W_AcDaA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bgc5P6NlWgo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bgc5P6NlWgo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

23. KeithDyer

KeithDyer

Hmmmmm!!

Wonder if they look like this??

K

Attached Files:

24. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

40 years ago I was in a warehouse in Toledo where there were 300 425 industrial engines. They were all paunted light blue. A few months later I was there again, and they were gone. I have no idea what they were for, or who got them, but they did exist. They may well have gone overseas.

25. Ramblur

Ramblur

Around here I'm guessing the swamp rat made off with most of the Chryslers,
    but I used too see a lot of nailhead Buicks and occasionally Packard inline
    8's.

26. I saw one that was an older DeSoto hemi.

Make sure if you get something that it runs in the right direction. I've heard there were some industrial engines that were designed to rotate backwards, and you have to change out the cam and a bunch of other parts to get it to run forwards again.

27. George

George

There were Dodge & DeSoto industrial Hemis. The counter rotating ones were marine(boat) engines.

28. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

Lots of Olds 455's were used on irrigation pumps in central and west texas. Lots of torque for lifting water from deep wells.

29. I saw an old Poly irrigation engine setting behind an irrigation place the other day, probably pretty good still if it was run on propane or natural gas.
    I think alot of the farmers are going with electric pumps around here now.

30. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

lots of the home built pumps and saws on farms etc were old buick straight 6,s and also straight 8,s. My chevy V8 in 56' was supposedly a wind machine motor from a texas orange grove.I think most any old car engine available was used in the old days.