Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Wishbone

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Very cool ride and I also liked one of daily drivers....model A sedan.

3. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

I'm glad someone likes it, I'd have to agree with Roth on this one!

4. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I like it! His over the top stuff is fun to me, but this one done up in a simple '60s style works!

I've never seen this one before, thanks for bringing it up to us

Those seats make the statement!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008

5. BLACKIE HARVELLE

BLACKIE HARVELLE

Man i swear I think that car or one real close is in the tueplo ms,car museum Ive been there,about 2 years ago,Do we have any members in Tueplo Ms.,that can go check?

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yep, that's exactly where it is I believe... That's where the images in this post were taken.

7. i gota say surflite or cpt peppis

8. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

Do you have anymore pix of it? I can't really tell much about it from those two. The side veiw doesn't look like much but the one of the front looks kinda neat.

9. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Not a fan of it.

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

in my entire life I have never heard anyone say they don't like Roth cars.:eek:

11. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

12. 31Apickup

31Apickup

The Wishbone is in the Museum in Tupelo, was there last November. I took some pictures and the same cars are in the background.

13. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Roth had such gifted designers most of his early stuff really resonates to those of us who came up in the 60's. My personal favorite is the Mysterion,keeping in mind it was made for shows,it's still a wonderful styling and sculptural statement,even if not to practical.Yeah ,I Know it's not the Duane Spencer duece,but still pretty neat,creative stuff. Hot Rods and their creators have always been pretty neat.

GuyW likes this.
  14. Terry

Terry

I've never been a fan of Roth or his cars. Then I read his book, well .... then I was sure I was not a fan of Roth! Seems he was a over bearing jerk, and after reading the part about going at night and screwing up the paint job on the princess, cause he didn't think his kid deserved it, not a nice guy.

I met him once. He said that "Hot rodding was a curse he wouldn't wish on his worst enemy". Sometimes I guess I can almost understand that one.

15. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Funny how some of our ideas can change over time,and some don't,The only Roth show* rod I liked my self was "The Outlaw" after that to me they want down hill fast .
    I dumped my Hot Rod mag sub in 66,becaues it had a VW dune buggy on the cover(to me that was a sin),never got a nother one. I hated VW's in any form and that ugly poor butt bad engineering show car,NO don't like it ether.
    Well it is good that we don't all have the same likes and dislikes,helps make some stuff look better to each of us.:cool: A few years back I even built and raced a few VW's

16. roddinron

roddinron

I've said it, but not quite as blatantly as Ryan. I always thought they were just a little over the top, and since many weren't drivable it was hard to even view them as "real" cars. But if you take them as they are, just wild 60's design exercises you can really appreciate them. But he was always sort of my hero when I was growing up, and I did have the honor to meet Ed once, and he didn't let me down, he was as cool as I could ever have hoped.

17. Gigantor

Gigantor

It takes juevos to admit that around here, Boss. I recognize the influence and attitude and fun he brought to Hot Rods and Customs in general, but his outlandish cars never really floated my boat either. I don't get a hard on when I see the Mysterion and if I see one more rat fink I'm gonna pu-.. Nevermind.
    The wishbone is pretty neat though.

18. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have just never really been a fan of the "Show rods". Not my cup O' tea.

19. PurplePearl50

PurplePearl50
    from Sedalia,Mo

Ed didnt do the shit he did for other people. He did it for himself. He didnt give a shit what other people thought.

20. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I've never really liked much of Roth's cars either.......or any "show" rod that can't be driven...OFTEN and reliably.......

21. Anderson

Anderson

I've always been a big Roth fan. I love all the show rods, driveable or not...I think the Bandit is my favorite. Th wishbone is my least favorite....right up there with the globe hopper and that Stealth thing....yuck!

But, his flamed '57 (with a bad ass chrome tape roof) and Ford powered '55 are two of the coolest tri-5 Chevy's I've ever seen. I wouldn't have changed a thing on either one.

22. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

I'm not a fan of the Wishbone, either. In fact, Roth hated it and cut it up, so that's gotta tell you something. I think my least favorite was the Orbitron. It looked like someone shit out a mutant cyclops Mustang. I do love most of Roth's cars simply because he had the balls to buck the system and build whatever his weird brain cooked up. He wasn't worried about "Not traditional enough" or fitting in with what was already done to death. He blazed his own trail and that's cool enough for me. I am sick of seeing Rat Finks on everything, though. I have to add that I am a HUGE fan of Roth himself and his contributions to this hobby. I got to meet him once briefly and he was nothing but nice to me. I had him paint a hubcap for me and it's one of my most prized possessions.

23. Gigantor

Gigantor

Man, we're coming out of the woodwork around here! Who knew!?

24. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I always liked wacky show rods... not just the Roth stuff but al the others too like the phone booth T and the bathtub buggy or whatever it was called... all that crazy 60's stuff. sure they are not real cars that can drive, but cool none the less.

the only "car" I can remember from my first trip to the Oakland Roadster show around 1970 was some sort of motorized chromed out wheelbarrow, so maybe my thinking was scarred from that early exposure to nutty cars.

25. "in my bathroom as reading material. about twice a day":eek:
    Glad to hear you're "staying regular" Boss :D:D:D:D

26. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Some of the roth cars did drive, when I owned the Road Agent, I drove it to a local cruise night a couple of times. It actually drove really nice. I like the wishbone it was really an excersize on thinking outside of the box as were most (all) of his show cars. The display of roth cars at the 06 detroit autorama was a sight to see, someone made the comment "they are all different but the same"

Deescott likes this.
  27. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

28. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

I thought about starting a thread featuring those wacky 70s show cars, but I thought I'd get flamed into the next century for not being traditional. I never did do a search, though. Might be a thread already out there. Anyway, that sort of thing (including Roth's creations) is part of our tradition in hotrods and kustoms, so I'll stick by my guns and say I like the wacky stuff.

29. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

How about posting a pic of the hubcap?;)

30. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

I'll go to the tattoo shop later today and grab my digital camera and get one on here for ya. To be 100% honest and to give credit where it's due, the hubcap was a collaboration of Ed Roth and Dennis McPhail. McPhail was working in Roth's booth at the '96 World of Wheels in KC.