Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fiberglass Model T Coupe??????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atomcfl, Jul 21, 2008.

1. atomcfl

atomcfl

Anyone know of a manufacture of fiberglass model t coupe bodies for sale?????? Something like the model a's bruiser offers?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>

2. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

I've never heard of a T coupe in glass. The OG steel ones are pretty easy to find and relatively inexpensive though. Find one with doors though. Buying the doors alone gets expensive!

3. atomcfl

atomcfl

Are you part of Austin Speed Shop? I have seen alittle of what comes out of there on another site "chopper dogs" some pretty cool stuff!!! Kind of wanting a glass car. lighter....
    Honestly don't know any better. glass seems easier to work to me. I own an english wheel, thats about it.

4. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

FWIW- Don't know of any current mfgs., but I came across this on e-bay the other day: item 330253608178. A Cal. Automotive coupe from waaaaaaaaaay back in the day.

Attached Files:

5. atomcfl

atomcfl

I saw that thing..... Really just want the body. Any opinions on the rest of the car?

6. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

What are your plans for the build? They're so small and light anyway, I don't think weight will be an issue for you. Steel is the way to go. Fiberglass isn't bad, it's just different. I'll assume since you're on here that this is going to be a traditionally styled car? OG steel feels great, has soul and history....that to me just can't be duplicated. Resale value is always better too with steel. If you can use that english wheel than you'll be fine. Just start with a body that is something you feel comfortable tackling. Don't get in over your head. I've seen near PERFECT old steel 26-27 model T bodies go from $4K-$6K . I've seen useable ones that need some patch panels and a little love as low as $800-$1500.
    Yes I'm at the Austin Speed Shop. Thanks man!

7. I don't buy the lighter argument. There's not a lot in an early body, but when you put all the steel and wood etc into a glass body to make it useable they are often a fair bit heavier than a steel one. And street glass is a lot thicker than race car glass - or it should be!

8. el chuco

el chuco

You might give Old Dog Street Rods a call and see if they're selling the glass T-coupe bodies. Looks like a decent deal if you don't have the time or means to find a steel one. Good luck and have fun whether glass or steel.
    http://www.olddogstreetrods.com/bodies.pdf

9. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

I have seen several glass T's. They looked like decent bodies but I have a steel one and wasn't interested. I didn't catch the name. They had them at the Pate swapmeet in April. I think they went for 4500-5000. if I'm not mistaken. TP

10. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

model t heaven has a real one for 700 dollers why spend 5000 on glass (google it model t heaven )

11. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

Wow, I'm really surprised that someone is going to repop those in glass. I love T-coupes....but only when they're channeled and channeled well, hopefully their inner structure allows for that to be done easily. Don't know much about glass cars....

12. atomcfl

atomcfl

What do you mean by "Channeled Well" What should one look for? Next stupid question..... model a frame or model t? I'm wanting a a flathead with a t5, stright axel, and a nice chop.

13. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

Hes saying being able to channel it or drop the body over the frame so the body is closer to the ground buy rasing the floor boards . And i dont no if you can chop a fiberglass body or channel it and i dont want to find out

14. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

A frame or build your own. T frame is junk.

15. atomcfl

atomcfl

Thanks for the lead. Any sujestions about this car?

16. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

If you are going to build a car buy the real deal . The guy that owens model t heaven has been good to me . If you have to money try to find a complete car . If not get the 700 hundred dollor car and buy parts as you find then. It looks to be all there and they work with you on the shipping

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  17. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

[​IMG]It needs some patch panels there cheap and doors are around and if you take your time you can find a deal on them. You need a welder !If you have the skills you can build a frame or speed way has frames for cheap money.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  18. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

in texas it is (rust no more) I think. they have a 32 5 window a t coupe a 31 pickup etc

19. The doors are expensive. The last set I saw had a price of $ 1500.00 just for the two doors. Deck lids are tough to find too. I have two bodies, a 26, and a 27. Both will require lots of work. I'm hoping my Dad will build one, and I'll build the other one. http://www.olddogstreetrods.com/bodies.pdf Old Dog has one, I haven't seen it yet. Dean

20. Lil' Toot

Lil' Toot
    from Tulsa, OK

Russ NoMore Street Rods make em. Haven't seen one in person, but have always heard good things about their quality. And having done design work for them, I know they are nice people. Got em standard or pre channeled, starting at $4950.
    http://www.russnomorestreetrods.com

21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Indeed... see http://www.russnomorestreetrods.com/

I just ordered their 27T closed cab (sort of a phantom, extra roomy) which I don't think is on their web site yet. I visited their booth at GG Atlanta and they had some interesting 1/2 bodies on display. Construction looks very nice and trick. The coupe is very roomy, almost changed my mind on the cab. I've no commercial interest in this post, just trying to help out. Gary

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  22. They first showed the coupe at Louisville 10-15 years ago...and it was junk. BUT it looks like they have done their homework, cuz these photos look like they are making first class bodies.

23. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

fiberglass blows

24. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I can understand buying a glass 32. Cost is a consideration. But I have a feeling you could find a nice Steel T coupe for the same price or less than a new glass one. And after you get into your build, and all the pieces start falling into place, you'll be glad you went steel. Plus part of the fun part is hunting down that nice body and bringing it back to life. I have seen some nice Glass bodied cars. I may even use glass one day for something. But I've never been fooled by one. Once again, this is not a swipe at the glass cars, more like a nod to the steel ones.

25. Might be cool to build one and drive it while looking for a steel body.

26. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I plan on being very happy with my 27T glass body. It has all the mods I would have made if I was a body man and could have done them myself. But I can't. Besides, the bed, hood and grill will be steel or aluminum on my CCPU, anyway.

Besides, a repro is a repro is a repro - in steel, glass, carbon fiber or paper mache. Re-pop steel parts or bodies are still repops. If you can live with stuff from places like Brooksville or Dearborn (no matter how nice), then you should be able to let others live with a little fiberglas. Gary

27. chaddilac

chaddilac

What the heck is that box up by the header???

28. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

That's all that matters.

Don't sell yourself short. Metal is just metal. It's actually easy and fun to learn as you go. I bet you'd be pretty good. With the Hamb as your resource, you're way ahead.

I see the point you're trying to make. I can live with other people doing fiberglass. I just think that one should weigh their options. 2 or 3 grand for a Glass T body, or 2 or 3 grand for a nice steel one. It's worth weighing the two. I dig fiberglass for certain stuff, my hero (ROTH!)used fiberglass. Plus tons of awesome racecars.

29. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Gotta put that 9 disc changer somewhere!:D:rolleyes:

30. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

Its 5000 for a fiberglass body theres a nice steel one for sale on the hamb for three grand . Its not worth buying fiberglass. For 7500 you can buy a running driving all stock 27 t coupe.