Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy 250 I6 integrated head?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldsrocket, Jun 25, 2008.

1. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

I'm new to I6s and was wondering what the heck an "integrated head" was on a chevy 250. Is this a bad thing, does it limit hop-up options? What can I do to get around it? I'm about to do a deal on a 250 runner for a pretty nice price and it has this type of head, just wondering if I should bail on it or not. Thanks.

casting info:
    Engine codes:
    GM

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

The intake is cast integrally with the cylinder head, like an old Falcon six. Obviously, you're stuck with the stock intake. They also seemed to crack a bit more often than the older style heads.

3. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

damn. will it take a non-integrated style head to get around the issue?

4. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Yes, if you want to run any sort of aftermarket intake. The shame of it is that the trucks with integral head engines had a '53 Corvette style factory split dual outlet exhaust manifold that won't fit the early non integral heads.

5. David Chandler

David Chandler

Which one do you have, the one barrel single exhaust set up, or the 2 barrel dual exhaust one? The single barrel one makes good torque, but the runners are very small with a triangular shape to them, and lots of lumps and bumps on the bottom where it goes over the exhaust ports, so adding a bigger carb may not help a lot. Also the exhaust guides limit how much it can exhale. The 2 barrel one can work well if you replace the stock carb with a decent two barrel, and you don't have to get the exhaust manafold split to run duals. It just won't sound as good as a split system. I've got the single barrel head for mine, and was thinking of getting the older style head for it. But the yards around here are crushing everything in sight, and I haven't found one yet.

6. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

Have you been over to inliners.org? There's lots of good info on these engines over there.

You should check out the Leo Santucci book. Tom Langdon is a good source of info, as is Twisted6 who's a member on this board. They'll tell you to find the older style head. The one you probably want is off of the 194.

I have a 292 that I'm going to try to stuff into my Nova.

David Chandler, what part of NH are you from. I grew up in Claremont and lived in Nashua for a bit.

7. Twisted6

Twisted6

If your not going to rebuild the whole motor, But maybe just make a few small
    up grades. Like cam, Dual exhaust of some type. Tom langdons dual cast Exhaust, Headers. Intake swap. then the 194 head is a good way to bump up the compression. On the stock dished piston.

8. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

[​IMG]

9. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

I've been to inliners.org It is helpful. Also been to Langdon's site.

I didn't buy the 250. But I did find a 292 for a decent price locally.

My main concern is whether or not it is going to be too long for what I'm putting it into (1940 studebaker).

Does anybody have an idea of the length of the 250/292 from the bellhousing mating surface to the water pump snout? I'd like to measure and see if it will fit before I commit to buying one of these motors.

Thanks.

10. 63chevyII is right on . You NEED Leo Santucci's book "Chevrolet Inline Six-Cylinder Power Manual " . It's the bible for inliner Chevy guys . If you have a chance at a 292 cid BUY IT !! They aren't nearly as common as the low deck blocks since they only came in trucks . You can modify the firewall a bit if you have to . By the way , they have offset motor mounts so you'll have to cobble something together for that . The low deck blocks use the same mounts as the SBC

11. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

Driverside mount is in the same spot, passenger side is a little forward.

Here is the passenger side mount on a 292 in a 65? chevelle.
    [​IMG]

With this solution, you need to use an electronic fuel pump.

12. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

on these motors (292), is the oil sump up front or in the rear? If it's up front I might still be in trouble. It looks like it's made so that the cross member goes under it. In my case the cross member is moved pretty far forward and attaches to the radiator/grille/fender support.

Do they make rear sump pans/pickups?

Here's a couple pics. The rivetted bump-out directly in the center and infront of the cross member with the bolt and rubber biscuts sitting in it is the mounting hole for the support.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

the 250s have a rear sump oil pan I believe.

14. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

Any possibility of using a 250 oil pump/pickup and pan on a 292?

15. Twisted6

Twisted6

The 292 is also a rear sump Oil Pick-up BUT the oil pan is deeper then that of the 250s But YES the pans will change out.