Register now to get rid of these ads!

i need help finding a universal joint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by miky2001, Jun 4, 2008.

1. miky2001

miky2001
    from houston

i am trying to find a place that can sell me a u joint.

i am using an 88 astrovan driveshaft and a 88 s10 blazer rear end.

the u joint end caps are 1.185" and 1.125" diameter, 3.65" width measured from the end of the caps.

i have been to 3 parts stores today and they all look at me like i am talking latin or something.

i am in houston.

thanks for any help

mike

2. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

go to a NAPA they have a book that has all of the dimensions of the u joints. it shouldnt take them 5 minutes to get you the right one.

3. chevy69

chevy69

they have a book at oreilly's to i work there only challenge is finding the right guy who will actually take the time to look it up in the book most the new guys wont bother if its not in the computer we must not have it

4. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Amen to that! You gotta have a go to guy at the parts store who likes the idea of helping you find odd stuff for you ride.

5. The Oreillys on Kuykendahl near Louetta in Spring helped me find mine. Thye have the book and a good attitude. Took them aboput 10 minutes to find the number and one day to get it.

6. PRoz

PRoz

7. guiseart

guiseart

oh.. wait... i mis-read that.
    (putting the frisbee back under the couch)

8. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

Go to Houston Drive Train 713-675-6375

danny

9. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

Do you need an adapter joint for two different length yokes? That would be one where the cross has two different lengths and two different size caps.
    If so that joint is usually a DANA 5-3022X.
    That MAY be a NAPA NPJ P372 or NUJ 2400356.

If it is NOT an adapter joint it should be NAPA NPJP534G.

10. aldixie

aldixie

NAPA should have it. I had to use one on my 50 Chevy, has Astro van driveshaft to 78 Camaro rearend. I have the part number in my garage somehwere.

11. miky2001

miky2001
    from houston

i got one finally, it is a 1330 -1350 conversion. thanks everyone for the help

12. That's exactly the problem with most parts stores today.
    Junkyards in our area have become the same way.
    Went through the same problem getting a generator belt for my Comet.
    Not in his computer.
    I told him to take the old one in the back and match it up, I don't care what it came from.
    Said he didn't know how.
    He couldn't go backwards, as in pull the part then look it up on the computer/register.
    Said he could only pull parts if he searched them first.
    Asked if I could and he said, due to insurance reasons, I wasn't allowed behind the counter.
    Local Napa was helpful so I bought 3 just to avoid the problem in the future.
    Parts stores suck for the most part now.

13. beetlejuice55

beetlejuice55

14. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

speedway motors has a nice chart on the web site for crossing over ujoints too.
    Dave

15. Some Astro vans used a 1350 series u-joint at the rear. 1 3/16 diameter caps. The other side should be inside snap ring GM 3R series, 1 1/8" caps.
    Your conversion should be Precision 447. Dana has offered that u-joint, but they buy it from somebody else and repackage.
    NAPA, O Reillys, and some others sell Precision. Forget Auto Stoned and Advance.

16. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

As stated, go to a NAPA store or any store where they don't wear uniforms and know how to look up items in catalogs. If they don't have catalogs, you know you're in the wrong place.

When you find a store that can find that illusive u-joint, point out to them the Hell you went through trying to find it and make it a point to go to THAT store for everything else you need. They'll begin to remember you and reward you for your loyalty in one way or another.

Vance

17. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Im assuming you have a computer and thats how you post here! Do your research and you can actually come up with the part numbers for the stores like advance and auto zone. I do this stuff all the time. I print out the description sheet with the part number and make sure its in the store then after a 5 minute drive i hand it to the dummy behind the counter and he gets it for me.. A little work on your part ahead of time can save a lot of bullshit at the store.. Most of the time these guys dont have a clue what you want unless its printed out for then to read.. Shit if you have time to post here you have time to research your parts. :)
    Dave

18. long island vic

long island vic

19. miky2001

miky2001
    from houston

i am blessed with the gift of having access to a computer indeed. i did my research like i should have after i posted this. strange engineering PN U1648. or precision PCN-459.

now with my handy dandy computer, i can do the work the parts guys get paid for. thanks for setting me straight.

forgive me for wasting everyones time.

20. socal57chevy

socal57chevy

Any parts I have to buy that may be hard to locate later, I tear the part # from the box and file it with the receipts for that car. Most of my stuff is original 1957 or 1989 S-10, but I do have some oddball 67 Impala parts (driveshaft) and by the time you incorporate the parts from a dozen cars to make one...well, I have a hard time remembering what part came from which car.