Register now to get rid of these ads!

Retrotek

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kenbo, Mar 23, 2008.

1. kenbo

kenbo
    from Texas

After four weeks and tons of trouble shooting I think we are the rite track. It runs but still have lots of tuning to do. Retrotek says with a few days of driving it should be ok. I hope he is rite the 6X2 sure looks good....Update read my new post we give up its one problem after the other. do youtube search retrotek and hear it run.

2. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

If you are getting no vendor support, then file a claim with the credit card to reverse payment and then send it back. Thats BS if they sell you a part, then tell you that one is obsolete.

3. Isn't this unit the same as the one Moon Equipment was marketing?

If so there is a thread here with contact info and such in it.

There is always the possibility of using an Accel DFI, FAST type controler and shit can the stuff you are having problems with.

4. jaysberman

jaysberman

I had no end of trouble with their computer and finally had it replaced with one from F.A.S.T. Their unit is great and in the right hands is adjustable in 100rpm increments. Ardun flathead with 3 of retro teks throttle bodies.

5. drhotrodmd

drhotrodmd

Ken never did any good helping me after i bought a unit from him. He gets your money then sticks it up your ass. I would have thought you would get better service after dropping big bucks with the guy.I switched back to a 2x4 carb setup and have zero problems now. I'll never buy from Ken ever again.

6. Abomination

Abomination

They're not too bad-a-guys, but you may be better off using a Megasquirt computer there.

Or hounding them for support. :)

~Jason

7. kenbo

kenbo
    from Texas

RETROTEK: going into forth week and still wont run (good enuff to drive) We spoke to retorotek and they told us to drive the car and it will auto learn...LOL... It's kinda hard to drive a car at idle to keep it from shooting fire balls thru the breathers. If we could drive it we wouldnt be so damn pissed off. This system is for sale we are going back to 3X2 carbs from VINTAGE SPEED Ive used his stuff before and was very satisfied. I hear retrotek has some good stuff too if thats true we sure didnt get it. The guys we spoke too were willing to assist over the phone but you cant fix bad parts with a phone call. This is my oppinion from my experience Ill never use it again Ill stick with what I know works. Fuel injection belongs on a toyota not a hot rod...Live and learn!!!!!!!!!!!

8. I understand your angst at this point. It sucks because one sour event like this taints your opinion on all injections. Before you spend that much money again I am sure you will do a ton of research before you spend.

Meanwhile, I'm sorting out the wiring that came with my Accel DFI, :eek:

9. drhotrodmd

drhotrodmd

The unit i got from them had to big of injectors. They were rated for a 600hp big block. The unit was going on a stock 350 Chevy too. It also had the old computer and harness was messed up. It will work if you mess with it enough.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_ZGVuImUlS0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_ZGVuImUlS0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

10. drhotrodmd

drhotrodmd

I put two fours on instead cause i wasted 3 yrs trying to make something work that never will run. Give up now before you get any deeper in it.

[​IMG]

11. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

What about Hillborn? Are they any better? Seem to be about the same amount of money, and honestly, the Hillborn stacks are awesome! Anybody using it?

12. I am no expert by any stretch here when it comes to EFI but I am learning. Without being there to observe it sounds like the engine is running lean. Pops through the intake are a classic sign of it. Is it possible you have a restricted fuel line or fuel filter possibly an inadequate fuel pump? Have you checked your fuel line pressure?

Not advocating it but some have pinched the return line to raise the fuel pressure. If your idle improves by doing so, it would sure help diagnose the issue.

13. kenbo

kenbo
    from Texas

Good idea but we have new stainless hard line and maintain 45 pounds of preasure. Its in the computer now we can accually drive till about 1/4 throtle and then it runs out of gas. I know its lean but cant make it fat thats the problem. Retrotek wants us to drive it but I dont agree with driving a car running too lean. Plus its really really really loud when it back fires thru the intake every fifteen seconds.

14. drhotrodmd

drhotrodmd

Mine would never run on all six cause it was sucking too much air and would go lean. Make some block off plates and try unpluging the injectors on the ones you block off. Start with blocking the center 2 and you will notice a difference.