Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 9 Inch Axle Seals/Wheel Bearing Advice Would Be Nice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31aBoy, Mar 3, 2008.

1. 31aBoy

31aBoy

I know this has been discussed a few times on the Hamb. More guys are running the 9 inch then have replied to those old threads.

So what is the trick to have leak free axles? Running a sealed bearing with seals? No seals?

I have also found and inner tube seal that i think installs from inside the center section.
    http://www.allstarperformance.com/product.htm?prod=747
    Anyone have any luck with those?

Found these on a stock car website..
    http://www.stockcarproducts.com/rear8.htm

2. 348tripower

348tripower

Sealed bearings and seals. It cured my leaks. I was running sealed bearings only to begin with.
    Don

3. Drive Em

Drive Em

The inner seals are circle track parts aimed at keeping the lube in the diff on hard cornering, they are made to fit 3" DOM tubing that most floater 9" rear ends use. They could work on a regular 9" as long as the fit on the axle, and on the tube I.D. is correct. If you have a tapered roller bearing on the axle, that type of seal is no good because the bearings rely on the diff lube for lubrication. On regular ball bearing 9" housing ends, I install the axle seal with the correct tool that will not destroy it, dab a little RTV all around the edge of the seal so it will seal to the housing, and smear a little RTV around the circumference of the bearing when I install it in the housing. Using those tips will almost always guarantee a leak free housing end.

4. use the proper bearing (large or small , depending on what you have) and new seals and you will be ok

5. 31aBoy

31aBoy

Anyone know this tool he is talking about?

6. paulie_boy13

paulie_boy13
    from NC

I use a soft mallet up against the seal then strike the soft mallet with another soft mallet until the axle seal seats.

7. 31aBoy

31aBoy

Right, a seal driver...but you cant use a seal driver like that to install seals in the 9inch, when the axle hub is in the way...

8. what? what kind of 9" do you have?

in the real world , with normal 9" rears.....the axle seals are inside the housing ends....you install them BEFORE you put in the axle with the bearing pressed on

i've done this many times

9. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

Which bearing is in your rear the sealed bearing or the two piece bearing were the bearing is press on the axle and the race is in the housing. If you have the two piece bearing the seal is between the bearing and the axle mounting plate. You need to remove the bearing to replace this seal. Usually you end up replacing the bearing too. This style bearing is hard to stop from leaking. This seal needs to go in strait and you should use some sealer around the outside edge of the seal.

I hate working on that style bearing.

10. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

Picture of the two styles

Attached Files:

• axle.jpg
      axle.jpg
      File size:
      19.3 KB
      Views:
  11. Leon

Leon

I have the 2 piece with the seal on the outside and use Hylomar to make sure the seal doesn't leak. It is like RTV but doesn't harden so if it is put in right it stays sealed. They are a pain but with this stuff it is easier to seal.

Attached Files:

12. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

never seen the style of the axle on the right hand side, all the ones I have seen are the same as the one on the left.

always used sealed bearing and never had any leaks.

13. chop32

chop32

Check the condition of the portion of the axle housing that the seal drives into.
    I once had a 9" that wouldnt seal and later found that someone had previously gouged the housing (probably trying to remove the seal). I cleaned the area up with a die grinder and installed the seal with a little RTV and it stopped the leak.

14. Old Rod

Old Rod
    from Brazil, IN

My housing is gouged like chop32, I tried RTV only and didn't seal. Anyone have the
    correct seal number (at least I will know I have the correct seal)? My rear is 57 pass,
    small sealed bearing, 28 spline. Thanks Bob

15. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

I have 4 housing laying on the floor with that style bearing. Not sure what they are out of. I got them for a guy that raced late models in N.J.

16. Do you have a breather on the axle housing?
    If not, increased pressure due to heat could help push oil past the seal.

Here's a couple pics of a home-made one.
    It is baffled inside, but oil still gets carried out.
    Just enough to dirty up the axle housing, I've never seen a drip from this area and never had to top off the oil in 48,000 miles of running.

The oil still looks clean when it's checked.
    The diff etc. doesn't see a whole lot of load cuz the 32 is such a light weight car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Old Rod

Old Rod
    from Brazil, IN