Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Overdrive

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4-banger, Mar 1, 2008.

1. 4-banger

4-banger
    from Tucson

What are some good reasonably priced overdrives that will work on a model A? I know of the mitchell overdrive kit and the Columbia 2 speed rear end, but what are some others?

2. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Go over to "The Ford Barn" site and either search for Model A O.D.s or post an inquiry on the Model A page. There's a guy in Ohio who adapts B-W R-10s to a Model A driveshaft and eliminates the electrics. Since it goes right in the middle of the driveshaft/torque tube, it's not obvious.

3. madmax

madmax
    from Calif.

Jim Norman at Old Ford Garage 1-760-749-6317 He does the Volvo units that are a bolt in for the Model A's

4. Darwin

Darwin

Check out this guy:
    http://www.modelaonly.com/services

Really good solution--really not cheap--2900bucks.

It's a Ford T-170 trans--3speed with overdrive--converted to a bolt-in for stock A drivetrains. It may be a more complex install than a Mitchell Overdrive but it's full syncro and is also available for V8 cars.

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

'40-48 Lincoln OD trans...normal V8 engine/torque tube flanges. Stock, it will have one of the close ratio gearsets, 25 or 26 tooth, and about .7 OD, meant to be used with 4.44 gears for best results. Requires substantial driveshaft shortening.
    Lots of people have been looking at T5's with four-wheel-drive tail, which offers a nice flat place that might just accept a Ford TT U-Joint housing casting...
    That might well prove a good way.

6. 4-banger

4-banger
    from Tucson

7. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I have a friend in Texas that builds a kit with the topshifted toploader aluminum 4 speed as the heart. They do a lot of machine work so you don't have to hack the cross member. He gets around 2700 and that includes the shortened driveshafr/tube and everything else you need.
    His A coupe with a/c on will cruise 60-65 no problem

8. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

look at nosurf's tech on his lincoln OD install... it was in techweek

9. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

Dwight Bond...the guy that had Gibbon Fiberglass...makes an adaptor kit for mounting a T-5 trans. 308-468-5885 or 308-468-6237

10. JP

JP
    from BayArea

I had a chance to visit Dave at his house this past weekend and picked up one of his Weber Kits. One of the nicest people I have meet and i could have spent the whole afternoon talking with him (never felt like he was rushing me out). The quality of his work is some of the best I have seen, and he has a wealth of knowledge. I look forward to getting some more of his products.

11. pcmenten

pcmenten

My wife bought a 29 Model A with a dual stick transmission. I drove it and the second stick is an overdrive. I can't find any information about this. I'll have to crawl underneath it to get a better look but it is attached to the original transmission and the torque tube is attached to the other side.

Does anybody have any idea what kind of overdrive that is? AA?

12. fulltimeforester

fulltimeforester
    from california

I have a Borg Warner in my two door that works well, from a '50's stude I think. But the
    T5 from an S10 is what I'm going to put in my '31. A kit is available for 895.00, includes
    everything except the trans. Auto Restorations
    215 W. Gilbert St.
    Muncie, Indiana 47305 1-800-955-3139
    He does have rebuilt transmissions available

13. Tedders

Tedders

Do you have contact info?