Register now to get rid of these ads!

Obtaining Ca. titles for abandoned field finds?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lewislynn, Jan 31, 2008.

1. lewislynn

lewislynn

I recently was offered the opportunity to acquire some vehicles for the taking. I've only seen pictures, the field is a 5 hr drive away.

One is a (I think) 47 or 48 Studebaker truck that looks like it was driven up, parked and left. One is a 56 F100 small window cab with doors. One is a 53/54? F100 that has had a chassis alteration with IFS etc.

The condition is I can have whatever I want but I have to take it all. Do I need titles to scrap the vehicles I don't want.

BTW, the owner has another piece of property he wants cleaned up too but I haven't seen any pics from that yet.

Attached Files:

2. First one I,d take would be that Stude.....just in case I couldn,t get back.

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'm pretty sure you need a title to give them to the junk yard.

you don't need a title to cut them up with a torch and take them to the scrap dealer

4. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

+1 on that.

5. chopped

chopped

And you don't need one to part them out. People sell cars all the time with "bill of sale only" And you can't beat the price.

6. The ones you don't want look like organ donors.

7. lewislynn

lewislynn

LOL! That's the one I want. If it wasn't for that one I wouldn't even bother. My friend that sent the pics said there's more there. He said there was a 60's CHP (California Highway Patrol) car there...I think CHP used all Chrysler products in the 60's.

8. knotheads

knotheads

california requires a current lic tag or a moving permit to even trailer or tow a vehicle. so if theres no title i suggest you transport them in an enclosed trailer.

9. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

You can trailer a non-licensed car.. I do it all the time... I have a local junkyard/scraper that will pick up cars with no title. He picks them up as scrap... Jason

10. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Yah, that's not right. I drag unlicensed junk thru the parking lot of the Highway Patrol office ALL the time. They even know me by name.

You will need a title if you ask something like Pick Your Nose to take the junk you don't want. They won't touch it otherwise. If you drag it across the scales, they'll ask for a title as well.

It's a liability thing. Unless you can find someone to haul it off for you......super secret like.:D

11. lewislynn

lewislynn

Now you've opened another can of worms. Would I have to go through the truck scales with a car on a car trailer?

12. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Nope. Only if your load is so many pounds and I don't think you'll hit that SO many pounds with a single car trailer and a truck. Unless you managed to get a Sherman Tank on that trailer.:D

13. garyv

garyv

I have a 32' trailer with 2 car capacity. I've been across at least 30 different states. No, you don't have to stop at weigh stations.

I have a question: if using a tow dolly does the car you are carrying have to have a plate on it or does the plate on the dolly cover it?

gary

14. I was always told that if the car's wheels touch's the street as in the back wheels not on the dolly that it needed to be registered. Now that being said I have done it alot over the years with cars I just bought but I always figured with the write paperwork I could talk my way around it. Thankfully
    I never had too.

CBB

15. Bort62

Bort62
    BANNED

If the car is touching the road, IE tow dolly or tow truck (non flatbed) it needs to be registerd or have a permit to move.

So just tow it backwards with no front plate... works for me.

16. brewsir

brewsir

You can gey titles for the older stuff by filing for lost titles..just need a vin verification and a story about where you stored them all these years. The newer ones can be lien saled (I guess the legalest way of doing the old ones is a lien sale too...but it costs more)

17. True till Death

True till Death

Here in CT if the cars are older then 10 years old you don't need a title. If its newer then 10 years you need to supply a title but half the places here don't even check or ask for one. I guess people where just stealing cars out of commuter lots and scraping them when the price of metal was higher. Last summer you could get $110 a gross ton or more. I brought 3 cars to a junk yard in one day didn't have any problems. Your best bet is to contact your local junk yard, scrape yard and get the info from them. when I brought the 3 cars down I had to make sure there was no gas in the tank and there was a hole in the gas tank...to show there was no gas in it and that was about it they all had fluids in the car, anti freeze, power steering, brake fluid ect. tires and rims on the car, they just took the whole thing as long as there was no gas in the tank.

18. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

That could be scary with a non locking columned 50s car!

19. RodStRace

RodStRace

I agree on being able to haul non current stuff so long as it's not on the road (dolly). Also NO on weigh stations, unless you have a 3 car hauler or something. The Dodge truck looks like a long cab, could make a few bucks...
    I'd also suggest checking local scrap and AW yards before hand. A short pleasant trip is better than having an assortment of stuff all over your yard while you work out the details. Less loading, too.

They used to tow cars tail first before locking columns. Tie a rope on the wheel and close it in the door. Good to do on locking ccolums, too. Seen many break/jam otherwise.....

20. Liv42day

Liv42day

Here in WI we do not need titles to scrap a car. I had 2 Caddies I pulled the 500s out of. The scrap guy came and picked them up wrote down their vins, my driver's license #, and had me sign a piece of paper. Cut me a check for $100 for scrap value and off he went. I am sure he made good money on scrap since they weigh so much but fine by me they are gone. With no titles.

21. fan belt looped over steering wheel andpulled tight then shut in door frame .... done it ..... and well sure others have too

22. knotheads

knotheads

my information came from a AAA tow truck driver so mabe he misunderstood the law.he refused to flat bed tow my daughters car to the trans shop because the tag wasnt current,the car was under a non -op. i had to go get a moving permit first.

23. Bort62

Bort62
    BANNED

Well he was wrong and/or an idiot. I do know this for a fact. If you don't belive me, call DMV or the CHP.

Or just look around - plenty of people towing non registered cars on trailers - like those ecology trucks :)

I prefer a tow-strap on the steering wheel tightened around the brake pedal. If the car has a column lock, I put the key in and disengage it. Last thing you want is that shit locking while you go around a turn.

24. RodStRace

RodStRace

10+ year old thread CAL thread and this is your ILL input?
    I don't get it...

25. evintho

evintho

So did the OP ever get the trucks? We need an update!